Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 20:45   #796
BHPian

Absolutely true, no diesel in Blor pumps... had to roam around quite a bit to tank up my friends Indica.

Also received some correspondance from a renouned SEZ developer to cut on using high performance DG's and AHU's and save on electricity.

Old 23rd July 2008, 21:00   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Guys, have a look at this:

California consumes more petrol than India!

California consumes more petrol than India!

And they blame us!!!
Yes i understand.

But its not like India is doing anything to preserve the use of natural resources.

PROOF - US consumes more petrol, but appears to be less polluted. WHY is that?

Also, 1 Billion Indians having more than 1 child has to play a role in destroying india. No one even talks about family planning anymore! Petrol demand will only go up, hence prices UP

1 Billion Indians, and more of them wanting cars - I blame India itself.

Having a CAR is not necessarily a good thing. That is American model, that suits their geography, and they also have infrastructure. Why should India copy American model when it doesnt suit them at all. Look at the mess on road !! Cars are not meant for Indian culture!

Indians should learn from Europe instead of America.
Go to Europe - they have better Public transport, they ride bicylces, are healthier, live longer than americans etc
Old 24th July 2008, 00:40   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Yes i understand.

But its not like India is doing anything to preserve the use of natural resources.

Also, 1 Billion Indians having more than 1 child has to play a role in destroying india. No one even talks about family planning anymore! Petrol demand will only go up, hence prices UP

Having a CAR is not necessarily a good thing. That is American model, that suits their geography, and they also have infrastructure. Why should India copy American model when it doesnt suit them at all. Look at the mess on road !! Cars are not meant for Indian culture!

Go to Europe - they have better Public transport, they ride bicylces, are healthier, live longer than americans etc
eh? which bus did you get down from?

An American has a much larger carbon footprint than an Indian.

Price of fuel going up because of the increase in population? You need to get your perspective right on the global economy.

Cars not meant for Indian Culture? You are in the wrong forum!
Old 24th July 2008, 08:09   #799
rippergeo

We have had it drilled into our heads that population growth is bad since we were in school. that is wrong, and its selfish. if there are more people, we make room for them.
If it wasnt for our huge population, india and china would still be struggling to produce goods and services at economical rates.

why does everyone look at an indian child as one more mouth to feed?
they also have arms and legs and a brain. they will become gainfully employed. they will make a contribution. we have to make sure they get the oppurunity, thats all.
if they consume fuel, so what? its their birthright to live like everyone else and use the energy that nature provides.

america uses more than its fair share, sows death and destruction all over the world in its greed to claim more energy, and ill informed people blame india's poor?????!
the smiley does not express my rage fully.

Old 24th July 2008, 09:35   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
We have had it drilled into our heads that population growth is bad since we were in school. that is wrong, and its selfish. if there are more people, we make room for them.
If it wasnt for our huge population, india and china would still be struggling to produce goods and services at economical rates.

they also have arms and legs and a brain. they will become gainfully employed. they will make a contribution. we have to make sure they get the oppurunity, thats all.
if they consume fuel, so what? its their birthright to live like everyone else and use the energy that nature provides.

america uses more than its fair share, sows death and destruction all over the world in its greed to claim more energy, and ill informed people blame india's poor?????!
the smiley does not express my rage fully.

Heya mate,

What you said is true.
Would suggest not to get worked-up. If you grill down, that thought is there in almost every person.
It is on our (every citizen) hands to make our country a better place to live (though it is a wonderful place already).
**the smiley does not express my rage fully** It is just morning, you have a whole day ahead of you, would suggest not to get en-raged.cheers:.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:54   #801
Senior - BHPian

India is poor? Who said? It is NOT at all a poor country anymore. its just that some people are not getting there share. We have enormous funds (a small sample, 3 crore on the well of Parliment )

Anyway, I agree @ripper. Why is it people blame population. Is China not having population? The only thing I can agree is, US is much bigger than India in geography. The population density is very less. But, take Japan. Are they not coming up? Infact, govt is promoting marriage and child there to increase the younger ones.

This is possible because the Govt. CARES for its citizen by giving good environment, education, medical all at free of cost. Ofcourse they get Tax, but tht is properly used.

And i dont need to say about India in terms of what we get by paying Tax...

Seeing so much of new apartments with power backup, I am sure, the demand is going to be increase at much pace adding to the choas of increasing sale Diesel vehicles.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:11   #802
BHPian

I think by 2015/2020 indian population wont be the same rate what it is now, and we all know that what the rate used to be 15/20 years back compared at present. So with more educated indians population also will come to control.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:52   #803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sir, what has US done? Drive those huge SUVs and mini trucks? That too everyone above 18 years? Everyone has more than one vehicle, one for going to office, one for holidaying, one for this, one for that etc.

And why is it less polluted? Because they follow emission norms strictly. Look at our trcuks, buses, autos, scooters. Even pulsars and apaches for that matter. Atleast Unicorn is Bharat II.

Quote:

Out of the 1 Billion you have mentioned, most people live in villages. The city population is a very small ratio of that. Only that we have more visibility. But it no way means that if someone is using petrol in US, we should save for them so that they can use petrol driven vehicles for a longer time. Not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post

Absolutely right! If we were a well managed and governed nation, we need more people to do jobs for our people only. Can aanyone tell what is the ratio of one policeman and the people? Teachers to population? Doctors, etc etc. We need more people to serve our own people. Thats how an ideal country should work. I guess the Chinese are better than us in this.
Old 24th July 2008, 21:36   #804
BHPian

I don't think we should be surprised to see the relative consumption of India and the US as the per capita availability of virtually every kind of resource (land, oil, food, water) is much higher there. No one denies that the US consumes more than its fair share, but at the same time, everyone's worst nightmare is if everyone in India and China start consuming the same amount of resources, we will run out of them.

As someone said, a person is more than a mouth to feed, he has a hand and leg and brain that can be used to produce wealth. But, our problem is our system, which is structured to keep millions in deliberate illiteracy and poverty rather than contributing to improving our wealth.
Old 24th July 2008, 22:00   #805
BHPian

Quote:

I don't completely disagree with Aerohit... India has opened its economy about 15 years ago and we were bombarded with technology and at a much faster rate than we could develop our infrastructure. US and other developed countries have grown along with an infrastructure that could support such growth. It is relatively easier for a country like ours with a great number of people living in villages to get better public transport. I'm sure there is nothing wrong in that view. It is great to have cars, but we should also have a Govt. with the will to improve and support the infrastructure to match the growth.
Old 25th July 2008, 07:17   #806
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

boys
theres serious shortage of diesel again!
most bunks were out of stock yesterday and day before in bangalore
plus there are huge queues for what stock there is.
its gonna be a tough weekend it seems...
Old 25th July 2008, 09:01   #807
BANNED

Can we please try not to mix up the 2 fuel threads?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-shortage.html
Old 28th July 2008, 17:32   #808

I currently live in Kuwait & normal petrol costs 0.060 Kuwaiti Dinar (INR 9.54) and Super Petrol at 0.065 KD (INR 10.35). Diesel is used only for heavy vehicles here... Guess I'm lucky to drive a BMW 750 here....
Old 28th July 2008, 18:09   #809
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I thought of trying Shell again. The last time I filled it was just before the recent fuel hike. It cost me Rs.57.xx.
Yesterday, there was no normal Shell Petrol. Only Super. I Asked the rate. 71.xx .
Normal was 67.xx.

I started wondering later as to who fills at Shell? I dont think even 1% of the petrol using Population Fills at Shell. I maybe wrong though.
Old 28th July 2008, 18:49   #810
BHPian

Crude price is down in the $120s and falling. Hope this translates to lower prices! Here, in the UK, petrol was £1.19 and Diesel £1.38 last weekend. Thankfully, most retailers like Tesco are offering 5 P off from the day crude prices started dropping.

Most Viewed