Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 09:48   #631
Senior - BHPian

Todays TOI says its 6 bucks for petrol and 3.65 in diesel... in bangalore....
Old 5th June 2008, 09:51   #632
BHPian

I think we are being too pessimistic here. Look at the brighter sides of things. Before the price hike, we heard stories that pumps were refusing to give you fuel worth more than (say) 500 rupees. Or were only willing to give branded fuel. This was being done as fuel supply to them was being rationed by the oil companies. The price rise was inevitable and was definitely coming. We would be lying to ourselves if we claimed that price rise was not required. Now after the raising of prices, atleast we are assured that we can get any amount of fuel and any brand of fuel we need without being harassed by the pump.
Old 5th June 2008, 09:59   #633
Senior - BHPian

I was lucky enough to get normal fuel at the pump. Asked him to do a tankfull in my car and that moron punched in 250. I said, Tankfull!!!! He said, card chaloo hai!!! Finally he understood that I was saying tankful. Thank god, I was talking to him in hindi only!

PS: I noticed that most of the bunks were selling SPEED/POWER and card machines were not working! way to make a quick buck!

Last edited by amtak : 5th June 2008 at 10:06.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:13   #634
LLL
BHPian

I didnt queue up but heard that pumps only gave 500 bucks of fuel yesterday. By selling low costing fuel at higher price today, pumps would be making a good profit.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:16   #635
SuperSyn

Rs. 5 for Petrol and Rs. 3 for Diesel is too little, too late.
Both Petrol and Diesel prices hould have been increased by Rs. 10 at the very lminimum, if we want to reflect the increase in crude prices.

Old 5th June 2008, 10:21   #636
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
took the BMW to fill up at 11pm...you can call me cheap or whatever but paying excess is a totally waste of money the tank was almost over and if i didnt fill up tonight my driver would next morning and pay 270bucks extra and thats just a sheer waste of cash even tho it might not be a big saving.
I am not going to comment on whether its justifiable or not; to each his own. But when a BMW owner fills up to avoid the midnight price hike, who's to comment on all those regular sedans & hatches in the long que?
Old 5th June 2008, 10:25   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
I didnt queue up but heard that pumps only gave 500 bucks of fuel yesterday. By selling low costing fuel at higher price today, pumps would be making a good profit.
A petrol pump in India makes 44 rupees for every 1000 litres of fuel sold. Everyone likes to make a few, quick and easy, bucks. So I don't blame the pump owners. Its just our mentality. We don't mind driving 10 kms. to go to our favourite pump to fill up, but when it comes to saving 10 rupees, we make a lot of hue and cry about it. We never factor-in the value of time wasted to stand in queues for hours to fill up. If we factor in all these, we will realise that we have lost money rather than gained it.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:31   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
A petrol pump in India makes 44 rupees for every 1000 litres of fuel sold. Everyone likes to make a few, quick and easy, bucks. So I don't blame the pump owners. Its just our mentality. We don't mind driving 10 kms. to go to our favourite pump to fill up, but when it comes to saving 10 rupees, we make a lot of hue and cry about it. We never factor-in the value of time wasted to stand in queues for hours to fill up. If we factor in all these, we will realise that we have lost money rather than gained it.
Well said, SumitB. But what is surprising is that even company-owned outlets like the IOC bunk at Madhapur were rationing fuel for the past 2 days. I got only 500 Rs petrol, and had to go to another bunk to fill up the tank.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:43   #639
BHPian

also the small petrol pump owners may adjust their machines during this point of time when they know that cars will come them.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:48   #640
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
Rs. 5 for Petrol and Rs. 3 for Diesel is too little, too late.
Both Petrol and Diesel prices hould have been increased by Rs. 10 at the very lminimum, if we want to reflect the increase in crude prices.
what do u drive again. and good for you , you aint living in bombay, if you did you would not say this. please dont entertain the government and their nasty taxes, firstly it makes no sense and in the end paying so much tax really does not help either.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:50   #641
Team-BHP Support

I used to fall for this mass hysteria thingy earlier. But a simple calculation made me realize exactly what this thread starter was trying to imply. Anyhow, i topped up the fuel in my car last week on my way to work, knowing very well that the price hike was for certain. Thats it's half way already is a different story altogether.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:00   #642
Senior - BHPian

The left parties are all managing a stage show, I think. Allow the government to raise the fuel prices. Plan for some bandhs and get the price reduced by some amount. Keep getting votes in couple of states who think they have done a great job.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:05   #643
BHPian

Yeh India ka politics hai! We are a country of 1 billion+ ruled by a handful of crooks. Vote bank is the name of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The left parties are all managing a stage show, I think. Allow the government to raise the fuel prices. Plan for some bandhs and get the price reduced by some amount. Keep getting votes in couple of states who think they have done a great job.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:05   #644
BHPian

You can't avoid the indian herd mentality which doesn't question a motive or use logic before committing to the common cause. The instance quoted here is just an extension of other things in life. Investment, Studies, Entertainment, Music, etc...
Old 5th June 2008, 11:08   #645
Senior - BHPian

Haha, humans.
Its really interesting to note that this thing has been going on ever since the price hike was mulled.

Even though it was evident that price hike would happen, no one bothered doing full tank till the time it came in news.

My point - ppl thought of doing full tank only when they came to know that tomorrow the price MAY increase. Not otherwise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks