Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2021, 08:03   #7261
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel17 View Post
[
Do you concur with this?Does this make sense?
(asking,because I am no expert in this)
Because if it does make sense,can the present government really be held responsible?And does this justify the current raging prices of fuel?
Here, read the other side of the story and come to your own conclusion:

https://scroll.in/article/894559/fac...ing-oil-prices

Here is another source posted by our fellow member:

https://vivekkaul.com/2021/06/17/pet...-of-oil-bonds/

Last edited by JithinR : 11th July 2021 at 08:06. Reason: Adding one more.
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 08:28   #7262
anb
BHPian

Crude oil price is falling, but petrol & diesel prices are increasing.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 12:01   #7263
anb
BHPian

Today petrol price is increased and diesel price is reduced. I thought both diesel and petrol are produced from crude oil. On what basis companies are changing prices daily and why no one is there to question these people ?
Old 12th July 2021, 14:51   #7264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Today petrol price is increased and diesel price is reduced. I thought both diesel and petrol are produced from crude oil.
Actually diesel is expensive to produce compared to Petrol. But kept artificially low by government.

Last week I had seen video by a YouTuber discussing fuel price and according to him it is wise to buy diesel car in Long run because of moderation in diesel prices done by government to prevent run away inflation.
I didn't agree initially but grudgingly I accept now he is right.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 12th July 2021 at 14:52.
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 15:06   #7265
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Actually diesel is expensive to produce compared to Petrol. But kept artificially low by government.

Last week I had seen video by a YouTuber discussing fuel price and according to him it is wise to buy diesel car in Long run because of moderation in diesel prices done by government to prevent run away inflation.
I didn't agree initially but grudgingly I accept now he is right.
Diesel & petrol prices are proportional to crude oil price and production cost is constant. So either the prices of petrol & diesel go up or down according to crude oil price. But what is happening in India ? Where is the government to control these oil companies ? Diesel is taxed slightly lower ( VAT :23 % for diesel & 30 percent for petrol in KL).

Last edited by anb : 12th July 2021 at 15:07.
Old 18th July 2021, 08:17   #7266
Senior - BHPian

Petrol price has crossed 103 rupees on the outskirts of Chennai, looks like they won't stop the hike till it hits 120 since there is hardly any resistance.
giri1.8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 10:43   #7267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Petrol price has crossed 103 rupees on the outskirts of Chennai, looks like they won't stop the hike till it hits 120 since there is hardly any resistance.
120? Why do you think that it would stop at 120? sky is the limit man, as buzz light year says in Toy Story, "to infinity and beyond"
yesyeswe is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 11:40   #7268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
120? Why do you think that it would stop at 120? sky is the limit man, as buzz light year says in Toy Story, "to infinity and beyond"
Next psychological barrier would only be at 1000. Media will try to create some noise at 200, and at every 100th mark, but it will not matter much. A domestic gas cylinder is close 1000 now, but with savvy media management the government has made it a non-issue.

I am eagerly looking forward to Rs 1000 per litre petrol, because we would be able to fly to Mars and back in our cars with that type of fuel.
mvadg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 13:10   #7269
BHPian

Yesterday I filled petrol at the rate of 107.8/- in Mumbai!

The Central government (irrespective of whichever political dispensation is in power) should just answer one question: For all the sound bytes claiming "Govt doesn't control oil prices" and "Oil companies have been given autonomy to fix prices", how is it that when elections are around the corner, the Petroleum Ministry unofficially nudges the oil companies to hold-off on price hikes?

Also, state and central governments routinely add various situation-specific cess components (Drought cess, Covid cess, etc) to the fuel prices, which are never withdrawn later!

The public is routinely taken for a ride by all these political parties and we just give-in and pay through our noses for everything, however grudgingly! It's a vicious cycle.
IamNikhil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:03   #7270
Senior - BHPian

Fuel prices set to slide soon as OPEC+ agrees to boost supply

Source : TOI

Ideally, heading should have been "Crude prices set to slide soon"; as in India, retail fuel prices are independent of global crude prices . Thanks to you know who.

Quote:
Fuel prices are expected to come down shortly as the OPEC+ grouping on Sunday agreed to add more barrels to the market, averting a supply squeeze and reducing the risk of an inflationary oil price spike.

The grouping, which includes Russia, decided to raise production by 400,000 barrels per day (bpd) from August till December to restore 2 million bpd of production, or about 44% of India’s daily requirement. It also agreed on a higher production quota for United Arab Emirates, Iraq and Kuwait – all India’s major suppliers.
AutoNoob is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:49   #7271
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Not sure if the govt. wants to fool us citizens or make a fool of themselves in front of OPEC.

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...1600661_1.html

Quote:
India, the world's third-biggest oil consumer, has conveyed to OPEC countries its concern over high oil prices that are threatening to impact the nascent economic recovery after the devastating pandemic.

New Oil Minister has made phone calls to key OPEC nations to convey the desire for an affordable price for consumers.
I can only guess his arguement to OPEC :"Please reduce the prices so that we can increase the taxes"
m8002? is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 15:44   #7272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Not sure if the govt. wants to fool us citizens or make a fool of themselves in front of OPEC.

I can only guess his (Oil Minister) arguement to OPEC :"Please reduce the prices so that we can increase the taxes"
OPEC doesn't care a fig about countries like ours. Also, our fuel prices are not directly linked to global crude prices. The only reason we have skyhigh fuel prices is because of arbitrary taxation both at the Central and State levels. There has been a growing demand for including fuel in the list of items that come under GST but no political party has vocally supported this demand, because the oil lobby is very strong. The one and only way to meter fuel prices would be a uniform rate of taxation across the country, which is possible only under the ambit of GST. Till then, let's just wait for another round of elections so the government(s) acts out another gimmick of freezing the price hike and/or reducing the taxes by 1 or 2 rupees, as is the standard norm!
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:04   #7273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
The only reason we have skyhigh fuel prices is because of arbitrary taxation both at the Central and State levels.
State VAT has actually been very stable. As a matter of fact, in a couple of states the VAT on fuel has even reduced a little. It's only Central taxes which keep on increasing.

Quote:
There has been a growing demand for including fuel in the list of items that come under GST but no political party has vocally supported this demand, because the oil lobby is very strong.
Why would GST help? GST is uniform taxation but not necessarily uniform Low. Just like they have labelled some products as sin products & hence allowed themselves to charge even 200% GST, they could do the same thing for Fuel also. Else just like Luxury car has cess on top of GST, likewise they would add cess to Fuel prices giving it some new category name.

Also who is Oil Lobby & why do they want the Fuel to not come under GST - how would it harm them?
carboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 18:51   #7274
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I filled petrol at the rate of 107.8/- in Mumbai!
I filled it for 109/- in Rajasthan yesterday, I win you lose! *while actually crying inside*
I have booked a Ola scooter recently and will soon install solar panels on my roof, only electric vehicles can give some relief now.
yesyeswe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 23:23   #7275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why would GST help? GST is uniform taxation but not necessarily uniform Low. Just like they have labelled some products as sin products & hence allowed themselves to charge even 200% GST, they could do the same thing for Fuel also. Else just like Luxury car has cess on top of GST, likewise they would add cess to Fuel prices giving it some new category name.

Also who is Oil Lobby & why do they want the Fuel to not come under GST - how would it harm them?
Currently, the highest GST slab set by the GST Council is at 28%. Presently, the cumulative tax collected on petroleum products by both, Central & State governments stands at approx 60%. If the slab is fixed at 28% even, the estimated revenue shortfall would be over 2.5 lakh crore annually. As per reports from recent GST council meetings, multiple state finance ministers have vocally opposed any such move, since states are not ready to lose this revenue.

In all this, we consumers will always be at the receiving end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks