Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 12:38   #661
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

so one can assume that one has to wait another 5 years atleast for the MEtro and proper road infrastructure to happen!
that means a total of 18 years long wait from the time they started collecting cess!!
even today one doesnt have properly surfaced roads in most parts of bangalore - and the metro project is taking its own sweet time!

ridiculous eh?
Karnataka Politicians are really the worst in the country I must say - we keep laughing at other states - what right have we to do that when our state is in such a terrible mess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Cess story of Bangalore
  • 1995: Introduced as a mass rapid transit system cess on petrol-diesel sold in Bangalore metropolitan area.
  • 1998: Expanded state-wide as infrastructure cess on all products, to cover road construction, Bangalore’s mass rapid transit system and other infrastructure works.
  • 2002: Cess on petrol-diesel removed and merged with sales tax.
  • 2004: Road cess of 10 per cent added.
56.70 is cheap . Bangalore pays 58.88.

To save 200 bucks a month?
Old 5th June 2008, 12:53   #662
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore's taxing criteria never ceases to amaze me!
Highest in everything, from road taxes, cost of fuel... not to forget the rents, deposit amounts for rent (not tax related, but still), blah blah.. it just goes on.
Old 5th June 2008, 12:55   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess I need to look for a job in NCR
Quote:
How did you arrive at the figure of 200 per month? Does he fill only 40 litres a month?
Old 5th June 2008, 12:55   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
56.70 is cheap . Bangalore pays 58.88.

Thanks for the info. But it is not 200 bucks, but nearly 500 bucks, based on 100 litres of petrol for 2 cars and a scooter. This apart, another 200 bucks for better FE due to less congested roads in NCR.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:06   #665
BANNED

Still it works out 200 per car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
How did you arrive at the figure of 200 per month? Does he fill only 40 litres a month?
Quote:
Thanks for the info. But it is not 200 bucks, but nearly 500 bucks, based on 100 litres of petrol for 2 cars and a scooter. This apart, another 200 bucks for better FE due to less congested roads in NCR.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:08   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still it works out 200 per car.
Yes, but you said 200 bucks per month intially - now that you are trying to cover up, its OK
Old 5th June 2008, 13:14   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
so one can assume that one has to wait another 5 years atleast for the MEtro and proper road infrastructure to happen!
that means a total of 18 years long wait from the time they started collecting cess!!
even today one doesnt have properly surfaced roads in most parts of bangalore - and the metro project is taking its own sweet time!

ridiculous eh?
Karnataka Politicians are really the worst in the country I must say - we keep laughing at other states - what right have we to do that when our state is in such a terrible mess!
The thing is that we KNOW that our politicians are worse. Just the roads being bad in some areas in Bengaluru doesn't make the whole state terrible.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:36   #668
BHPian

Quote:
I guess we guys in Hyd pay the highest in the country--it is bloody Rs 56.70, from the earlier 51.10.
Whenever there is a hike, there is yet another hike in A.P. For instance, the hike of Rs 5 should have brought the new rate to Rs 56.10, but it is 56.70! I guess it has something to do with the cess NTR had introduced decades ago.
I guess I need to look for a job in NCR
It's 5Rs hike in delhi, and not 5Rs evenly throught the country.. and Delhi pricing is on the lower side. For most of the other states it's more than 5Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Sonia Gandhi has told Congress run states CMs to cut the taxes to minimize the hit.
I wonder if BJP will take a similar step due to populist needs.
No indication from the TN govt on cutting taxes. Even if congress & it's allies in state govt do not cut taxes, dont expect the BJP led states to do it!!

Price hike is allright. But what is the govt planning to do to help people in saving fuel? Bad roads, traffic jams, Barricades in the middle of the roads. Wah what a way to save fuel!!
And all the while, VIP's will roam freely with their huge "convoys", with cops clearing the roads for them, and we need to bear those expenses too through taxes. Amazing.. What a country!

Last edited by praveen_v : 5th June 2008 at 13:41.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:56   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
By selling low costing fuel at higher price today, pumps would be making a good profit.
A very small one though. Petro companies stop supply of fuels a day before when a hike is due. And if it's a popular petrol pump, it'll usually run out of its stock every 24 hours or so.

Two close friends own Petrol pumps & hence this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
BJP was shedding crocodile tears y'day on the miseries of common man due to fuel price hike!

If they are really sincere about the welfare of a common man, let them atleast in their BJP governed states, reduce the excise & tax on fuels!
Quote:
I wonder if BJP will take a similar step due to populist needs.
They will. Four states have Assembly elections later this year including Rajasthan & the General Elections are duw next year. So every one wants to impress the voters with their populist policies.

Quote:
For example, If I fill up in Delhi I have to drive 5kms(2.5+2.5) and If I will up in Noida I have to drive 2kms.
If I do this fillup from office, its just adds 2 kms to my commute. So I always fill up in Delhi .

If Delhi cuts fuel prices to Haryana levels for Petrol and Punjab levels for Diesel, you will have even more people filling up in Delhi.
Another reason also is better fuel quality in Delhi Tanveer. There is still quite a bit of adulteration of fuel going on in UP.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:10   #670
Senior - BHPian

For Karnataka,
59 percent of the price is tax, cess.

When the PM says they cannot subsidize fuel, who is he kidding ? He is taking more money from consumers and giving less as subsidies to oil companies. The finance ministry just wants to rake in as much as it wants and refuses to part with it for subsidies. The poor consumer faces hardship.
And Sonia wants states to cut taxes and centre doesn't do it. What the h*ll is going on ?

Last edited by srishiva : 5th June 2008 at 14:14.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:41   #671
BANNED

shiva my friend

i agree bangalore and mysore are only microcosmic - however, where do the huge taxes we pay on fuel go to??

Also, try driving around large chunks of kodagu, chikmagalur, hirebile, bhadra,mudigere, arkalgud, mudbidri, gorur, hassan, sakleshpura, kudremukh, nanjangud, gundlupet, etc etc etc and experience the roads and facilities like Power/ Electricity there for yourself.

My dad was a planter in some of these districts and even for agricultural purposes there was no power for days on end - the only way out was to burn valuable diesel and generate one's own power.

Considering this, I think you will find what Im saying is fair

For the Karnataka Politicians, for the last 20 years nothing apart from Bangalore and Mysore are even worth considering - though many people live in Hospet, Gulbarga, Bellery, Hubli, etc etc etc - see some of those places - it is sad that our own countrymen have to live in such conditions.

- just before elections a friend who went to North Karnataka told me that Rahul Gandhi was campaigning in that area from within the controlled climate of a BMW X5. Not only him but practically all our other politicos pretty much do the same dont they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The thing is that we KNOW that our politicians are worse. Just the roads being bad in some areas in Bengaluru doesn't make the whole state terrible.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:42   #672
Team-BHP Support

Went to tankup the scorpio this morning, and i was welcomed by the help, literally. The only other vehicle in sight was a Santro. Almost everybody must have saved 100 bucks odd last night by waiting for an hour odd to tank up.
Apparently there was a major traffic jam around the gas station i go to, this was at 11.30 when my father was returning from town. Ridiculous!!!!
Wonder if any of them saved anything after having to crank every now and then, or having to keep the engine running for that long.

i did tankup all the three cars last time there was a major hike, but did not have to wait for too long.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 5th June 2008 at 14:44.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:52   #673
BANNED

Yo Bro!
You really think our 90 million year old Uncle Jack Frost in Gopal****am is going to bother cutting excise and taxes and so on??

He knows as well as we do that without his blessing, no one can possibly come to power in that part of the world! And he and his henchmen (read next gen offspring) will continue to buzz around wherever they please in their fancy vehicles - caring not a whit for people like us regular joe's!

As far as these policy decisions are concerned there s precious little you and I can do to change them, unless we all do our damnedest to vote each time elections come along.

Till then, and until we all become a little less selfish, we have got to grin and bear it.

It is a just and fair thing that they hiked the Fuel prices in view of the wicked and usurious international crude rates - lets realize and accept that - however, they could definitely bring in parity in pricing across the country by the same logic that all other branded commodities and goods are subject to the MRP laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
No indication from the TN govt on cutting taxes. Even if congress & it's allies in state govt do not cut taxes, dont expect the BJP led states to do it!!

And all the while, VIP's will roam freely with their huge "convoys", with cops clearing the roads for them, and we need to bear those expenses too through taxes. Amazing.. What a country!
Old 5th June 2008, 14:55   #674
BHPian

When the supply of petroleum itself is becoming scarce it is wrong to subsidize it since then people would tend to use it more, thus making it even more scarce.

Our PM said one thoughtful thing yesterday - by subsidizing the current generation we are putting the burden on our future generations. Is that what we want to do?
Old 5th June 2008, 15:13   #675
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
Bangalore takes the crown of highest price in Country.. Petrol is Rs. 58.88/l and diesel is 39.60/l
Anybody know the price in Hosur? Call me cheap if you wish but I try and fill in TN before entering KA when I drive into Bangalore. Its the same fuel, why pay more in Bangalore + I have a very recent fuel bill in TN

Same on the return.

Most Viewed