Old 5th October 2018, 21:19   #6541
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The tragedy of the commons
Pray tell me if you really think that the fuel price rise was intended to
Quote:
induce a cultural change like increased car pooling, viability of mass transport systems...
If you do (and the Government consciously did), it gives credence to the oft repeated accusation that the wheels of economic progress are being driven by a pair of bullocks who do not trust each other, do not know what the other is up to and as a result, try to steer the cart in the direction they alone fancy.

Quote:
When the thinking is 'i better be in the safe space of my air conditioned car than breathe the toxic fumes in a bus/train'
Won't a rise in fuel price increase the cost of mass transportation too?

The crux of the matter lies in the simple realisation that for the common man on the street - me - who also happens to be a sincere taxpayer - income, professional, sales, road etc - the premium I am paying for the promised utopia / utopian promise is unjustifiable.

I do not want to travel in a bus because it is far too crowded, unruly and tiresome. I prefer my car because I have earned it, by the sweat of my brow. I drive it because I can (or could!). I am fond of nature, I love greenery; I do not cut trees, I plant a couple of saplings every year without fail.

I also drive.

And if the Government wants me to not drive, it better make it easier for me to travel by other saner, safer, sensible means. If it wants to threaten me to get off the driver's seat by increasing the fuel price, I pledge on my honour that I will keep taking my car out - even if fossil fuels retail at thousand bucks to a litre.

Last edited by dailydriver : 5th October 2018 at 21:20.
dailydriver is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 22:52   #6542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was feeling better even when taking in the bitter pill of rising fuel costs in the hope that this will induce a cultural change like increased car pooling, viability of mass transport systems and what not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Pray tell me if you really think that the fuel price rise was intended to " induce a cultural change like increased car pooling, viability of mass transport systems and what not. "
I'm pretty sure what ramzsys meant wasn't to imply that the fuel price increase was meant to drive the change, but that such a change might arise out of this event, a side benefit.

I sympathize with his viewpoint, because long term, we're going to either see our lifespans shortened by virtue of our city dwelling, or we're going to have to change.

Setting aside that long-term view, I am fully cognizant of your concerns:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
And if the Government wants me to not drive, it better make it easier for me to travel by other saner, safer, sensible means.
And I sympathize because it often feels that all the hikes inflicted on us today are for a promise of building better mass rapid transit systems for tomorrow, but with no relief offered in the interim.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 23:05   #6543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingme View Post
Highest prices are not because of Oil companies...but because of heavy taxes and levis Govt put on it...Oil is only cash cow Indian Govt has...

PS: price in europe are around 1.2 euros/lit for petrol that comes out to be around 60 rupees a lit so we are still cheaper I think
Oil is not the only cash cow that the Central Government has. It is a major one for sure but the Central Government has a mixed bag of sources of income. It is a very critical source for most State Governments though, apart from taxes on alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I meant:

Rs.45/litre is a larger chunk of your monthly income as compared to 1.2Euro's of the average income of countries in the EU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Agree whole heartedly!!! I think the price/income ratio is India 4-5 times higher than that of EU countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingme View Post
but market forces driving prices does not consider our incomes... Europian country also needs to buy a barell for $57 as India...just remember our current prices are still subsidized...imagine when all subsidy will vanish

Fuel in India is the most expensive since many years according to a global study conducted by Bloomberg every year. Expensive w.r.t. to the per capita income. In literal terms, I believe it is the most expensive in Switzerland but their per capita income is very high - keeps moving between top 3 spots.

The said index is called 'Pain-at-Pump' by Bloomberg.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/gas-prices/

Last edited by sunilch : 5th October 2018 at 23:09.
Old 6th October 2018, 01:17   #6544
BHPian

Quote:
The tragedy of the commons, well illustrated.

All this time I was feeling better even when taking in the bitter pill of rising fuel costs in the hope that this will induce a cultural change like increased car pooling, viability of mass transport systems and what not. For those who think this isn't relevant, kindly see the air quality index map of our country. When the thinking is 'i better be in the safe space of my air conditioned car than breathe the toxic fumes in a bus/train', there's more real challenge to our sustenance than fuel costs .
Well in my case higher fuel prices are keeping me away from public transport!! Let me tell you how - it costs me 1/3rd less to pick up my kid in my petrol car than sending her in school bus, ditto with my company transportation. For me to use bus service i have walk 2 km to the nearest bus stop and therefore not practical in my case even if I discount the condition of public transportation {but this one will be cheaper to use though) .
y448 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 10:00   #6545
Senior - BHPian

Filled Regular Diesel for my Creta at an Indian Oil COCO in Bangalore. The fuel tank was near about empty, so filled close to 54.5 litres of Diesel at Rs.73.40 or something around that. Total bill was Rs.4060!

When I look back to my first car in 2008, a Dzire diesel which could hold about 40 litres of fuel, I used to fill up the tank with around Rs.1700! And 10 years later, for a slightly higher quantity, shelling out more than double the rates!
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 13:16   #6546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Plus the given reduction of INR 2.50/- will decompensated in 20 days with an average rise of INR 0.10-0.15 per day.
You called it, the prices are inching up again: Diesel prices went up by almost 30 paise and petrol prices increased by nearly 20 paise. However, in Mumbai, the diesel have gone up by 7 paise only.
Old 7th October 2018, 17:48   #6547
BANNED

Petrol Price Hiked by 14 Paise in Delhi and Mumbai, Diesel Dearer by 31 Paise

The one rupee should be covered in a few more days.

This is why that part of the reduction was meaningless. The whole 2.5 Rs reduction should have come from the Taxes.

Last edited by carboy : 7th October 2018 at 17:50.
Old 7th October 2018, 18:58   #6548
BANNED

@carboy; the cut was INR5.00 in all. AK49 decided that he will hold back the 2.50.

I hear that the fuel prices will be cut a few times before the polls. Human memory is short.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 19:00   #6549
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@carboy; the cut was INR5.00 in all. AK49 decided that he will hold back the 2.50.

I hear that the fuel prices will be cut a few times before the polls. Human memory is short.

The biggest question is what part of that will come from excise duty & what part of it will come from the OMCs taking a loss.

Taxes have been raised by around 19-20 Rs in the last 4.5 years!
Old 7th October 2018, 19:04   #6550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

When I look back to my first car in 2008, a Dzire diesel which could hold about 40 litres of fuel, I used to fill up the tank with around Rs.1700! And 10 years later, for a slightly higher quantity, shelling out more than double the rates!
Just to add - crude prices were higher than what they are now I clearly remember the petrol prices back then as I moved from Pune to Jamshedpur; around 44 Rs! Of course, we were cribbing about the increasing prices then too (due to recession, etc); but back then I was just happy at the temporary gain of a few Rs due to the inter-state movement

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th October 2018 at 19:08.
Old 8th October 2018, 07:36   #6551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Just to add - crude prices were higher than what they are now I clearly remember the petrol prices back then as I moved from Pune to Jamshedpur; around 44 Rs! Of course, we were cribbing about the increasing prices then too (due to recession, etc); but back then I was just happy at the temporary gain of a few Rs due to the inter-state movement
True, though keep in mind that the INR has also become weaker by 85% from 2008 (1 USD = INR 40) to 2018 (1 USD = INR 74) per https://usd.exchangeconversions.com/...t_20years_rate

Escalate Rs 44/litre fuel price by 85% and you get Rs 81/litre. Add the increased taxes, and you get the figure where we are now. So that kind of explains it.

Of course, the INR weakening is unquestionably our govt's fault it seems to me (and ours too, for yearning to buy those fancy iPhones and imported cars, which directly hurt the INR), though I'm hardly an economist.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 08:24   #6552
Senior - BHPian

This bs has gone on for too long now. Team bhp can do its part by opening review section on electric cars available in India including

Mahindra e2oPlus
Mahindra e-Verito
Tata Tigor Electric
Mahindra e-KUV 100
Tata Tiago Electric

Let us not be petrolheads anymore but shaft our govt by not giving our hard earned and income taxed rupee on taxes on fuel. LET US GO ELECTRIC. I have done more than my share for 'construction of toilets', 'progress of nation', 'balancing of budget', 'supporting IMF policies', 'nation building'. Enough. Now it is time to help myself instead of helping the nation.

Hope Team BHP can open seperate review section solely for electric vehicles available in the country.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 09:20   #6553
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
True, though keep in mind that the INR has also become weaker by 85% from 2008 (1 USD = INR 40) to 2018 (1 USD = INR 74) per https://usd.exchangeconversions.com/...t_20years_rate

Escalate Rs 44/litre fuel price by 85% and you get Rs 81/litre. Add the increased taxes, and you get the figure where we are now. So that kind of explains it.
Back in 2013, Oil Barrel was selling at 112$ a barrel. 1$ was 63.4Rs. So that's Rs. 7100 per barrel. Price at the pump was Rs. 83 per litre

Today, Oil Barrel is 76$ per barrel. 1$ is Rs. 73. So that's Rs 5550 per barrel. Compare price of petrol at the pump.

So how much ever one thinks about Dollar Rupee Exchange rates or price of crude oil, the biggest contributor to the current petrol prices are the taxes raised by Govt in the last 4.5 years.
carboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 09:32   #6554
BHPian

After the latest rounds of increases and decreases, thought will put the the latest petrol prices across cities. Data is from mypetrolprice.com for 7th October 2018:
--------------------------------

Ahmedabad: Rs 78.85
Lucknow: Rs 79.31
New Delhi: Rs 81.88
Bangalore: Rs 82.52
Kolkata: Rs 83.71
Chennai: Rs 85.09
Thiruvananthapuram: Rs 85.22
Hyderabad: Rs 86.79
Pune: Rs 87.13
Mumbai: Rs 87.34
--------------------------------
carZest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 09:39   #6555
BANNED

Fuel prices soar across the country; govt's excise duty cut wiped out

Petrol at Rs 82.83 Per Litre in Delhi, Rs 88.29 in Mumbai

Last edited by carboy : 16th October 2018 at 09:40.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks