Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2012, 17:30   #2656
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
just now news flashed, there will be proposal today for diesel and lpg hike....so get ready guys
Nothing new in this. The oil minister will be given a patient hearing and then the PM will tell him that since the monsoons have failed, he cannot risk even higher inflation so please grin and bear it for now. Or see how you can screw the petrol users more to bridge the deficit.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 24th July 2012 at 17:35.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 19:02   #2657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Nothing new in this. The oil minister will be given a patient hearing and then the PM will tell him that since the monsoons have failed, he cannot risk even higher inflation so please grin and bear it for now. Or see how you can screw the petrol users more to bridge the deficit.
Exactly what i am thinking too!! Want a Solution to fuel, Screw petrol users seem to be the norm!!
Come to think of it, If shell provides fair value of market price, how can PSU's increase the price even more when Shell has kept the prices unchanged?
shadows123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 20:04   #2658
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
Exactly what i am thinking too!! Want a Solution to fuel, Screw petrol users seem to be the norm!!
I drive both Diesel and Petrol cars regularly but I don't think screw petrol users is the objective or the norm, even if diesel is De-regulated petrol prices will not act any different from what they do now.

The problem is, Diesel being used by private cars is a minuscule percentage of the total consumption, and the govt and NGOs are focusing all their energy on trying to take that benefit away from those 1% diesel users.

I'd rather pay the cost of petrol to run my diesel car than pay 30% more on every commodity I buy.

I'm not sure if Govt is incurring any losses by selling diesel at this price, its just that its' not able to recover the value of the multiple layers of taxes they have. Diesel is not a contributor to fiscal deficit, their problem is that its not helping reduce it either, like petrol is.

The game plan is, to blame the 1% misuse of low price diesel for increasing the prices for covering up the fiscal deficit. Its just another irrational measure, like first the FBT, then the ridiculous 3G license prices, then the retrospective amendment scam by the now president and now trying to milk the diesel.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 01:21   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
Come to think of it, If shell provides fair value of market price, how can PSU's increase the price even more when Shell has kept the prices unchanged?
The irony is, to compensate the subsidy in LPG, Kerosene and diesel the govt. punishes the Petrol users by default. actually, it is that society for which the govt. says it gives subsidy is getting affected the most by increase in Petrol prices. They cannot afford a car and they have bikes to commute which runs on petrol.

How many times you fill in fuel for a bike Vs Buy LPG ?? for a normal guy who does not use his bike for touring or for pleasure. LPG lasts for 45 days for a family of 4. A tank full of petrol (10lts ~ approx) will last 15 to max 20 days. At last ends up paying more for the Petrol than the subsidy he gets. move on to middle class, they can afford a petrol car (95%) and not a diesel car. It is those who can afford buying a diesel car is actually enjoying the subsidy rather than a petrol user who gets affected by it.

No offense meant to Diesel car owners, actually even i am looking to procure a Diesel car in the near future.

Increase the LPG, Diesel price and decrease the Petrol prices moderately, so that all 3 of them are in tandem respectively.
revv_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 07:38   #2660
Senior - BHPian

I was seeing in the morning new today and there was breaking news flashing across on one of the TV channels, dont remember exactly which (might be Zee News or Aaj Tak) about a hike in diesel prices in some states and a reduction of prices in few states due to some fuel tax restructuring. Tried to google for the news but could not come across any.

IIRC states like Karanataka, Goa, Gujarat and Odissa will see the diesel prices fall by Rs 2+ whereas for some other states the diesel price is hiked by a meagre 77paises. Will wait for the official news.
Old 25th July 2012, 08:23   #2661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I was seeing in the morning new today and there was breaking news flashing across on one of the TV channels, dont remember exactly which (might be Zee News or Aaj Tak) about a hike in diesel prices in some states and a reduction of prices in few states due to some fuel tax restructuring. Tried to google for the news but could not come across any.

IIRC states like Karanataka, Goa, Gujarat and Odissa will see the diesel prices fall by Rs 2+ whereas for some other states the diesel price is hiked by a meagre 77paises. Will wait for the official news.
Karnataka and price fall?? I highly doubt the source. I would have agreed if it was any other state. But Karnataka govt is fairly useless and only interested in inter party squabbles(read satisfying BSY's massive ego). They said they will reduce state tax on petrol some 2 months ago and we all saw what happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
The irony is, to compensate the subsidy in LPG, Kerosene and diesel the govt. punishes the Petrol users by default. actually, it is that society for which the govt. says it gives subsidy is getting affected the most by increase in Petrol prices. They cannot afford a car and they have bikes to commute which runs on petrol.

How many times you fill in fuel for a bike Vs Buy LPG ?? for a normal guy who does not use his bike for touring or for pleasure. LPG lasts for 45 days for a family of 4. A tank full of petrol (10lts ~ approx) will last 15 to max 20 days. At last ends up paying more for the Petrol than the subsidy he gets. move on to middle class, they can afford a petrol car (95%) and not a diesel car. It is those who can afford buying a diesel car is actually enjoying the subsidy rather than a petrol user who gets affected by it.

No offense meant to Diesel car owners, actually even i am looking to procure a Diesel car in the near future.

Increase the LPG, Diesel price and decrease the Petrol prices moderately, so that all 3 of them are in tandem respectively.
My thoughts exactly. The irony is the team of Manmohan Singh and co which took credit for the reforms in India(due to the boom worldwide) is also the one to head India to disaster thanks to their useless reforms(or lackof) in UPA-2.
Old 25th July 2012, 08:32   #2662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I drive both Diesel and Petrol cars regularly but I don't think screw petrol users is the objective or the norm, even if diesel is De-regulated petrol prices will not act any different from what they do now.

The problem is, Diesel being used by private cars is a minuscule percentage of the total consumption, and the govt and NGOs are focusing all their energy on trying to take that benefit away from those 1% diesel users.

I'd rather pay the cost of petrol to run my diesel car than pay 30% more on every commodity I buy.

I'm not sure if Govt is incurring any losses by selling diesel at this price, its just that its' not able to recover the value of the multiple layers of taxes they have. Diesel is not a contributor to fiscal deficit, their problem is that its not helping reduce it either, like petrol is.

The game plan is, to blame the 1% misuse of low price diesel for increasing the prices for covering up the fiscal deficit. Its just another irrational measure, like first the FBT, then the ridiculous 3G license prices, then the retrospective amendment scam by the now president and now trying to milk the diesel.
As you said, Oil companies crying foul over losses as well as govt doing the same is all speculative losses(on price they could potentially make if it were not subsidized). Basically, the govt screwed up by offering rescue packages(to make Pranab president) for example or passing any policy by appeasing State govts which dole out freebies out of it or eat it up which is in turn shooting them in the back and they just want an easy exit out of their screw up which is by blaming Fuel prices or Europe.
Old 25th July 2012, 09:50   #2663
BANNED

Two bits:

1. The price rise in diesel is a story based on the 'thoughts of the Petroleum Ministry'. There is already talk of pushing it back till after the VP Election and Monsoon Session of Parliament.

2. There is a marginal (<20p) drop is Diesel prices due to rationalisation of transportation costs.
Old 25th July 2012, 11:40   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
What you said yesterday has come true today . There is this news in ET which says that diesel, LPG prices are unlikely to be raised in view of oppostions protest and inflationary pressure.
here is the link
Prices of Diesel, LPG and Kerosene unlikely to be increased - The Economic Times

This is a no show government, when it can manage it's allies how can we even expect that it will manage to win over the opposition too.
It's a shame,we have such a weak Political leadership.
Old 25th July 2012, 11:56   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
What you said yesterday has come true today . There is this news in ET which says that diesel, LPG prices are unlikely to be raised in view of oppostions protest and inflationary pressure.
here is the link
Prices of Diesel, LPG and Kerosene unlikely to be increased - The Economic Times

This is a no show government, when it can manage it's allies how can we even expect that it will manage to win over the opposition too.
It's a shame,we have such a weak Political leadership.
This government is working on predictable lines. You pick up any area and failures are evident. Its not that this has happened in the recent past but this is a result of short sighted policy making since our independence. Politicians who came to power and incidentally from the current ruling parties have played all sorts of caste based, subsidy based, religion based politics hence you can hardly expect that their DNA would be different. Those who dared to speak out or tried to be different were either summarily dismissed or "taken care of". I think the policy failures of all this years will now nail all these idiots once and for all. Fingers crossed to that. Sorry about the post.
Old 25th July 2012, 12:06   #2666
Senior - BHPian

Agriculture sector in Punjab, Northern areas have to turn towards diesel pumpsets in a big way to prevent crops being destroyed due to non-existant monsoon. Any fluctuation in price of diesel is a sure-shot bullet to an out-of-control economy at this stage and escalating price of staple crops beyond control.
Old 25th July 2012, 12:17   #2667
Senior - BHPian

Hehehe. I am laughing at the govts helplessness on this issue. Truly caught between the devil and deep sea. Fundamental mistake made about 60 years ago was to use lpg for cooking gas instead of cng or bio gas which is abundant in India. Also why is no one looking at Indian railways and all state roadways? If these reduce Deisel usage we will cut down Atleast 40% on oil subsidies.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:29   #2668
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Agriculture sector in Punjab, Northern areas have to turn towards diesel pumpsets in a big way to prevent crops being destroyed due to non-existant monsoon. Any fluctuation in price of diesel is a sure-shot bullet to an out-of-control economy at this stage and escalating price of staple crops beyond control.
Any subsidy or support has to be ultimately paid for, be it in higher taxation, inflation, reduction in value of the currency, etc. One may be able to delay the pain,but not eliminate it.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:30   #2669
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol, diesel prices up in 7 states after adjustment of taxes

New Delhi, Jul 25 (PTI): Petrol and diesel prices were on Wednesday hiked in seven states including West Bengal and Maharasthra and that of domestic LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) in six states as state-owned oil firms recalibrated rates to reflect changes in local levies.

The exercise also resulted in petrol and diesel prices being reduced in 11 states like Karnataka, Goa, Gujarat and Odisha from Wedneaday. Besides, LPG prices were reduced in 12 states including Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Odisha.

While there will no change in price of petrol in Delhi, Calcutta would see an increase of Rs 2.52 a litre to Rs 76.13 per liter. Petrol in Mumbai will cost Rs 75.14 from today as against Rs 74.23 per litre till Tuesday. But in Chennai, rates have been cut by Rs 0.97 per litre to Rs 72.19.

The changes in prices of petrol are over and above the Rs 0.70 per litre hike that was affected from July 24.

Diesel price in Delhi would remain unchanged at Rs 41.29 per litre but it would be raised by Rs 0.92 per litre to Rs 44.66 in Kolkata and by Rs 0.89 to Rs 45.28 a litre in Mumbai. But in Chennai, rates have been cut by a marginal 12 paisa to Rs 43.83 a litre.

This follows state-run fuel retailers recalibrating surcharge calculations to align with changes made in local levies like entry tax on crude oil, surcharge on sales tax and Cetral Sales Tax (CST)/purchase tax on inter-company sale, by state governments.

Domestic LPG price has been hiked by Rs 19.43 per 14.2-kg cylinder in Assam, Rs 9.16 in Bihar and Rs 8.72 per bottle in Maharashtra.

LPG will cost Rs 9 more at Rs 423 in Mumbai but there will be no change in rates in Delhi where it is sold at Rs 399.26 per bottle.In Calcutta prices have come down by Rs 4 to Rs 401 and in Chennai by Rs 7 to Rs 386.50.

But the rates of domestic cooking gas have been cut by Rs 10.18 per cylinder in Gujarat, by Rs 7.01 in Tamil Nadu, Rs 3.86 in West Bengal and Rs 4.15 in Odisha. It costs Rs 405 in Calcutta and Rs 393.50 in Chennai.

Source : Link
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 10:21   #2670
Senior - BHPian

So now, Kolkata petrol rate is higher than Bangalore and Mumbai's diesel price is more than Bangalore.

I never thought I'll see the day when fuel prices in Bangalore will be overtaken by another state. Not sure of Hyderabad, but for now, one less thing to crib about Bangalore now..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks