Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 20:47   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Just read this on net
Petrol in India is cheaper than water
MUMBAI : With the hike of petrol and diesel in India, inevitable for the government with the rising global price of crude oil – the government is facing the worst case scenario: it could get booed out of power by the voters in the coming elections.
But analysts say any government in power would not have any other option but to bail out the oil companies who were facing bankruptcy. But can you believe that the fuel prices in India is still cheaper than water?
Bemused? Here are the statistics:
Petrol is cheaper than the Coca Cola you drink. It is not just petrol; most liquids that you daily use are more expensive than vehicle fuels as one of our readers pointed out. Here are the latest figures to compare.
Diesel (regular) in Mumbai : Rs.39.08 per litre
Petrol (speed) in Mumbai : Rs.57 per litre
Coca Cola 330 ml can : Rs.20 = Rs.61 per litre
Dettol antiseptic 100 ml Rs.20 = Rs.200 per litre
Radiator coolant 500 ml Rs.160 = Rs.320 per litre
Pantene conditioner 400 ml Rs..165 = Rs.413 per litre
Medicinal mouthwash like Listerine 100 ml Rs.45 = Rs. 450 per litre
Red Bull 150 ml can : Rs.75 = Rs.500 per litre
Corex cough syrup 100 ml Rs.57 = Rs. 570 per litre
Evian water 500 ml Rs. 330 = Rs. 660 per litre. Rs. 500 for a litre of WATER???!!! And the buyers don't even know the source (Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)
Kores whiteout 15 ml Rs. 15 = Rs. 1000 per litre
Cup of coffee at any decent business hotel 150 ml Rs. 175 = Rs. 1167 per litre
Old Spice after shave lotion 100 ml Rs. 175 = Rs. 1750 per litre
Pure almond oil 25 ml Rs. 68 = Rs. 2720 per litre
And this is the REAL KICKER...
HP Deskjet colour ink cartridge 21 ml Rs.1900 = Rs. 90476 per litre!!!
Now you know why computer printers are so cheap? So they have you hooked for the ink !
So, the next time you're at the pump, don't curse the government. On the contrary thank them that you are given fuel at a throw away price. A common man actually uses petrol worth 500 Rs per month and so he is given Rs 110 as subsidy by the government if you calculate by the latest rates.
And imagine what industrialists use? A whopping Rs 10000 per month on an average. The government gives these rich businessmen Rs 2200 as subsidy.
What would you prefer?
Source - Petrol in India is cheaper than water
The above comparision is quite good BUT!!!!!

I don't drink coca cola every day,
I don't drink botteld water everyday,
My after shave last me 4 months atleast,
Dettol antiseptic 100 ml will last me a year,
Radiator coolant I don't fill everyday,
Pantene conditioner I don't use this much either,
Medicinal mouthwash like Listerine I don't use this at all,
Red Bull 150 ml can, I don't like this drink at all,
Corex cough syrup 100 ml, 2 bottels of these may be in a year,
colour ink cartridge last me a long time.

BUT I consume Petrol everyday, and I consume anywhere between 3-4 liters of the same atleast every day.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 4th June 2008 at 20:49.
Old 4th June 2008, 22:11   #602
BANNED

Fuel prices have gone DOWN in West Bengal because the govt has cut sales tax. Only ifotehr states followed the suit!!!
Old 4th June 2008, 22:16   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Fuel prices have gone DOWN in West Bengal because the govt has cut sales tax. Only ifotehr states followed the suit!!!
Not gone down, the prices will be increased but by only 3 rs. while the rest of the country will have it raised by 5 rs. (for petrol). The WB govt. has decided to reduce the sales tax to insulate the increase in prices.
Old 4th June 2008, 22:31   #604
Senior - BHPian

I support this hike! The talk about it being a burden on poor is crap. Why do poor have so many children in the first place - coz things esp food and other everyday items are so cheap in india. people can live on as little as Rs 10 a day! If things were much costlier population would have been much less. Its generally the poor and lower midddle class people who have most kids. there should be disincentives for people to have less children and price hikes is (though cruel) but effective form of it!
Old 4th June 2008, 22:33   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I don't think it is fair to blame the Govt. for the price hike. This is a worldwide phenomenon and not restricted to this country alone. Increasing the tax base is the only way out for any Govt. in power in this country to ride out this worldwide economic downturn. It is only going to get worse. Brace yourselves.

What is not good is the reality that we have to pay a lot of tax on fuel also. The salaried middle class pays income tax, plus as the GOI ( Government Of India ) is not able to take tax from eligible persons, they tax fuel and the middle class has to pay this tax also.

Things now need to get fair. If government reduces tax on fuel, then we can have some relief. Its like this: Government takes a lot of money in form of tax and then gives a small subsidy. The oil companies are ( I doubt this ) in bad shape and government reaps money.

If we sit and compare, then malayasia has around 25-26Rs./ltr of petrol. Isnt it that crude prices are worldwide high ? China has around Rs36/ ltr of petrol.
Here I know that India is a different country, but now its really hurting for common man. Things need to be clarified and malpractices should be brought under scrutiny.

Here we have a right to blame government IMHO.

Mods: Sorry for earlier mistake.
Old 4th June 2008, 22:45   #606
Team-BHP Support

The Prime ministers reason for the fuel hike was we should pay for what it really costs. Since the rates rise internationally it is understandable that they rise here as well. Malaysia just had a similar price hike effective tomorrow.

What I don't understand is if we are expected to pay the same rate as international rates shouldn't we be entitled to the same fuel quality. I wouldn't have minded the increase if it was 95RON or now available with different RON numbers.
Old 4th June 2008, 22:56   #607
Senior - BHPian

Guess it is the right time Govt. starts subsidising the Reva!
Old 4th June 2008, 22:58   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I support this hike! The talk about it being a burden on poor is crap. Why do poor have so many children in the first place - coz things esp food and other everyday items are so cheap in india. people can live on as little as Rs 10 a day! If things were much costlier population would have been much less. Its generally the poor and lower midddle class people who have most kids. there should be disincentives for people to have less children and price hikes is (though cruel) but effective form of it!
What is the connection between poor people having more children and the fuel price hike.
Old 4th June 2008, 23:21   #609
BANNED

Our govt is yet to wake up to the alternative energy strategy
Old 4th June 2008, 23:41   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A more cruel and more effective (if i may say so) way would be to shoot all the lower middle class and poor people in a line!
Hats off dude!
Old 4th June 2008, 23:48   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
What is not good is the reality that we have to pay a lot of tax on fuel also. The salaried middle class pays income tax, plus as the GOI ( Government Of India ) is not able to take tax from eligible persons, they tax fuel and the middle class has to pay this tax also.

Things now need to get fair. If government reduces tax on fuel, then we can have some relief. Its like this: Government takes a lot of money in form of tax and then gives a small subsidy. The oil companies are ( I doubt this ) in bad shape and government reaps money.

If we sit and compare, then malayasia has around 25-26Rs./ltr of petrol. Isnt it that crude prices are worldwide high ? China has around Rs36/ ltr of petrol.
Here I know that India is a different country, but now its really hurting for common man. Things need to be clarified and malpractices should be brought under scrutiny.

Here we have a right to blame government IMHO.

Mods: Sorry for earlier mistake.
China and Malaysia subsidize heavily. Malaysia has already affected a 40% hike today and they are planning to further increase to bring the prices to international level.
China is the only odd man out right now and they too will be increasing soon. (Maybe after the olympics).

Expect prices of crude oil to start falling once all the big economies increase the prices of fuel. Demand will go down and prices too will start coming down in another 6 months or so.

Till then its pain at the pump.

My Avalon now tanks up at 80$. (A year or so back it used to be around 50$) I actually have to do two transactions at the pump in the US as the pumps in the US only allow max 75$ per transaction.

Enjoy the subsidized fuel in India.
Old 4th June 2008, 23:52   #612
BANNED

Inference 1: India is poor country because things are cheap here. Why cheap? So that poor people can afford things.
Quote:
Why do poor have so many children in the first place - coz things esp food and other everyday items are so cheap in india. people can live on as little as Rs 10 a day!
Inference 2: How to make India rich country? Raise the inflation to 100%, so that everything is expensive, only rich can afford and so only rich will survive. Country of rich people is a rich country.
Quote:
If things were much costlier population would have been much less. Its generally the poor and lower midddle class people who have most kids. there should be disincentives for people to have less children and price hikes is (though cruel) but effective form of it!
Old 5th June 2008, 00:10   #613
Senior - BHPian

What I really don't get is the farmer's protest against this price rise. I mean you get the following anyway:

1. Free Electricity
2. Free Water
3. Pay NO Income Tax
4. Subsidised Bank Loans
5. Get to legally default on your bank loans
6. Get subsidy on your seeds & fertilizers
7. Get recovery packages in case of a drought
8. Get Minimum Price Guarantee for your crops
9. Free infrastructure to use (Hospitals, Roads, Schools, Water etc.)
10. License to damage public property & inconvenience others (blocking roads/rail tracks) to satisfy your whims & fancies.
10. And on top of that get to sell your crops & pocket the money too!

I mean what the hell more do these guys want??

Last edited by iraghava : 5th June 2008 at 00:15.
Old 5th June 2008, 00:16   #614
HKP
BHPian

How much in Banglore?

Can anyone tell me how much its going to cost for a litre of petrol or diesel in Bangalore. I am away, just wanted to know.

I hope the new BJP gov does some tax cuts to bring the price of petrol in Bangalore. Currently its highest in India.

\\hkp
Old 5th June 2008, 00:16   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
What I really don't get is the farmer's protest against this price rise. I mean you get the following anyway:

1. Free Electricity
2. Free Water
3. Pay NO Income Tax
4. Subsidised Bank Loans
5. Get to legally default on your bank loans
6. Get subsidy on your seeds & fertilizers
7. Get recovery packages in case of a drought
8. Get Minimum Price Guarantee for your crops
9. Free infrastructure to use (Hospitals, Roads, Schools, Water etc.)
10. And on top of that get to sell your crops & pocket the money too!

I mean what the hell more do these guys want??
You forget the ones near SEZs and big citys who get huge payouts for land acquisition

So after the official new rates, is bangalore going to top the price list again?

And is Kolkota going to have only a 3Rs hike? for sure? kudos to CPI(m).
Do you think they are going to strike shortly? cheers:

Trivandrum/Cochin/Kolkota boys - happy holidays!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks