Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 15:44   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Though some say, the UPA govt is not to blame for the global price rise, I would say that the UPA govt and the govts before them are to blame for the soup the country is in today.
1. Even though Biodiesel trials were underway for many years in many countries, our govt decided only in 2003 that a biodiesel policy is needed
2. Even then the GoM has not met on the policy and now its pushed to Late 2008
India has lots of uncultivated land where Jathropa can grow. If the govt had started on Biodiesel way back in 1995, we could be meeting 30% of our diesel demand locally.

Hopefully the govt wakes up to this crisis and takes the following steps
1. Create a EPA like agency and fix vehicle excise duty based on FE and not engine size
2. Zero tax(sales/excise/registeration) for no fossil fuel vehicles. This includes EVs, hydrogen based vehicles etc.,
3. Low tax on vehicles running on fuels like CNG which we have in abundance.
4. Instead of LPG, start piped gas wherever possible, so CNG can be used for cooking.
5. Bring barren land under Jathropa cultivation, and start biodiesel refineries
6. Link every corner of big cities with public transport.If you give good public transport, people will give up cars. People who come to CP and are in metro accessible areas like North Delhi etc., do not get their car, they always take the metro.

But all these steps are 10-15 year plans. The loyality of the govt lies with the political party its comprises of, and not the country. So all they care is how to win elections
There are many people who are ready to accept CNG as their primary fuel, but for that the avaliability of CNG has to be increased. In this matter no government step has managed to give respite to the end user. The end user,at the end of the day is not getting any benefits.
About Bio diesel, it looks like it is going LCA ( Light Combat Aircraft ) originally planned in 80's. Because of reasons I dont want to discuss, we could not develop one and ended up paying a huge amount to get liscence to produce Mig-21.
Whenever it is passed, Biodiesel will be 50 years late.

About government making and EPA like institue, they wont make one because if they do, much of the money they are making, they wont be able to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You need to ask this to oil companies? Even I am the sufferer!

Makes me wonder, who is not the sufferer ? This is ridiculous from any point of view. I have earlier in this thread posted the international cost of fuel and even Pakistan get 44 rs/ltr petrol.
Pakistan people paid less than us before also and now the new hike.

NOTE: I AM USING ANOTHER COUNTRY JUST FOR COMPARISON AND TO MAKE A POINT THAT WE ARE CHEATED AND CHARGED MUCH MORE WITHOUT SCIENTIFIC AND LOGICAL REASON.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th June 2008 at 17:08. Reason: back to back posts: See note in post
Old 4th June 2008, 15:53   #557
Senior - BHPian

Was expecting this... CPM and Trinamool Congress calls 12 hour bandhs (strikes) on Thursday and Friday respectively. The fun begins...
Old 4th June 2008, 15:57   #558
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

in bangalore if you see the long lines of vehicles (mostly auto rickshaws) wherever CNG is available, this will put anyone off.
CNG is great but needs to be made freely available so that more people can convert to it.
also they should hurry up the hybrid vehicle technology in India so that atleast a percentage of users can convert. If they make this technology affordable, then it would be a god send for many of us.
I read the review of the test drive of the Hybrid MHAWK Scorp recently in one of the car magazines and the report was very positive. I, for one, would certainly like to opt for Hybrid technology provided it is affordable. That way I can do my little bit to cut fuel consumption too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
There are many people who are ready to accept CNG as their primary fuel, but for that the avaliability of CNG has to be increased. In this matter no government step has managed to give respite to the end user. The end user,at the end of the day is not getting any benefits.
About Bio diesel, it looks like it is going LCA ( Light Combat Aircraft ) originally planned in 80's. Because of reasons I dont want to discuss, we could not develop one and ended up paying a huge amount to get liscence to produce Mig-21.
Whenever it is passed, Biodiesel will be 50 years late.

About government making and EPA like institue, they wont make one because if they do, much of the money they are making, they wont be able to make.
Old 4th June 2008, 15:58   #559
Senior - BHPian

So an extended weekend for you Cal guys??
Old 4th June 2008, 16:00   #560
BHPian

Guess what? People already started protesting. Left & BJP both are at it.

Fuel price hike: Left demands review

Govt has unleashed economic terror: BJP-India Business-Business-The Times of India

Left demands price hike review, calls for agitation-India-The Times of India
Old 4th June 2008, 16:01   #561
Senior - BHPian

Classic Left move ! )

NDTV.com: RJD joins Left, seeks review of fuel price hike

The drama continues..
Old 4th June 2008, 16:05   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
in bangalore if you see the long lines of vehicles (mostly auto rickshaws) wherever CNG is available, this will put anyone off.
CNG is great but needs to be made freely available so that more people can convert to it.
also they should hurry up the hybrid vehicle technology in India so that atleast a percentage of users can convert. If they make this technology affordable, then it would be a god send for many of us.
I read the review of the test drive of the Hybrid MHAWK Scorpio recently in one of the car magazines and the report was very positive. I, for one, would certainly like to opt for Hybrid technology provided it is affordable. That way I can do my little bit to cut fuel consumption too.
Exactly, alternative fuel i.e. CNG has a very huge amount of scope to be explored and if made available as freely as petrol, there will be an unbelievably huge number of vehicles who will change. This is good from emission point of view also.
Hybrid is really a technology that is need of the hour in India, where there is lot of stop and go traffic plus relatively less high speed driving available. This technology can help especially in city driving.
Old 4th June 2008, 16:06   #563
Senior - BHPian

I agree with shankar here, who...tell me who would have come out with a better solution.

Lets also not forget that we are enjoying the barrel rates of almost a year back in our retail consumption and the these OC's are bearing the brunt of it.

When world over the per barrel prices are touching the sky, how can you remain shielded from it and to top it the inflation too.

They have not increased the Kerosene rates to shield the poor/ BPL consumers, which is also good.

I know there are shortcoming but lets think maturely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I submit the following: (Its a combination of suggestions as well as a bit of a rant, so forgive me please)

1.The price rise in Fuel was inevitable bearing in mind the astronomical prices of crude in the international market. A correction of this kind was absolutely required since we are still being heavily subsidised.
2.However, while raising the prices, our govt has also reduced duties etc to minimise the impact on common people which must be appreciated.

We all know inflation is already far above normal levels and this Fuel price rise will impact it by another 1% probably. Simple food and essential commodity costs will rise as will many other things.

It does make you sit up a bit and think doesnt it?
Old 4th June 2008, 16:10   #564
BHPian

Petrol up by Rs 5; diesel Rs 3

Prices of petrol and diesel have been hiked by Rs 5 per litre and Rs 3 respectively to curtail losses of state-owned oil firms. LPG prices have also been raised by Rs 50 per cylinder. Earlier, the government cut customs duty on crude oil. The excise duties have also been reduced.
Following the price hike, which would be effective from midnight of Wednesday, the oil prices in different cities have increased accordingly.

Petrol Diesel

Delhi Rs 50.56 Rs 34.80

Mumbai Rs 55.54 Rs 39.12

Chennai Rs 54.64 Rs 37.44

Chandigarh Rs 51.19 Rs 34.69

This was decided at a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday. To further ease the burden on state oil marketing companies, the Reserve Bank of India had earlier allowed domestic oil companies to hedge on crude oil in overseas exchanges and markets
Old 4th June 2008, 16:13   #565
BHPian

After this hike, would we still be forced to buy the so called "premium" fuel?
Old 4th June 2008, 16:18   #566
BHPian

i used to get permission to take the car out to college once a week.
since this unnecessary price hike . . .
I'm so doomed . . . fuel price in bangalore reaches to 58bucks approx.

Now where did i put that Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle of mine !!!
Old 4th June 2008, 16:19   #567
Senior - BHPian

Delhi has cheaper fuel than what we have here. Great!

Can anyone confirm: Is it that the major cities will now have only branded fuel with +5 on their original price ?
Old 4th June 2008, 16:24   #568
BHPian

In Baroda Diesel was already at 36.35 per L before the hike. Now its going to be in the range of 40 per L. Higher than all the major cities
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Delhi has cheaper fuel than what we have here. Great!

Can anyone confirm: Is it that the major cities will now have only branded fuel with +5 on their original price ?
Old 4th June 2008, 16:32   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
So an extended weekend for you Cal guys??
I wish. Will most probably have to come to office at the crack of dawn tomorrow & Friday.
And I think I will have to give diesel a serious thought now...
Old 4th June 2008, 16:37   #570
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure how much will Shell Bunks hike based on this increase as they charge around Rs68 for Super Unleaded(premium).

Most Viewed