Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2018, 18:11   #6601
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I say, fuel should be priced on the Calorific value, on which Diesel should be somewhat costlier that Petrol.
It's already reached at that point, atleast in many states, and will soon be all over India.

Quote:
I may come to pass since 2.5 SPM is the new kid on the block and Diesel is far worse on this account.
Maybe you should back your statements with some studies, some data, that would be beneficial for others.
Old 17th November 2018, 18:20   #6602
BANNED

@tbhppjpr; This may be the logic in the UK and Germany (I guess). In both places Diesel is marginally costlier than Petrol. Diesel has the advantage of being more economical in terms of consumption, and now i hear the vehicle maintenance costs are about the same. This the reason why unless you drive in excess of 50,000km a year Diesel is not the preferred option in the UK.
Old 17th November 2018, 19:47   #6603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
The question is- WHAT IS GOING ON?
what is going on is that the govt is making a huge play on the margins.Considering retail oil price dips only in 5,10,20 paise and increases in 50,75,45 paise. And also there is an invisible cut-off point of 71 below which prices do not drop.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 08:02   #6604
BHPian

I think Petrol has higher tax compared to Diesel in most of the state if not at par. In this scenario even if Diesel production cost is higher then ideally Diesel should be at par or less than Petrol price. Not able to understand how it's higher in few states.
Old 19th November 2018, 15:21   #6605
BHPian

"Petrol is now back to where it was in the beginning of August while diesel is hovering around levels seen in the first week of September"

(source)
Old 19th November 2018, 17:51   #6606
BHPian

Related:

Yellow vests: Hundreds injured as France fuel protests continue - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46254566
Old 19th November 2018, 18:13   #6607
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Related:

Yellow vests: Hundreds injured as France fuel protests continue - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46254566
I was there all of last week. A number of our associates warned us about this strike as we were leaving on Saturday around lunch time to get back to India.
Luckily and wonderfully, we had a first class visit there through the week and came unmolested to the airport around noon on Saturday, caught our plane and headed out.
No worries then!

But the common people thereabouts are highly displeased with the Macron Administration. And they will, in typical French Fashion, continue to show their displeasure.

In India, sadly, we dont seem to be able to do anything at all, even in a City like Bangalore, however much we may dislike our government and the apathy and corruption in the overall administration. Our so called “educated class” votes and voice, count for next to nothing. And if one makes as noise, these creepy Politicos will find ways of making your daily life completely miserable.
And most saddening is that none of us really have the time, because all of us in some sense are on that great “salary” treadmill!
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 21:22   #6608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
none of us really have the time, because all of us in some sense are on that great “salary” treadmill!
While I totally agree to that, the other feature operating deep within us Indians is that we accept pain as part of life (karmic balance) and try adjusting with and to it! We have accepted as a law of the universe and life that without consuming some poison we could never find the nectar.

A typical westerner, on the other hand, has very low tolerance for discomfort and displeasure. They will revolt in a trice where we are still evaluating the effects and learning what else to tweak in the parameter space so the stress is mitigated or better distributed.

A typical Indian family will cut back on the annual vacation, the weekend drive, a dinner outing, a movie show, the domestic help, driver and security services, etc to compensate for the pain coming in from some of these other sources (like fuel prices).

Hence, not much protest from India although we do see the odd scuffle here and there.

PS: I totally understand I am generalizing a lot and the brush used for this painting is way too broad. I fully acknowledge the limitations in the views presented above.
Miyata is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 15:58   #6609
BANNED

I just saw that fuel prices have not gone up for 25 days. Our Press makes a hullabaloo ehen the price goes up for a day, but total silence. Must be the Lutyen's effect.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 16:39   #6610
Senior - BHPian

That's probably because even after 25 days of continuous decline, petrol is still around Rs 80 at most places. Increments have always been much much quicker. 35 paise at the bare minimum, 2 - 2.50 Rs are increased in 7 days during hikes. This eagnerness is never seen when crude declines - which is why we are way off the mark when we compare crude oil decline percentages with fuel price decline percentage. There is hardly any reason to make a hullabaloo. In fact, the powers that be ought to come out with a solid reason as to why the decline is not in keeping with the crude oil rates.
longhorn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 17:13   #6611
Senior - BHPian

Global supply has gone past 100 millions barrel per day, a global record. US is pumping up oil like no tomorrow, while reducing oil consumption itself. Too much oil, not enough demand.

Last edited by avishar : 20th November 2018 at 17:14.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 17:15   #6612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just saw that fuel prices have not gone up for 25 days. Our Press makes a hullabaloo ehen the price goes up for a day, but total silence. Must be the Lutyen's effect.
Actually, the press hardly made any noise when fuel prices were going up for the fear of not pissing off our dear leader, they are not reacting now too because the price fall is nothing to write about, when crude fell by 23%, the pump prices fell only by 9-10%, crude is right now at 66$ from a high of 86$ a barrel, why am I still paying 82 rupees for petrol and 75 rupees for diesel?

The silence is the sold out media affect.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 17:45   #6613
BHPian

Quote:
@tbhppjpr; This may be the logic in the UK and Germany (I guess). In both places Diesel is marginally costlier than Petrol. Diesel has the advantage of being more economical in terms of consumption, and now i hear the vehicle maintenance costs are about the same. This the reason why unless you drive in excess of 50,000km a year Diesel is not the preferred option in the UK.
Holy crow. I didn't even talk about economy or FE point of view, neither I was interested about whats happening in the foreign land.

If I would be interested in the developments of abroad then I would rather like to talk about the awareness of the French public who are standing united against the Macron govt who has been ridiculously increasing taxes on the fuel in the name of carbon, similar like the Indian govt's green cess which is not used in the welfare of the environment.

I was just asking about to post some facts and data to back your one liner statement about diesel being the worst on the PM2.5 front, especially in the context of India, not in foreign.

If you could please provide some facts or study data on sensitive topic of pollution/PM2.5 then that will be beneficial for the community.
Old 21st November 2018, 08:12   #6614
Senior - BHPian

where they should be decreasing in rupees and 50p, decrease is only by 5p-10p, this kind of decrease is nore fraudulent than the illegal increase.

And since this is month of november, India is now receiving Iranian oil, paid in rupees, that means price paid by govt for a litre of processed crude must be at it's lowest yet still we are paying an obscene ₹ 70+ for both diesel abd petrol.
lurker is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 10:55   #6615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
where they should be decreasing in rupees and 50p, decrease is only by 5p-10p, this kind of decrease is nore fraudulent than the illegal increase.

And since this is month of november, India is now receiving Iranian oil, paid in rupees, that means price paid by govt for a litre of processed crude must be at it's lowest yet still we are paying an obscene ₹ 70+ for both diesel abd petrol.
I am surprised that the transport union, cab wala's, bus companies and anything and everything that runs on fuel are not staging a mass protest everywhere or are they sold off too?

This was never the case with this place ever, now I can't seem to even feel this is my country anymore.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks