Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 15:20   #3241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

The title of the thread is no longer in line with the discussions ongoing. Perhaps the title should be changed to "Petrol v/s diesel pricing, taxes and subsidies".

If this is a price thread, then the price in Pune for petrol is 79.45 / lit outside city/ octroi limits. It was 76.51/ lit just a month ago (8 Aug) and it was 73.70/ lit just a month before that (14 Jul).
Perhaps all of this is due to the rupee weakening, but the bottom line is that travel is becoming more expensive.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 15:28   #3242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The title of the thread is no longer in line with the discussions ongoing. Perhaps the title should be changed to "Petrol v/s diesel pricing, taxes and subsidies".

If this is a price thread, then the price in Pune for petrol is 79.45 / lit outside city/ octroi limits. It was 76.51/ lit just a month ago (8 Aug) and it was 73.70/ lit just a month before that (14 Jul).
Perhaps all of this is due to the rupee weakening, but the bottom line is that travel is becoming more expensive.
It hurts. Not too long ago it was down to 63-64 in Delhi and road trips were practical. Now that it's touching 74 it's difficult to plan one. For people like me who have limited earnings & savings it's better to keep usage limited to the city and forget about drives extending 1500+ kms.
Old 6th September 2013, 15:36   #3243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
It hurts. Not too long ago it was down to 63-64 in Delhi and road trips were practical. Now that it's touching 74 it's difficult to plan one. For people like me who have limited earnings & savings it's better to keep usage limited to the city and forget about drives extending 1500+ kms.
5 years ago in 2008 August, i had purchased my Petrol Accent and i used to fill Petrol at 40 bucks a litre,yes 40,that is almost half of what it is today.
It would have been okay,if my pay scale had risen at a similar rate,unfortunately it hasnt.My running increased to almost 120kms a day,tried to cope up with petrol for a year,but gave up and got an oil burner.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 15:58   #3244
BHPian

Quote:
Ouch. You seem to have assumed a little bit too much for your own good. Firstly, noone is crying (atleast I am not) I was questioning the statement in regards to why people buy diesel vehicles in the first place. To own one and all that jazz..we have enough evidence on threads here and people we know in person who buy diesels because of the fuel cost factor. I'm not denying some people have other reasons for buying a diesel vehicle. But it's very obvious why majority of our junta buys it.

Noone is a crab and frankly speaking your usage of words like suffering are amusing to say the least. Talk about not answeing a question and venting against a society that you are a part of.

Before you go into launch mode again keep calm and read my question again.
You may not be crying , but there are enough people who are. And there are enough comments from them on similar lines as yours. So if it doesn't reflect on you, please feel free to ignore it. And please accept my apologies if I have misunderstood your intentions.

Coming to diesel, yes there are people who buy diesel vehicles after paying 1 lakh premium. They either want to save some money because their day to day mileage is high, or they are part of the herd crowd who buy the latest in thing, or they are buying it because they don't have a choice ( some vehicles don't come with non diesel option).

Yes, the latest fad in town is to buy a Diesel vehicle. I have one, because I didn't have a choice for petrol. But ,I know enough people who bought diesel vehicles assuming

1) Overall running cost will be low
2) Resale will be better

Funny thing is most people who I know bought a diesel , don't use it for more than 20 kms a day on average. The only person out of like 60 people(I know) uses his vehicle properly. He has weekly Bangalore-Hyderabad runs and thats it. Comming to Aam junta, virtually everyone is in some form of IT company , right ? How much actual usage would that person have on a monthly basis ? Think about it . All that the typical aam Junta would do is probably a 20-40 km trip to office and back 5 days a week.

To summarize, our typical person has " kitna deti hai" mentality. But that mentality is not translating into diesel consumption. Thats my opinion and thats what I am trying to project.

I would like to link some statistics TO People who think private Diesel vehicles are the reason of them paying more in Petrol ( its unfortunately a dated material , 2 years old)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/11249656.cms

Coming to Suffering, Do you feel nice paying INR 20-30 a liter in Taxes for petrol ? I certainly don't, especially when good amount of my salary goes in taxes.While you might not feel the pinch, I am sure there are people who do feel the pinch.

And Suffering comes in various sizes , Some suffer from a disease, some suffer from loss of property, some suffer poverty and some suffer a tennis match loss. IN this scenario, we are suffering from taxation on Fuel.

Coming to Society , I Did say " WE INDIANS" . That includes me as part of society too , if I am not mistaken.

Last edited by dreadknight5 : 6th September 2013 at 16:20. Reason: grammar
dreadknight5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 00:10   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not too long ago it was down to 63-64 in Delhi and road trips were practical. Now that it's touching 74.
Come to think of it, I had not been following petrol prices after I got a diesel car. So, since the deregulation has come in, the overall increase in petrol is INR 10? If that is the case, the same increase has happened to diesel too, overall INR 10, from INR 45 at my place to INR 55 now! And more, going by percentage.

Some respite for petrol, to feel not completely let down
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 19:32   #3246
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : Please stick to the topic.

The debate on petrol vs diesel cars can be discussed over here.

Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2013 at 19:33.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 20:00   #3247
BHPian

CNG prices in Mumbai have increased from 35.95 to 38.95 wef 7 sept 2013.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:48   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
CNG prices in Mumbai have increased from 35.95 to 38.95 wef 7 sept 2013.
You guys are lucky! Try 68.50 for a change and maybe that'll make you feel good. Ahmedabad has the highest prices for CNG pan-India. Some time back I had put up a post about the plight of the CNG industry in Ahmedabad and how these soaring prices is killing it.

Read it here

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 10th September 2013 at 10:58.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:56   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Isnt that how the govt has been functioning since last 10 years ?

She is getting too old to run this country single handedly(also proven that her son is good for nothing). As concerned Indians, dont you think we all should give her some rest in the upcoming elections ? at least a break from 5 year term will help her rejuvenate
I think its best if the thread is not turned into a political one. One should and needs to comment on government policies regarding oil, but trying to blame single party or individual will not help in creating solutions, just fan the general frustration and take away from the primary goal of this thread. Lets stick to policies regarding oil, renewable energy and environment which have direct impact. Hopefully someone sitting on a powerful seat might one day glance upon this forum and get good ideas. what say!
Old 10th September 2013, 11:43   #3250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
I think its best if the thread is not turned into a political one. One should and needs to comment on government policies regarding oil, but trying to blame single party or individual will not help in creating solutions, just fan the general frustration and take away from the primary goal of this thread. Lets stick to policies regarding oil, renewable energy and environment which have direct impact. Hopefully someone sitting on a powerful seat might one day glance upon this forum and get good ideas. what say!
I totally agree with you but the politics are part of this thread because since long we are observing politics with respect to fuel pricing and also on the strategy such as exploration, and imports.

I was reading an ownership review of E20 few mins back. Why are we not seeing many of these cars on our roads ? Govt knows that we are dependent on Oil yet the electric cars do not get the subsidy they deserve.

Coming to oil prices, Govt is collecting tax on diesel and returning it back to oil companies shedding crocodile tears. All they need to do is keep the price same and adjust the tax rates such that oil companies gain 5-6rs in one shot.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:15   #3251
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

I filled Petrol in my bike today & was surprised to see the price of Rs. 81.82 per liter of Petrol in Mumbai.

In my opinion the current Petrol price is really pinching the middle class. I drive a hatchback & the mileage I get in city driving conditions is approx 12 kmpl, which translates to almost Rs. 7 per kilo meter. It seems more & more people will switch to two wheelers just to save daily commute cost.

Also with revision of gas prices policy, there is a huge hike expected in CNG prices next year in April.

Thanks,
Old 10th September 2013, 12:20   #3252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I totally agree with you but the politics are part of this thread because since long we are observing politics with respect to fuel pricing and also on the strategy such as exploration, and imports.

I was reading an ownership review of E20 few mins back. Why are we not seeing many of these cars on our roads ? Govt knows that we are dependent on Oil yet the electric cars do not get the subsidy they deserve.

Coming to oil prices, Govt is collecting tax on diesel and returning it back to oil companies shedding crocodile tears. All they need to do is keep the price same and adjust the tax rates such that oil companies gain 5-6rs in one shot.
I could not agree with you more. Issues and government policies regarding the fuel and renewable energy along with subsidies to electric vehicles should be discussed. But if go into political blame game, this thread might just spiral into something different, which can be avoided. That was my point.

I am a big fan of electric vehicles, and hopefully our government follows the footsteps of developed/mature markets and offers subsidies. this segment deserves a shot in the arm to actually take off.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:26   #3253
BHPian

I think it is best to look for alternate lifestyle choices for people who own only a petrol car. I love long drives specially the ones that last beyond a day but I guess with such steep prices I cannot afford one.

I have started monitoring my monthly usage and have reduced my usage by atleast 300 kms over the previous month.

Apart from that those who suggest we let go of one dinner to compensate the hit, I've already done that

With the monsoon session ending there was supposed to be a hike? Didn't happen? When is it scheduled?
Old 10th September 2013, 14:12   #3254
BHPian

with the rising fuel costs, i really think, we all need to look at other options, either with changes in lifestyle (walking for short distance errands, etc) and also towards our choice of options when it comes to buying cars.

I would like to point out to a amazing first car buying experience for E20 by kamyfc. Government wont push new tech unless we, the consumers, demand for better subsidies and products.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...igm-shift.html
Old 10th September 2013, 14:32   #3255
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Please keep politics out of this thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...e-posting.html
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks