Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2012, 10:30   #2521
BANNED

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Comfortable public transport: Do we bother to stand in line, do we care enough to make the existing public transport safe for women? Who breaks the rules? Us.
What public transport. Atempowhich is designed to 7 carrying 14+passengers! There is a much bigger India than the metros.

Quote:
Expensive healthcare: Are private hospitals expensive because of lack of government aid or because of the "boon" of corporate insurance? Who's driving the costs of private medical care? Us.
Both. The state has abdicated healthcare long ago. ALso, even if we have a cols we must go the 'best' corporate hospital. It is unfortunate the GP/family doctor institution is lost in India. Even if I sneeze I must have the best consultant and then insist that he gives me the latest antibiotic.

In countries with good (even if not great) PHS, eg. Canada, Australia, Europe the private sector is much smaller and not normally called. In the UK most people with BUPA coverage will go there only if there is soemthing serious on chronic diagnosed by their GP. The GP (NHS)continues to be the first port of call.

Thank God we have not yet gone the US way where a common cold may cost you over a thousand dollars.

Yes, things are improving.I am glad you picked passport - who is the front end TCS! As transparency comes in things are bound to improve.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:42   #2522
Senior - BHPian

^^A colleague is trying to secure a MBBS seat for his son. Capitation demanded in a popular MC & RI is Rs 50 lakhs. Plus Rs 6.00 lakhs fees P.A. for five years.

And MBBS is just the basic degree, after which he will have to do MD or MS. God knows how much that will cost.

And once this fellow qualifies, the foremost thing on his mind will be recovery of investment; and who can blame him?

The government which should run education is busy selling booze; and booze merchants are selling education.

Last edited by Gansan : 26th May 2012 at 10:43.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 12:55   #2523
Senior - BHPian

No diesel, kerosene price hike, says Oil Minister Jaipal Reddy

After oil marketing companies announced a hike in petrol prices across the country, there has been talk of a subsequent hike in prices of diesel, LPG and kerosene. However, Jaipal Reddy on Monday stated very clearly that there the empowered group of ministers (EGoM) is not considering a hike in diesel and other oil commodities.

Here are the highlights of Jaipal Reddy’s comments:

* Had an informal interaction with Finance Ministry officials on the impact of diesel prices on inflation
* No date fixed yet on the EGoM on diesel prices
* Not considering a hike in diesel prices as of now
* We are not touching the prices of diesel, LPG and kerosene as of now
* Not considering a hike in diesel prices as of now
* We are not touching the prices of diesel, LPG and kerosene as of now
* It was only a meeting of the Inter Ministerial Group on inflation
* I spoke on the price of diesel and the impact of a price rise on inflation
* I will not touch the prices of LPG, kerosene and diesel, full stop
* Have written to the Finance Ministry to consider a higher excise duty on diesel cars
* Am not looking at a dual pricing mechanism for diesel

Source: No diesel, kerosene price hike, says Oil Minister: Highlights
Old 28th May 2012, 13:51   #2524
BANNED

@mukeshgoel; The key word is as of now. We all know that means not today, nothing is sacrosanct from next week.
Old 28th May 2012, 14:21   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Comfortable public transport:
The risks associated with cycling:
Expensive healthcare:
Bribes for all government work:
Yes, there will be counter points as the examples you have stated are unfortunately more exceptions than the rule. Here is my experience with the topics you have mentioned.

Comfortable public transport is a far cry; the shenanigans here do not even offer basic safety. And this is only about buses. Oh wait, thats because we dont have any other mode of public transport here in Pune. Well most part except for a rail line with 10 trains a day to/ from what used to be the industrial suburbs. An hour average between two trains on that single line.
They are still haggling over whether the metro should be over or under the ground. And all of this in one of the 10 biggest cities in India.
Cycling: A pet peeve for me. Cycling paths have been constructed here in Pune. But they are used as footpaths. Why? Because they have been fashioned out of pavements in most places and the remaining footpath width is blocked by electricity poles, rubbish, etc. or have just been plain dug up. Whose job is it to plan this correctly?
Expensive healthcare: if you have seen the Satyamev Jayate episode yesterday, I need not comment anymore. Nevertheless, do we have any social security? Any average Indian middle class household is at risk of being only one major illness away from selling assets, probably even their house. Despite medical insurance which would cover probably 2L worth of costs.
Bribes: I agree this isnt the case for passport work. But have you tried to get an electricity meter transferred in your name? Or perhaps some work at the RTO? It may not sound like a bribe, but being directed to an agent is bad enough for me.

As someone said here; evolution wont work for us. But we keep waiting for someone to come and deliver us from this misery.

Last edited by selfdrive : 28th May 2012 at 14:23.
Old 28th May 2012, 15:41   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@mukeshgoel; The key word is as of now. We all know that means not today, nothing is sacrosanct from next week.
You know what, I think if the government did increase the price of diesel by lets say Rs 5/6/7, it will fall back to the same level as the state governments out of indignation when their protests fall on deaf ears, would be forced to reduce the taxes they collect on diesel for doing nothing spectacular about the producing or selling it. At least in my state, a high diesel price will force Didi's hand to reduce the taxes. She did that for LPG here. As a result the state governments would have to cut on unnecessary expenses (fingers crossed) like repainting the city white and blue or renaming of anything under the sky and countless others. Either way I will be smiling, so bring it on .
Old 31st May 2012, 10:41   #2527
BHPian

Will this be true...?? The news came in News9 channel today
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-31052012760.jpg  

Old 31st May 2012, 12:50   #2528
BHPian

I filled normal HP petrol at HSR layout for 81.12 per litre around 5 days back and yesterday I filled normal HP petrol at Old Airport Road for 81.76 per litre. Why is there a difference between the same HP petrol at two different locations within the city?
Old 31st May 2012, 12:58   #2529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I filled normal HP petrol at HSR layout for 81.12 per litre around 5 days back and yesterday I filled normal HP petrol at Old Airport Road for 81.76 per litre. Why is there a difference between the same HP petrol at two different locations within the city?
This is surprising. But I have noticed this disparity between outskirts of Bangalore and within the city. Earlier when the prices were 73.52, I remember paying 72.9x just outside the city. It was an IOC on NH4.
Old 31st May 2012, 13:02   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
This is surprising. But I have noticed this disparity between outskirts of Bangalore and within the city. Earlier when the prices were 73.52, I remember paying 72.9x just outside the city. It was an IOC on NH4.
I know of the disparity of prices between outskirts of Bangalore and within the city but I was under the assumption that well within the city the prices would be standard.

Maybe the 64 paise difference is due to the fact that in HSR layout is just the standard fillin-shut it and leave while at Old airport road you have these girls doing their part in Customer Service by welcoming you etc.

I haven't seen a difference in the IOC pumps I generally fill in. It was 73.52 (once upon a time) in all places. This time around I decided to try out HP and noticed this difference. Need to check the HP pump near my house to see what price they sell at.
Old 31st May 2012, 13:05   #2531
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have reported this earlier too.

Until this last hike, I paid Rs. 73.52/- at HPCL on Old Airport road (the one just after Brand Factory) and Rs. 73.86/- at HPCL in Brookefield (near Cosmos Mall, ITPL rd).

I think it's got to do with taxation inside/outside city limits.
Old 31st May 2012, 13:10   #2532
BHPian

Quote:
That's quite surprising. Both the places are within Bangalore city limits, so no idea why is this price difference.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:05   #2533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Will this be true...?? The news came in News9 channel today
Good news if it is true. However, I do not see a reduction more than Rs.2/- on petrol if any. This is over and above the reduction planned form midnight by OMCs. The state's coffers are already growing cobwebs. Any further reduction in taxation would mean taking a begging bowl to the center, which will come back empty. But oh yes, we do have enough resources to celebrate our granddaughter's wedding reception in a huge ground and feeding 1000s of people with honest tax payers money. (Sorry for getting cynical)

Quote:
The Petrol pump outside Manyata park at Hebbal has a lower price than any outlet on Bellary road. The difference is usually 40-60 paise. I think it is to do with the city limit or some such thing.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:09   #2534
BANNED

Now BPCL is hinting at a Rs.1.50-Rs.2.00 cut in petrol prices, as predicted when the 7:50 hike was announced. Expect the Rupee and Market to again drop!!
Old 31st May 2012, 14:22   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
That's quite surprising. Both the places are within Bangalore city limits, so no idea why is this price difference.
Here in Goa, we have this price difference too. It is generally at IOC pumps. When asked I got an explanation that it is due to transportation costs attributed to the distance of that particular pump from their depot.
We have depots of all the OMCs in Vasco (near Mormugao port), therefore Petrol in Vasco is 30-40 paise cheaper than Panaji which is 30km away.
I doubt that now HPCL and BPCL has also started the same.

Last edited by carwatcher : 31st May 2012 at 14:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks