Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 14:42   #541
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is bad news indeed
50 rs extra per cylinder is ok - we need to pay since the price has gone up. But this rationing of gas is very bad. Normal households with 4-5 people living in them, would use about 1 cylinder per month/ 40 days or so in my estimation. Then in Karnataka the cost per unit of Electricty also is one of the highest in the country. Kerosene is available only to Ration card holders or at ridiculous prices for highly adulterated rubbish in the grey market.
What other cooking medium can one use to sustain the household?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
The Rs.50/cylinder hike of cooking gas will hit the middle class. What is more shocking is that the petroleum minister is proposing 8 cylinders per year per household (irrespective of the number of people). You will get more than 8 cylinders / year, but they will cost double the price. (This news is on IBNLive News | India News Homepage). As it is, the pain of price hike of petrol, diesel and cooking gas is hurting badly, but this proposal on rationing is terrible. We are going back to the good old 60's rather than moving forward.
Old 4th June 2008, 14:45   #542
Senior - BHPian

I heard that GM is selling Hummer brand? I don't want to buy it now :(
Old 4th June 2008, 14:47   #543
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Nice one bblost, but in the Chennai climate, we cant even ride a bike, forget a cycle.

I spent a good part of my life in Chennai. My family still lives there.
My BSA SLR was with me from my 5th standard till my 11th when it finally broke up. Used too cycle all the way from Adyar to Prathana drivein. and sometimes from Adyar to Roypettah.

I still remember once my friend and I did Adyar to Gandhi statue (Marina) in about 8 minutes.

The climate has not changed as much as us.
We have grown older.
Old 4th June 2008, 14:53   #544
Senior - BHPian

Got this via an email.. the break up... can someone explain why are we taxed so heavily on fuel when we already pay hefty income tax and a myraid no. of indirect taxes already.

Basic Price = Rs 21.93
Excise duty = Rs 14.35
Education Tax = Rs 0.43
Dealer commission = Rs 1.05
VAT = Rs 5.5
Crude Oil Custom duty = Rs 1.1
Petrol Custom = Rs 1.54
Transportation Charge = Rs 6.00
Total price = Rs 51.90

Last edited by extreme_torque : 4th June 2008 at 14:55.
Old 4th June 2008, 15:09   #545
Team-BHP Support

A big carnage is in the stock market.
My portfolio lost much more money that I would lose by the 3rs diesel hike!
Old 4th June 2008, 15:14   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Cost of pertol/ltr. in different countries:

Turkey : Rs. 113.3 /ltr.
Norway : Rs. 112 / ltr.
UK : Rs. 95.5 / ltr.
HongKong : Rs. 84.1 / ltr.
Brazil : Rs. 66 / ltr.
Canada: Rs. 57 / ltr.
PAKISTAN : RS. 44 / LTR. OF PETROL !!

US : Rs. 44.25 / ltr.
Russia : Rs. 42.28 / ltr.

CHINA : RS. 31.3 /LTR OF PETROL !!

Malayasia : Rs. 25.4 / ltr.

UAE : Rs. 15.65 / ltr.
Saudi Arabia : Rs. 5 / ltr.
Venezuela : Rs. 2.12 / ltr.
Wondering if it is correct to compare the prices as such. ie.. translate the currency to the nearest INR based on exchange rates.
The value of money plays a big role here. In the US atleast, the 1 pence or even a quarter( our equivalent of 25paise ) holds value. But does a 25 paise hold any good here in India ? If you keep that in mind, the value will change dramatically.
Old 4th June 2008, 15:14   #547
BHPian

All the Babu politicians must stop using any private vehicle and must rely only on public transport and be a role model to the citizens of this country. Let them travel by bus and train and enjoy what the common man does. Most of the problems will be solved if they bring in good public transport.

And the lefties better they are deported from the country. Spineless!
Old 4th June 2008, 15:15   #548
Senior - BHPian

The envitable happenend, Rs.5 is bit surprising, I was expecting Rs.3

I may have to cut down on my daily Car rides to office, to start with, I was thinking of 3 days by Car & 2 days by Bike....!
Old 4th June 2008, 15:21   #549
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

to line the pockets of our wicked politicos and fund their personal retirement plans....
but seriously - if each state is allowed to levy whatever it wants as taxes and excise then this is what will happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Got this via an email.. the break up... can someone explain why are we taxed so heavily on fuel when we already pay hefty income tax and a myraid no. of indirect taxes already.

Basic Price = Rs 21.93
Excise duty = Rs 14.35
Education Tax = Rs 0.43
VAT = Rs 5.5
Petrol Custom = Rs 1.54
Total price = Rs 51.90
Old 4th June 2008, 15:27   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
The Rs.50/cylinder hike of cooking gas will hit the middle class. What is more shocking is that the petroleum minister is proposing 8 cylinders per year per household (irrespective of the number of people). You will get more than 8 cylinders / year, but they will cost double the price. (This news is on IBNLive News | India News Homepage). As it is, the pain of price hike of petrol, diesel and cooking gas is hurting badly, but this proposal on rationing is terrible. We are going back to the good old 60's rather than moving forward.
This is move is quite weird. How is a big household going to survive on 1 cylinder for 45 days? with 4 members in my household its just about 45 days to a change. If this is strictly enforced, I guess private players will cash in and sell their cylinders as fill ins for atleast 600-700 a cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post
oil hovering around 125 $ per barrel, government did not have any option but to raise fuel prices. but this move of reducing the customs duty on crude will have an adverse effect on the macro economics of our country. Brace ourselves for some bad times ahead.
Dkhatau, sadly not everyone understands this. So this is going to be end of line for the Congress in the next General Elections. Opposition will play these cards for sure. No matter who was in rule this hike was imminent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Taxing diesel will mean a steep increase in all the essential commodities as lorries and buses run on diesel. They should tax diesel cars more instead to force people to buy petrol cars.
As per my Understanding Diesel cars are already charged higher taxes than the Petrol ones.

Quote:

Basic Price = Rs 21.93
Excise duty = Rs 14.35
Education Tax = Rs 0.43
VAT = Rs 5.5
Petrol Custom = Rs 1.54
Total price = Rs 51.90
This is a neat break up. If someone can validate this it would be nice. I have been wondering what is the tax % for petrol prices.

The funniest is the Education tax. On one hand the govt poses subsidies on Petroleum and on the other hand its taxed as well. There may be an explanation to it, however its Ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A big carnage is in the stock market.
My portfolio lost much more money that I would lose by the 3rs diesel hike!
Not only Stock Market :( - the Domino effect will continue in further price rises in all sections of the economy.
Old 4th June 2008, 15:30   #551
Senior - BHPian

I am finding a lot of similar minded ideas above exactly as I thought reading the oil price hikes ! Instead of barking on the situation without any use, thought of painting a scenario myself. I am looking for a cycle rikshaw that can be modified !!
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-oil.jpg  

Old 4th June 2008, 15:31   #552
BHPian

Surprise..surprise... Commies demands review of price hike.

Quote:
Angry over the 'steep hike' in fuel prices, the United Progressive Alliance's Left allieson Wednesday demanded a review of the decision as it announced a week-long nationwide agitation to protest the "unjustified burden" imposed on the common man.

Pointing out that the hike will "further aggravate" the inflationary situation, the parties said this "onslaught" on the people comes at a time when they are suffering from the steep rise in prices of all essential commodities.
Fuel price hike: Left demands review

\N
Old 4th June 2008, 15:35   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Basic Price = Rs 21.93
Excise duty = Rs 14.35
Education Tax = Rs 0.43
VAT = Rs 5.5
Petrol Custom = Rs 1.54
Total price = Rs 51.90

What is transportation charge ? Fuel is refined in Vadodara and sold here in Vadodara and also in A'bad. So transporting the fuel to both Vadodara and A'bad cost the same ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
This is move is quite weird. How is a big household going to survive on 1 cylinder for 45 days? with 4 members in my household its just about 45 days to a change. If this is strictly enforced, I guess private players will cash in and sell their cylinders as fill ins for atleast 600-700 a cylinder.
Every month we have to fight with our agency for this. He is "Sansad Sabhya " and so fighting with that agency is meaningless. We suffer very much and with four members, the cyld. will last for 40 days. We book a cylinder and then again the booking will be offically noted after a week and then delivered after 20 days. And then after the cyld is delivered to us + 21 days, then we are eligible for a new booking.

Its frustrating us and sometimes I just have to sit and curse my luck.
Old 4th June 2008, 15:37   #554
BHPian

oh crap!!

Fuel is even more expensive in thane than in Mumbai. But i have LPG in the car so i think i will still try to survive till the next Auto LPG price hike. Else i am buying me a bicycle
Old 4th June 2008, 15:38   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
What is transportation charge ? Fuel is refined in Vadodara and sold here in Vadodara and also in A'bad. So transporting the fuel to both Vadodara and A'bad cost the same ?
You need to ask this to oil companies? Even I am the sufferer!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks