Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2015, 16:55   #5146
BANNED

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

The IITK report on pollution envisages switching the entire NCR at least to Euro-VI in 2019. If need be let the PSUs buy (from PIL) or import the fuels. Even today they are unable to meet the BS-Iv demands and are buying from RIL (Euro-V) and cutting with their own BS-III juice to reduce to BS-IV. Even out BS-IV has 'relaxed' sulfur norms as compared to Euro-IV. I was chatting with one the the main persons, and he agreed with me that the courts / govt should specify the Standard and not the Technology.
Old 31st December 2015, 18:06   #5147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@sgiitk; IIRC the US opened up exports to NAFTA two years ago and earlier this year opened it to the entire World, also US spews out some of the sweetest crude, not just sweet it is also 'light' making life easy for the refiners
Venezuela has light sweet crude afaik and not US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Even today they are unable to meet the BS-Iv demands and are buying from RIL (Euro-V) and cutting with their own BS-III juice to reduce to BS-IV. Even out BS-IV has 'relaxed' sulfur norms as compared to Euro-IV. I was chatting with one the the main persons, and he agreed with me that the courts / govt should specify the Standard and not the Technology.
We exist for benefit of Reliance. Otherwise what is the point of our existance. Our bureaucrats go cheap, IOL and rest of the gang. Just ask Mukesh what are the going rates.

Last edited by lurker : 31st December 2015 at 18:08.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 19:40   #5148
Senior - BHPian

Venezuels leads the Heavy n Sour brigade from right upfront.

Different grades out of the US but the predominant one West Texas Intermediate is one of the Sweetest and Lightest

CRUDE Light on the Top, Heavy on the Bottom: A Crude Oil Refinery Primer - Canary, LLC.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Venezuela has light sweet crude afaik and not US.
Old 31st December 2015, 19:50   #5149
BHPian

Quote:
@ramanak; afaik the US has broached the idea, but not yet opened up exports.
It is no longer case of broached, which happened in august time-frame. It is now agreed. It is already exporting to Canada in name of exemption.

For more: http://www.wsj.com/articles/congress...rts-1450242995
Old 31st December 2015, 20:16   #5150
BHPian

Fuel prices revised again. Diesel down by Rs. 1.06 and Petrol by 0.63.

Wonder when the central/state governments revise the Excise/sales tax.

Also wonder why is the government still regulating the prices.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 10:04   #5151
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Fuel prices revised again. Diesel down by Rs. 1.06 and Petrol by 0.63.

Wonder when the central/state governments revise the Excise/sales tax.

Also wonder why is the government still regulating the prices.
Not at all surprised since Brent and Nymex have been coming down, and the rupee is appreciating somewhat.

I will like to see Kerosene prices brought more or less on par with Diesel. Only this morning I was talking to a senior consultant (Medical) in a mofussil town, and he said that one can take it that Diesel at the pumps has at least 25% kerosene. So that is the crunch, if need be they can pay back the poor folk through Direct Fund Transfer.

With the recommendation to go straight to Euro-VI (hopefully, no dilution for BS) in 2020 refineries will be forced to invest in new technology. Hence the oil PSUs will have to invest, quite heavily, and may try and buffer future cuts. At the moment they are unable to produce even BS-IV (let alone Euro-IV) in sufficient quantities to feed the 13 odd BS-IV cities. We do have at least one refinery in India capable of producing Euro-VI fuels.

afaik the state does not try and manage the fuel prices for Diesel and Petrol and ATF (essentially superior Kerosene).
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 12:36   #5152
BHPian

Quote:
Not at all surprised since Brent and Nymex have been coming down, and the rupee is appreciating somewhat.

I will like to see Kerosene prices brought more or less on par with Diesel. Only this morning I was talking to a senior consultant (Medical) in a mofussil town, and he said that one can take it that Diesel at the pumps has at least 25% kerosene. So that is the crunch, if need be they can pay back the poor folk through Direct Fund Transfer.

With the recommendation to go straight to Euro-VI (hopefully, no dilution for BS) in 2020 refineries will be forced to invest in new technology. Hence the oil PSUs will have to invest, quite heavily, and may try and buffer future cuts. At the moment they are unable to produce even BS-IV (let alone Euro-IV) in sufficient quantities to feed the 13 odd BS-IV cities. We do have at least one refinery in India capable of producing Euro-VI fuels.

afaik the state does not try and manage the fuel prices for Diesel and Petrol and ATF (essentially superior Kerosene).
I am surprised at the so called 'deregulation' when in fact the pricing IS still being CONTROLLED by the Government.

Kerosene is one sour thing that no government is willing to take up and resolve.

I think we Indians are okay with the knee jerk reactions and controls, latest example is the actions being taken to control pollution in NCR, by odd-even formula. For once it will bring down, though marginally, the levels of pollution. The politicians will drum their chests crying "I did it", but it will soon be back to the original levels.

No one is willing to go to the root cause and resolve the problem.

Same is the scenario with the fuel pricing. The politicians, more than the government, are the problem. They are unwilling to resolve the issues, since they will lose their ISSUES in the next elections. The country and the tax payers suffer ultimately.
Old 1st January 2016, 12:49   #5153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
I am surprised at the so called 'deregulation' when in fact the pricing IS still being CONTROLLED by the Government.

Kerosene is one sour thing that no government is willing to take up and resolve.
I think the prices of Diesel & Petrol are more or less free.
Kerosene is a different issue - controlled. I repeat free the prices and transfer the subsidy to the EWS by Direct Transfer.

Now they have made a start on LPG - no subsidy for those over 10lpa. If you look at it we consume maybe 7 cylinders a year (max), so the subsidy is not even ₹1500 pa at current rates!! Let the word spread and then watch the bleats!!
Old 1st January 2016, 15:44   #5154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he said that one can take it that Diesel at the pumps has at least 25% kerosene.
kerosene is more calorific value than diesel. So it should be 'enrichment' instead of contamination. hain ji ?
Old 1st January 2016, 17:12   #5155
Senior - BHPian

Today, Shell Diesel in Pune is: 51.05/- . Did a tankful and for my last fill up at Shell given me FE of 18.45kmpl (34L for 627KM).
Old 1st January 2016, 17:35   #5156
Senior - BHPian

Crude oil prices dropping, petrol price dropping (though not much), however there is a byproduct whose prices are increasing.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/busine...VoUGG03TP.html

LPG, the prices have increased by 110 in less than a month.

60 bucks hike last month, and on 01 Jan, hike of 50 bucks.

Also, those who have salary more than 10L as per ITR will have to pay this money now.

Government is all set to make huge profit on these prices, thus showing current account deficit and fiscal deficit in good health.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 17:59   #5157
BHPian

Government has again hiked excise on petrol by approx 30 paise and diesel by 2 Rs.
Old 2nd January 2016, 22:37   #5158
Distinguished - BHPian

Really strange that no media house takes up the story of farce fuel pricing mechanism by the Govt. In my opinion, it is one of the biggest mockery of the deregulation drama.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 23:44   #5159
BHPian

I believe the crude has dropped to 35$ a barrel and now the government instead of giving the citizen petroleum products for a much cheaper rate is increasing tax slabs and maintaining more or less the same rate! Price has dropped in dollars and we get 1 rupee off the price. Avaiation fuel also at the same time has taken a big fall and now the airlines are making hay when sun shines!
Old 2nd January 2016, 23:55   #5160
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
we get 1 rupee off the price.
When did we get even 1 rupee off the price? Jog my memory.

Most Viewed