Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2021, 13:29   #7156
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

I think the time has come to buy bicycle for nearby use, good for health as well as pocket too. There's no point in ranting here about the increasing fuel costs as nothing will happen. Time to hit the bicycle thread
yesyeswe is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 15:31   #7157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
There's no point in ranting here about the increasing fuel costs as nothing will happen. Time to hit the bicycle thread
True. Don't think people realise the cascading effect of these successive increases yet. It'll hit hard when restrictions are eased a bit. Lucky are those who have WFH option for a foreseeable future.

Wish this government get some sense and rollback the duties where they were before our "Ache Din" started.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 15:58   #7158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I think the time has come to buy bicycle for nearby use, good for health as well as pocket too. There's no point in ranting here about the increasing fuel costs as nothing will happen. Time to hit the bicycle thread
I am personally hoping for a well priced electric scooter from Ola (too lazy for a bicycle). I think I am about ready to sell off my RTR and move onto something that the Government won't be able to tax at a higher rate.
Old 17th May 2021, 16:15   #7159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
move onto something that the Government won't be able to tax at a higher rate.
Oh no! no! no! Fantasy of every petrolhead including me. But alas, they won't. They'd leave no stone unturned when revenue from oil starts drying. When they can charge GST on emergency equipment like oxygen concentrators what makes you think they won't tax higher rate on EVs?

Then how do you think will the government have the audacity to afford a new PM bungalow?
batish is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 16:47   #7160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Oh no! no! no! Fantasy of every petrolhead including me. But alas, they won't. They'd leave no stone unturned when revenue from oil starts drying. When they can charge GST on emergency equipment like oxygen concentrators what makes you think they won't tax higher rate on EVs?

Then how do you think will the government have the audacity to afford a new PM bungalow?

To add to that, all folks thanking their stars for option to WFH that is shielding them to some extent from fuel price hike... Who knows you might see a WFH tax/surcharge in next budget added to your Income tax.

Govt will milk whatever it can to make its paneer or Vista...
rjainv is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 17:11   #7161
MCR
BHPian

Its unbelievable that the tax component is almost equal to the cost of the fuel. Never have seen such an absurdity till now.

OT : Its sad that the"lackeys (Pun intended)" running the nation think its their birth right to charge a premium tax on everything. Its sad that they don't tax themselves and give us a break.
Its also sad that the successive governments in India have tried to play "Robin Hood" and have not really contributed in the country's growth. I would say we were lucky to have the era of early 90s and an era which opened up India.

Last edited by MCR : 17th May 2021 at 17:13.
MCR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 17:22   #7162
BHPian

Indians will need to get used to paying in triple digits for fuel. I do not foresee any rollback or reduction in prices now. Fuel prices have been increasing at ~7% over the past decade. My prediction is that the prices will climb at 10%+ over till 2024/25 before falling back to the long term average of 7%.
kushagra452 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 20:11   #7163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

58.6 percent of the petrol price and 52.85 percent of the cost of diesel in Delhi is tax
Surprisingly, alcohol which is a sin good isn't taxed this much in any state. This year has taught, government has no uprightness in taxation policies. Whatever and however they can milk, they leave no stone unturned. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Indians will need to get used to paying in triple digits for fuel. I do not foresee any rollback or reduction in prices now. Fuel prices have been increasing at ~7% over the past decade. My prediction is that the prices will climb at 10%+ over till 2024/25 before falling back to the long term average of 7%.
Used to? I'd say coerced to. These numbers don't look as daunting as the bank statement will. I hope salaries too increase at the same predicted rate otherwise we're all doomed.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 20:13   #7164
AZT
BHPian

UP elections are due in 8 months I understand. And also some other states next year.

Expect massive hike now and then lollypop of reducing prices right before elections.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th May 2021 at 05:44. Reason: Political part deleted
AZT is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 00:53   #7165
BHPian

I don't want to create a controversy though but one thing that intrigues me is that the government forces all kinds of weird rules and taxes on the public overnight and why can't the public ( us including me) raise an RTI as for why we need to pay so much in taxes for fuel because taxes on fuel has a cascading effect on the economy. Cost of living rises despite salaries being stagnant. Transportation cost including bus and train tickets will increase.
For most SME businesses in India it's even tricky. People's budgets can go haywire that too in the midst of a pandemic where most of them don't have a constant income source.

I know the consequences involved if we question the government individually but if a collective community or groups of people across the country voice out, then the government will be in a position to answer. At least a change.org petition can be a spark.

I'm also aware that me ranting might not ease the situation but at least someday if some good soul from the Central or state government reads this, they might understand our plight and do something. On the flip side if they reduce the taxes to a sane amount, there will be more users and patronage which will in turn keep the government's coffers full.

In 3 years Diesel and Petrol prices have increased by ₹25-30 and LPG by ₹250-300. One LPG domestic use cylinder today costs 820+50 extra for the delivery guy. Subsidiy has been stopped as well. Even if they don't give back subsidy money it's ok but there needs to be a sanity while pricing such essential things needed for daily living. What will the lower level folks who get 10-25k salary a month do. That too if they have dependents it's much worse. They can only barely manage to stay afloat and not keep aside money even in case of an emergency.

The free fuel allowance and car what politicians get needs to be cut and they must be told that they need to bear their own fuel costs. Then we'll see a massive overnight dip in the fuel prices.

I feel cost of living abroad vs India is almost on par albeit with a better quality of life in the case of the former.

I might have been critical in my post but this is the bitter truth we're swallowing. Mods please feel free to delete this post of you feel it's inappropriate.

Last edited by jithin23 : 23rd May 2021 at 00:59.
jithin23 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 02:00   #7166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
I know the consequences involved if we question the government individually but if a collective community or groups of people across the country voice out, then the government will be in a position to answer. At least a change.org petition can be a spark.

I'm also
You know farmers tried that and you know what happened. I would like to quote Michael Jackson here All I want to say is that they don't really care about us.

We think democracy is for the people by the people and to the people, but in reality it is for the politicians by the politicians and to the politicians.
yesyeswe is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 09:05   #7167
BHPian

Fuel price and tax breakup as on 10th May, 2021:-

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-fuel03.jpg

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-fuel02.jpg

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-fuel01.jpg
source
tbppjpr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 10:09   #7168
BHPian

I will have to drop my plans of buying a second car. The rate at which the fuel prices are going up, it won't be long before we will have to shell out Rs. 200/L. Cost of living in India has gone up significantly (especially in Indian metros). Unfortunately, the salaries have not kept pace with the inflation. These days, keeping ones job in tact is itself an achievement. Tough times ahead for the Indian masses. While the second wave is waning across much of the country, the graph of economic distress has just started rising. It's going to be a very challenging decade for all of us.
kushagra452 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 12:59   #7169
BHPian

Since last year the price in my city has increased by about 23 Rupees per litre. A single refill has gone up by 1000, which lasts around a week. Considering the monstrous recession and elections ahead, the government should roll back the duties to where it were in February 2020.

COVID has hurt everybody, nobody is in their glory except for a handful of industrialists. Every increase in the price is like rubbing salt into the wound of common *helpless* man.

This too from the same set of idiots, who used to protest with donkeys.

OT, government is collecting road cess from fuel. We're paying road tax and tolls too. So basically we're paying for a single product in three different forms? *sigh*
batish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 11:01   #7170
Senior - BHPian

Petrol now just 6 paise short of Rs 100-a-litre mark in Mumbai, after 14 price hikes in May 2021. Petrol in Mumbai has become costlier by 33% since April 2020, when it cost Rs 75.28.

At Rs 91.87 a litre in Mumbai today, diesel price has increased by 30 paise. The 14 price hikes in the month till now have hiked diesel price by Rs 3.68 a litre.

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-20210527_105759.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks