Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Nepal- ₹67
Bhutan- ₹49.6
Sri Lanka- ₹64

All the above countries are small compared to India
How can you compare banana republics with our country? We are a world leader in science, economics and 'entire general knowledge'. Obviously our fuel prices will be more.

And realistically speaking, how many politicians and civil servants are going to be in Bhutan? How many parliaments? We have probably 50 crore of these to be supported. How else but by fuel and income tax.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 15:21   #6917
BHPian

We need affordable energy to boost the manufacturing and development to make the 'Atmanirbhar Bharat' mission (or just yet another hyperbole?) succeed.

Electricity and fuel are two primary sources of energy and both are way too expensive commodities in India.

Fuel cost breakup:-

Name:  Screenshot_20200926_145604.png
Views: 2178
Size:  13.9 KB
source

Last edited by tbppjpr : 26th September 2020 at 15:23.
tbppjpr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 18:00   #6918
Senior - BHPian

Inexpensive energy is key pillar of growth, with such sky high fuel and energy (elect, industrial power tariff, High tension tariff) this entire 'make in India' is still born. We also have to consider corruption, social disruption expenses, natural calamities to cost of manufacturing in India and the costs get unviable for profitable investments.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th September 2020 at 18:51. Reason: piller > pillar
lurker is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 16:59   #6919
Senior - BHPian

The Centre is reportedly planning to raise excise duty on petrol and diesel soon. According to reports the forthcoming hike could go up by as much as Rs 6 per litre.

Quote:
In March, the government had taken Parliamentary approval to raise special additional excise duty on petrol to Rs 18 per litre and on diesel to Rs 12 per litre but did not change the levy then. In May, it raised special additional excise to Rs 12 on petrol and to Rs 9 on diesel. This leaves the government with the space to increase excise duty on petrol by a further Rs 6 per litre and on diesels by Rs 3 per litre.
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...706243913.html
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 14:05   #6920
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol price races towards Rs 90 a litre in Mumbai.

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-0_0_0_0_70_https___www_autocarpro_in_portals_0_userfiles_17_final-fuel.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 10:09   #6921
Senior - BHPian

Petrol price has breached the 90 Rs barrier now in Mumbai. Government is milking vehicle owners on the pre-text of the Corona pandemic. Give them any excuse and fuel is the first one to bear the brunt of the money spinning schemes for the government. Is there any election around the corner? I might need to time my full tank which anyways due to the pandemic is still half full since Mar this year. Don't think I will be filling up fuel this year so the price hike is not really going to affect me.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:30   #6922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Petrol price has breached the 90 Rs barrier now in Mumbai. Government is milking vehicle owners on the pre-text of the Corona pandemic.
I don't think the government is milking owners on the pre-text of corona anymore. These fuel prices are probably going to be the new normal.

Going ahead fuel prices will probably going to keep increasing since governments will be looking to decrease consumption and also use fuel taxes to fund electric vehicle subsidies. Although for India this stage is still couple of years away.
Old 7th December 2020, 11:58   #6923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I don't think the government is milking owners on the pre-text of corona anymore. These fuel prices are probably going to be the new normal.

Going ahead fuel prices will probably going to keep increasing since governments will be looking to decrease consumption and also use fuel taxes to fund electric vehicle subsidies. Although for India this stage is still couple of years away.
The price of Brent crude is still below $50 and the amount of taxation on petroleum has only increased. The thing is, authorities don’t care anymore since we are all used to paying the high prices. The amount of tax paid for per litre of fuel is astonishing and yes, pandemic or not, the users of fuel are indeed the soft targets.

Raising prices of fuel with the plan of decreasing consumption will never work in India unless the EV infra is in place. So, I would like to believe that the authorities are happy raising the prices of fuel since they already know that !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:56   #6924
anb
BHPian

I am very much surprised by the silence in this thread inspite of the continuous fuel price hike. We already pay the highest fuel taxes in the world. Looks like people has to opt for alternate/greener ways of transportation soon.https://www.carandbike.com/news/petr...r-high-2335161
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-12932145086f459c9d7ce4e6a24a38e2.png  

Last edited by anb : 7th December 2020 at 13:11.
anb is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 09:17   #6925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I am very much surprised by the silence in this thread
What silence? There is commotion here anyway. Venting our ire here is not going to make the government take us seriously anyway
spr1ngleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 09:22   #6926
BHPian

Looks like this is one way the government is pushing for an all electric future. Make the ICE very expensive (through petrol prices) and suddenly electric cars will look very lucarative even with a high initial cost.
raghukodali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:07   #6927
Distinguished - BHPian

I love the optimism on this thread shown by some who believe this is a way the government is trying to boost the electric car market in our country. At least this way you can be happy and contended paying the high prices. It is not like the ones who are venting out can expect it to bring about any change. So since pay you must, better do it with a smile.
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:42   #6928
BHPian

If even 20% of luxury car owners in India paid their fair share of taxes, we wouldn't have the problem of the government trying to recover revenue through indirect taxes.

Forget businessmen, there is no way we only have 2,200 doctors, lawyers and CAs making over 1 crore per year in India (as per last year's tax filings). Heck, I can show you atleast 5,000 doctors in Mumbai that make more than 1 crore per year. If you don't believe me, befriend any real estate developer and ask how much of his informal debt comes from doctors at 2% p.m. interest.

We are a lower-middle income country with relatively low treasury reserves / natural resources / gold etc. We can't print money out of thin air - we tried that between 2004 and 2010. Guess what we got? Massive currency depreciation, which made everything more expensive.

Then we have the bureaucratic machinery and massive corruption, particularly at state / local level. For your reference, we are already at 120% of fiscal deficit target only in 6 months of the financial year owing to COVID revenue losses, stimulus and refusal of state governments to raise debt on their books.

Therefore, the government is forced to tax stuff that they can recover easily -- and unfortunately the salaried class has to bear the brunt of double taxation, while our family doctors / lawyers / chacha with a factory in Bhiwandi happily skirt paying income tax and even electricity charges in some cases.

Last edited by andafunda : 8th December 2020 at 10:47.
andafunda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:49   #6929
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
If even 20% of luxury car owners in India paid their fair share of taxes, we wouldn't have the problem of the government trying to recover revenue
Luxury car owners contribute most to govt. I bought a 320d in 2014 and paid Rs.7.5 lakhs as road tax alone to the government. If I include GST and other taxes for 320d, probably I have paid more than 20 lakhs as tax for a 50 lakh vehicle.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:50   #6930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Luxury car owners contribute most to govt. I bought a 320d in 2014 and paid Rs.7.5 lakhs as road tax alone to the government. If I include GST and other taxes for 320d, probably I have paid more than 20 lakhs as tax for a 50 lakh vehicle.
I am not talking about road tax. I am talking about income tax. Please read the rest of my post.
andafunda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks