Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2022, 10:49   #7981
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

The other day, on a long drive, I waited till entering KA to top-up a few litres of petrol. Was surprised to see that petrol costs almost Rs 1 more compared to Bangalore.

How come there is a price difference within KA?
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 11:41   #7982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
How come there is a price difference within KA?
This is on expected lines. Highway prices and suburban fuel prices are often higher than urban prices. Normal diesel costed 94.19 in Ekayars BPCL in T. Nagar and 94.78 in Maraimalainagar BPCL COCO after the recent price cut.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 14:08   #7983
BHPian

Diesel is so cheap in Himachal. On the way back from Spiti filled the tank up for Rs 82/ltr, then around 89 in UP and here in CG its 95.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 10:50   #7984
Senior - BHPian

An interesting article regarding AP petrol bunks near the KA border losing business.

Source: The Federal

Quote:
The fallout of the fuel price variations is evident on NH44 in the direction towards AP. If one travels from Bagepalli, Karnataka to Chilamathur in AP, one cannot ignore a strange spectacle – haystacks in petrol pumps. Since the business has been completely lost to Karnataka, many dealers have chosen to close their outlets and use the area as gaddi vamu (haystacks). Others have just left the petrol stations idle.
Probably the situation might be similar in those inter-state border areas where there is a non-negligible difference in fuel prices between the two states.
Old 7th June 2022, 16:22   #7985
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
An interesting article regarding AP petrol bunks near the KA border losing business.

Source: The Federal

Probably the situation might be similar in those inter-state border areas where there is a non-negligible difference in fuel prices between the two states.
This was common ( but in the reverse way at the TN-KA border ) in Hosur till about 3 years back. There used to be a bunch of bunks before the border and people/trucks used to tank up. Now that KA fuel is cheaper, I am sure some of them must have shut down. And new pumps have come up on the KA side.

But I really pity the businessmen whose business just disappears on the whims of the politicians ( a la Thanos style )
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 11:36   #7986
BHPian

Today I found Shell to be expensive by Rs 30/- for a litre of diesel compared to PSU pumps. Ended up going to IOC COCO to fill up the tank. Probably Shell is having trouble sourcing fuel.

Last edited by abhilashgp : 19th June 2022 at 11:37.
Old 20th June 2022, 10:09   #7987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashgp View Post
Today I found Shell to be expensive by Rs 30/- for a litre of diesel compared to PSU pumps. Ended up going to IOC COCO to fill up the tank. Probably Shell is having trouble sourcing fuel.
Probably this is the reason.

From today's Deccan Herald Bangalore edition.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-184219ce442848929f935308b177757d.jpeg  

tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 12:38   #7988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
CNG in Delhi is over 73 Rupees.

This price for petrol was considered high at a time.

;_;
CNG has stabilised at over 75 rupees/kg in Delhi.

This is the new normal I guess.
Old 30th June 2022, 15:05   #7989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Instead of writing to Government, if they are indeed on a loss, they should go Competition Commission of India against the PSUs for abusing their dominant market position with artificial low prices.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 09:26   #7990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This is on expected lines. Highway prices and suburban fuel prices are often higher than urban prices. Normal diesel costed 94.19 in Ekayars BPCL in T. Nagar and 94.78 in Maraimalainagar BPCL COCO after the recent price cut.
Quote:
The other day, on a long drive, I waited till entering KA to top-up a few litres of petrol. Was surprised to see that petrol costs almost Rs 1 more compared to Bangalore.
Interesting to hear this - I always kind of assumed prices within the city would be relatively higher; basis the higher retail space costs.

Is this common across all pumps across various cities/states?
Old 1st July 2022, 13:47   #7991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Here's a comparison between the petrol prices in a Bharat Petroleum in BTM vs Tumkur bypass from Fuelio. There is a 50 paisa difference between them.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-img_1800.png  

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-img_1801.png  

narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 16:59   #7992
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Pray why? So that the delivery organisations(dunno, swiggy, blue dart, amazon, tomato, pizza, other restaurants, etc.), underage kids, bike taxis, etc. can have lower prices. Their commission will only reduce if this happens. I know we have to support the corporates by reducing their overheads and taxes, but even the common man driving his car should also benefit.
Out of the 80% vehicles which are two wheelers, its only good by "Equity" standards that all two wheelers below 150 CC need get petrol at lower rates. For most of them they cannot abandon and neither can they buy electric two wheelers. It would be good to let them have some expendable income. Only to support Equity.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 23:22   #7993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting to hear this - I always kind of assumed prices within the city would be relatively higher; basis the higher retail space costs.

Fuel prices also depend on the distances from the refuelling depots. The rates are less for the bunks which are nearer to the refuelling depots and it goes on increasing according to the distance. Only for this reason, Sri Ganganagar- a small town in Rajasthan (near India-Pakistan border) has the most expensive fuel in the country.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 19:13   #7994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashgp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

From today's Deccan Herald Bangalore edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Quite obviously out of touch on this topic

Do check the other threads on fuel pricing. It has been so for some time now. Even without this, I didnt find the need to go to shell - both from pricing perspective and observations.

Like the currently popular response to that question: You are Shell-shocked
Haha, Shell-Shocked I truly am .

Just checked the fuel pricing thread and another Bhpian abhilashgp posted the same information there i.e. Rs 30 difference between Shell vs PSU rate. Also, in the same thread, another Bhpian tharian shared a picture saying may be PSU retailers are making a significant loss at the current MRP of Rs 90-100 range and that is the reason for this huge gap. No wonder Shell bunk was completely empty today when I went there and all attendants were just waiting and trying to ask me to come to them / their machine (ek customer aa hee gaya might be going through their head ). Though I was filling it after a gap of around 2.5 months but I had expected the price to be around Rs 95-100 as government (state + central) had cut some VAT etc couple of months back and price had come down by Rs 10 overnight after reaching around Rs 105 diesel.

If PSU's are still offering at around Rs 90-100 range, my hunch was correct that something looks wrong at this atrocious pricing of Rs 130 / ltr and now in hindsight I should have checked then itself and gone to PSU instead. I would definitely be checking this difference before going to Shell again.
Old 11th July 2022, 19:31   #7995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I always kind of assumed prices within the city would be relatively higher; basis the higher retail space costs.
Prices vary ever so lightly within a state, based on distance of supply. Sometimes even between city & outskirts.

However, at state borders, when the difference is noticeable, the bunks near the border in the state with lower prices will sell at the rate in the other state. A standard practice to dissuade people from driving across the border to take advantage of the lower price on the other side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks