Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2014, 23:10   #4366
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
I read in news today that Oil prices and tobacco prices will come under GST and almost agreement has been reached between Center and States.

Will this mean that uniform tax will be levied on petrol/diesel throughout the country? No extra taxes will be levied by the states?
No. It means that the central govt will fix the centre's share and the state govt will add whatever it wants to that to get its share. Fuel and tobacco are cash cows for both the centre and the state. States are not willing to let go of it just yet.

Last edited by longhorn : 12th December 2014 at 23:12.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 00:13   #4367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
I think the comparison of retail petrol price vs crude prices in India in previous years, while interesting, isn't relevant as the retail fuel was subsidized back then.

May I ask, what would have been the petrol price in 2009 if they weren't subsidized then.
Old 13th December 2014, 09:35   #4368
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
May I ask, what would have been the petrol price in 2009 if they weren't subsidized then.
Remember the exchange rate was far more favourable then. Also, I feel the tax structure may also have changed.
Old 13th December 2014, 09:49   #4369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Remember the exchange rate was far more favourable then. Also, I feel the tax structure may also have changed.
While I do think it would be interesting to do this calculation it might be a exercise in futility as too many things have changed between 2009 and now regarding the govt's subsidy %, exchange rates, global oil prices, tax structure?, inflation? et al.

Main thing of concern is whether the current govt keeps on increasing the excise and 'cushioning' the public from the steep fuel price drop further. Sorry for the
Old 13th December 2014, 18:26   #4370
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Main thing of concern is whether the current govt keeps on increasing the excise and 'cushioning' the public from the steep fuel price drop further. Sorry for the
The FM said so, mny states were hiking up the VAT and taking most of the price drop away from us. This apparently encouraged the excise hike!
Old 14th December 2014, 08:55   #4371
BHPian

In the last few days many of the News agencies have started reporting that Govt has not cut the fuel prices as per the International Market. Will like to see if they announce any reduction today. The media has even reported that De-regulation is only on paper and is a lip service. I hope Govt takes the cues and start behaving in the right manner.
Old 14th December 2014, 10:28   #4372
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
In the last few days many of the News agencies have started reporting that Govt has not cut the fuel prices as per the International Market.
the price adjustment is done every fortnight so the 15th is the due date. Today being Sunday it may be delayed a day or so.
Old 14th December 2014, 10:43   #4373
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the massive Rs. 1 cut is eagerly awaited.
lurker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 15:15   #4374
BHPian

Consider the last 3 months (12-Sept-2014 to 12-Dec-2014)

Petrol is deregulated over this entire period. So no conflicts there.

BRENT crude prices have fallen from 97.96$ to 61.85$
USD to INR has inched up from 60.655 to 62.525
Petrol Prices in Bangalore has gone down from 75.13Rs to 69.45Rs.

If things were "TRULY" deregulated, we would be paying 48.898 Rs for a liter of petrol. Acche din, really?

Sources
http://www.investing.com/commodities...istorical-data
http://www.investing.com/currencies/...istorical-data
http://www.mypetrolprice.com/6/Petro...e-in-Bengaluru
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 15:46   #4375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
If things were "TRULY" deregulated, we would be paying 48.898 Rs for a liter of petrol. Acche din, really?
Acche din, particularly for this overpopulous country is a comfortable/dependable public transportation system. Not the surge of private vehicles running on imported fuel.
ramzsys is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 16:56   #4376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Acche din, particularly for this overpopulous country is a comfortable/dependable public transportation system. Not the surge of private vehicles running on imported fuel.
Absolutely, but then if fuel prices would have been 15Rs lower than what they are currently (and what it should ideally be, if not lower) then it would mean

1. Cheaper transportation (public transportation included)
2. Lower inflation
3. Lower interest rates (resulting from 2)
4. Higher growth (resulting from 3)

Easier said than done surely, but in the current scenario of falling crude prices, not passing on the benefit to the end user is criminal. I do not expect the petrol price to fall 21 Rs, but if govt can lap up Rs 5-10 and reduce by 10-15 Rs, isnt that what one would expect specially in a "deregulated" environment.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 09:43   #4377
BANNED

All is fine, but also take into account the refining and fixed costs, and the estimated drop will not be that steep. I will suggest make the whole country BSIV and up the Diesel BSIV to EuroIV. Force them to invest some money in Refinery upgradation.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 17:21   #4378
BHPian

No news on price cut yet, looks like this time also there is not going to be any major changes. At the same time crude has touched the lowest level since June 2009. Opec in another statement states they are not worried even if crude touches 40$. I'm eagerly waiting to see what is the cut which happens today.
Old 15th December 2014, 17:27   #4379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
No news on price cut yet, looks like this time also there is not going to be any major changes. At the same time crude has touched the lowest level since June 2009. Opec in another statement states they are not worried even if crude touches 40$. I'm eagerly waiting to see what is the cut which happens today.
Govt will silently hike the taxes. If not central, it will be the state govt for sure.
Other worrying part is rupee is at all time low !!
High oil imports were always pulling our economy down, irrespective of the oil prices now, that has not changed !! infact our exports will take a hit due to low global demand which only means that Rupee will fall further ??
Old 15th December 2014, 19:46   #4380
BANNED

PTI reports a Rs.2/- per litre cut in both Petrol and Diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks