Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 00:06   #7636
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Thread is very interesting to read and know more unknown facts about fuel.

If they justify that high fuel prices is to bring in EV's ? How much electricity do you think is produced using fossil fuels?
Diesel's main use is to transport goods, run Genset for factories and so on. We don't yet have EV trucks.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 00:06   #7637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Corona situation has been a harsh crisis world over. India's situation is much better than many other developed countries. Of course, if you read agenda-driven media like NYT, you'll get a different picture. But hey, that's NYT for you, they run an agenda where they conveniently overlook the terrible situation in their backyard and misreport about India.

Your holding a grudge against this govt is unfair, as this govt has done a stellar job in handling it for the most part, for a country like ours.
Mate, you were making some sense in
your post, till this part ! The moment you put words like agenda and something while defending this government (and perhaps maybe - the loot on fuel prices, but you did mention you are not ok with rising fuel prices so well - it seems you're defending this government. PS, covid mismanagement is not strongly related to the context of this thread I believe), other members including me, lost it. Have you forgotten the dreadful second wave ? Before commenting something like this in a public forum, you should have thought about what if your words hurt someone who has lost their loved ones to the second wave of covid - which happened due to this very government's complete failure.

And on top of that, they're rubbing in with high fuel taxes, fooling gullible souls into thinking that the money they're paying through nose, is actually spent on vaccines and medications. While the reality I see is, most of the money is spent on PR - tv, newspaper, radio heck they didn't even leave an aeroplane ! Talk about all noise and no work.

People are just fed up with ever rising fuel prices that makes no sense, and it is seriously affecting daily lives. I request you to let members vent out their anger here and please stop trying to fight for the government. When time comes (I pray and hope it never does), these very people you're arguing with, will come forward to help you, than someone from government you're defending here !
Akshay6988 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 01:23   #7638
BHPian

Fuel price is always going to be a sticky topic but what surprises me how easily some esteemed members turn it into political discussion and always harp on the myth of low tax payers base when reality is majority of Indians earn barely enough to meet their ends and most of them have single person earning who are not well versed with IT returns.

So I request members stop false propaganda of low tax base. The government is lot smarter than you think especially in this digital age.

What is required is a white paper or an independent audit on government expenditure and reasons for such fuel frequent fuel hikes.

P.S.
Let us keep our political affiliation out of team bhp and this thread.
FrozeninTime is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 01:39   #7639
BHPian

After reading the last few pages of this discussion thread, my 2 cents:

Being a NRI, I have always wanted to return to India sometime in my life the though process being closer to loved ones, relatives and friends.

In recent times, the ever increasing prices of commodities, food, rising inflation (primary driver being fuel costs since that factors in the input price of all them) have instilled so much of uncertainty and fear if I will ever be able to come to that decision.

I am not a financial expert by any means, but when one take a closer look at the direct taxes vs indirect taxes it will be evidently clear the so called middle class and the classes below are the ones who bears the whole brunt of the idea of taxation policies in India i.e. Farmers, Taxi wallahs, auto drivers, truck drivers to name a few.
For salaried professionals, its a double whammy to get taxed for the earnings and get taxed for the consumption.

Here in the land of opportunities (AKA USA), the prices I am paying is lesser than what I paid 15 years ago (yes 15 years ago). This is how the input costs are controlled by not slapping a tax on people and goods who essentially have to move.

To put this literally: while other countries tax the earnings and consumption, India taxes people and goods that have to move for the country to stay alive.
motorhead123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 06:20   #7640

What's funny in this whole thread is the fact that nobody has a straight answer as to why the taxes levied by the states is sooo damn high!

For Centre, taxes make sense as they have a nation to run and they have a stable tax rate across the nation. They have to pay for subsides, defense, welfare scheme, infrastructure and other resources including cleanup of mess left by the others that states don't have to pay for.

So why states like MH charges such high tax (bordering the taxes charged by Centre) on fuel and other resources with no reduction. and why other states get away with less taxes on fuel? What's so special in MH?

We have to face similar situation for vehicle registration, just players are different.

GST seems to the only option to curtail this issue once in for all.
tedha_ant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 06:31   #7641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead123 View Post
Being a NRI, I have always wanted to return to India sometime in my life the though process being closer to loved ones, relatives and friends.
I made that mistake 10 years back of coming back to India. I to this date regret the decision. I would say that the cost of living in US is much cheaper than in India. In India it is like a loot in all the places for that matter take Schools, Colleges or Hospitals. The Govt. infrastructure for schools, colleges and hospitals is almost nonexistent and wherever there is public dealing you cannot move an inch forward without bribing.

Indian Govt. is also not sparing it's citizens and trying to extract as much money from the population as possible in the form of tax. Citizens of this country are struggling to survive and Govt. is hell bent on taking Cess in the name of cows and what not. Would say we are lucky not to have Covid Cess tax.

If anyone tries to question the Govt. then you either become a antinational or the response would be that because of the decisions made by the previous non BJP Govt. we are under this situation or it ends up being a religious divide discussion.

There are many positive aspects of this Govt. for which I would also praise it but the Govt. needs to understand that they also need to think about the survival of it's citizens.

Last edited by sunbaj : 2nd November 2021 at 06:46.
sunbaj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 07:18   #7642
BHPian

No matter what we say, these exorbitant pricing can't be justified. In my opinion, this cements the fact that for a democracy to function properly, a strong opposition is second to none. Our lack of balance in the ruling administration vs the opposition is not helping the one-sided decisions like these. Also, I don't think there has been any serious debates being done solely on this topic in either houses of the parliament in the recent times.

Yes, a developing country has its high demands of public money for improving infrastructure, etc. however heavily taxing a much needed commodity in the name of development is just not justifiable, or may be even detrimental. I was pretty optimistic when the news of GST roll-out came in to picture, but that also was watered down with lots of if's and but's. What's mindboggling is the fact that other than some once in a while noise created for namesake by few of the CM's, none of the state leaders seem to be bothered about the fuel prices anymore As someone rightly mentioned, the state is bearing the fruit and still playing the innocent card. The life for a typical middle-class family is getting more and more difficult day by day in our country.
bhp_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 07:31   #7643
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
As someone rightly mentioned, the state is bearing the fruit and still playing the innocent card.
How exactly is the state bearing the fruit of the union excise taxes? Out of the 33 Rs of Union Excise taxes, the states gets around 60 Paise. The remaining 32.60 Rs is kept by the Union Govt.
carboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 08:12   #7644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
I made that mistake 10 years back of coming back to India. I to this date regret the decision. I would say that the cost of living in US is much cheaper than in India. In India it is like a loot in all the places for that matter take Schools, Colleges or Hospitals. The Govt. infrastructure for schools, colleges and hospitals is almost nonexistent and wherever there is public dealing you cannot move an inch forward without bribing..
India is not uniform, if you have such not so favourable opinion being in a part of India then I would say you need to explore more. India is not perfect but not as bad as you have thought as well. My kid was born in a government hospital just 4 years ago. It's not that I couldn't afford a multi speciality hospital of so called international standard. I chose government hospital because I trust the system, I paid 50 rupees as admission and room charge. Few people don't go to government hospitals/schools because they think its beneath their dignity. I studied all my life in government schools, again it's not because my parents could not afford private schools. Even today majority of government school teachers are paid better than their private school counterparts.Yes fuel tax is high, but not everything is bad in India.
nandrive is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 08:25   #7645
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: A gentle reminder of our rules against posting on politics / politicians. Any BHPian continuing with the same will be restricted from posting on this thread.

Thanks for the support & understanding

@ BHPians: Please report (Report Posts : Contribute in Maintaining Team-BHP's post quality) any further political posts.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2021 at 08:27.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 08:53   #7646
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How exactly is the state bearing the fruit of the union excise taxes? Out of the 33 Rs of Union Excise taxes, the states gets around 60 Paise. The remaining 32.60 Rs is kept by the Union Govt.
Because state taxes are applied on top of excise as a percentage. So both increase in excise and increase in core fuel price benefit state too.

I would think we should lock this thread. There is no rational in any discussion here.

Best is, when someone says the poor will be affected and they will have a crisis of buying essentials but no one seems to say they are themselves in crisis, because most are not but need an reason to complain.

Yes, fuel is super expensive, so are cars! There is 48% GST on cars. Guess everyone has made their point (or complained/ cribbed) by now, should put this discussion to rest.
SLK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:00   #7647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

I would think we should lock this thread. There is no rational in any discussion here.
So are you suggesting there is rational in these ridiculous fuel taxes?

If nobody vents out, they will shamelessly continue to increase the taxes at twice the rate.

We've been lied to from the beginning starting with the argument that increased taxes will give a cushion when oil prices go high. Enough is enough.
Turbohead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:05   #7648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Best is, when someone says the poor will be affected and they will have a crisis of buying essentials but no one seems to say they are themselves in crisis, because most are not but need an reason to complain.

Yes, fuel is super expensive, so are cars! There is 48% GST on cars. Guess everyone has made their point (or complained/ cribbed) by now, should put this discussion to rest.
I guess you have not read recent posts on this thread. There are members who have shared how this fuel loot is affecting their budget. Just because one is member of team BHP and has car(s) doesn't mean he's very rich, this forum has people from all sections of society . I firmly believe this discussion should not be stopped, we should discuss, rant and vent out our anger. Someone can also share how they're coping up with higher fuel prices. I'm sure it'll be beneficial for some people, and that is the purpose of this thread.
Akshay6988 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:24   #7649

My take on this is, I see consumption based taxes as a great equaliser in our country. At least in my state(Andhra), the really poor get doles from government and are protected from consumption based taxes to an extent. With the level of tax evasion in our country, where businessmen, wealthy farmers(a few in my family) and professionals pay relatively much lower tax, I see consumption based taxes as the only way forward, with some support to the poor to compensate. This seems to be the only politically feasible way for any government.
Nari01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:36   #7650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Robbers get to work when it's dark.

Dear government, just shut the heck up and stop all this nonsense of cess, octroi etc. Bring fuels under GST and charge 8-12% tax.

Enough of the looting.
That is the crux of the matter here. While the centre is trying to push for bringing fuel under GST, there are a few states which are allegedly resisting this move as it may affect the state revenue on fuels. The problem may not be as simple as it looks at the surface.

Also, this will probably result in fast-tracking the move towards electric and hydrogen fuel vehicles, as in happening in Europe.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed