Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2008, 12:04   #871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
We used to face this problem as my colleague worked on a US project with calls always in the late evenings. I would drive (even if it was his car we came in that day), while he took the call in the car itself.
Yeah right! Here's another one for you - a guy driviing a Palio 1.2, do you think he'd be comfortable driving a Dicor in the NCR traffic? More important, do you think I'd let him drive mine?

All my evening conf calls are with the US but there is an awful lot of accounting & financial data to be cross referenced during the calls - so too much paper to carry around, easier to refer straight off the system. Hell, I find it inconvenient on the rare days when I take a status call from home, forget about the car. LOL.
Old 14th August 2008, 12:06   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If the sole reason a guy gets delayed in the evenings is due to telecons, can't they be done in the car itself ? Say, the plan is to leave at 7PM in the evening, but one of the guys has a call from 7 - 8PM. Let the other guy do the driving, roll up the windows with a/c on and take the call. What better place than the middle row seats of a DICOR to have a telecon, eh ?

We used to face this problem as my colleague worked on a US project with calls always in the late evenings. I would drive (even if it was his car we came in that day), while he took the call in the car itself.
One more valid reason for the pooling if that telecon is the issue. Hope the signal is too good to be received inside the closed a/c car .
Old 14th August 2008, 12:41   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
So, are we expecting India with lot of automobile brands and sub-brands, but without enough petrol/diesel for average consumption ? Or is it an invitation to go back to the 1970-80s (cycles, bull-o-carts, cycle rikshaws, man-pulled-riks, horses, donkey/cow/bull carts etc.) with more affordable commutation ?

There is enough fuel. It is just mismanagement and pricing for which the motives are not transparent.
Old 14th August 2008, 13:51   #874
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Errrr mate, there are industries other than IT too where timings are erratic you know
suman, what mjothi is saying is -
"car pooling is not ONLY to the IT guys, where the time schedule is erratic"
(I just added a comma where required)

He means "Industry sectors where timings are not erratic are more conducive to introduction of car pooling".

If we want to take company or public transport, we will. Remember school and college days where we had no choice? I maintain - until we can afford it, we will continue to burn money on private transport.

This flexibility thing is funny - when we first make the transition from company / public transport to private transport, flexibility means we can start early from work if required. It slowly starts to mean we can start as late as we want
Old 14th August 2008, 14:46   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
This flexibility thing is funny - when we first make the transition from company / public transport to private transport, flexibility means we can start early from work if required. It slowly starts to mean we can start as late as we want
Right on the point

I find many females availing the van services more than mens. May be because the number of female drivers is less than male? (I don't want a debate on this, just a opinion)
For example, In chennai, I have seen many Mahindra van offering to & fro service on monthly service. So, people working in same area but different offices utilize this. You can see more of this around Mount road, DMS, etc...
This is also one form of pooling (Or should I say Public transport?) to achieve our goal.
Old 14th August 2008, 17:14   #876
Senior - BHPian

Hi anonymous,

> After this hike, the normal diesel is 36 and premium diesel is 38 Rs, where
> earlier the difference between these used to be 50 paisa only. IMHO, this is
> acceptable.

The price of ordinary diesel here is 37.48 whereas the premium one is 40.99. Even I think it is not fair. Previoulsy the difference was around 60 paise.

This is for IOC. The government is turning a blind eye to this.
Old 18th August 2008, 14:30   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
What next? Car thieves steal a car, leave behind the car but not before they drain out all the fuel from it for their usage.
Its already happening benny. The thieves use the car or bike for a day or 2 till the fuel is exhausted & park it & scoot.
Old 19th August 2008, 16:31   #878
BHPian

Downturn in Shell petrol price?

Guys,

Today morning I heard in radio that shell has slash down its petrol prince, is that true?
Did any one checked at shell petrol pump, what's the current price per liter?

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th August 2008 at 18:40. Reason: Search please before opening new thread
Old 19th August 2008, 22:04   #879
Senior - BHPian

Read in TOI today that the Price increase recommendation of petrol and diesel has been rejected by the govt. So thankfully no increase for few months!
Old 19th August 2008, 23:29   #880
Senior - BHPian

no increase atleast for the next 3 months. Since elections are on the plate, no one will dare to do such grave mistakes.
Old 20th August 2008, 10:24   #881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
Guys,
Today morning I heard in radio that shell has slash down its petrol prince, is that true?
Did any one checked at shell petrol pump, what's the current price per liter?
I heard the same as well. Was wondering if anyone visited the Shell bunk after this announcement. Details would be appreciated.
Old 20th August 2008, 10:32   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I heard the same as well. Was wondering if anyone visited the Shell bunk after this announcement. Details would be appreciated.
The price of Petrol was 66.82 and Diesel was 64.72 if my memory serves correct. Dont know if this is the reduced price, as I filled fuel at Shell PAdi today after a long time.
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:25   #883
BANNED

I heard the Radio Indigo ad as well and checked out Shell at Varthur Road, Kundanahalli / Whitefield, Bangalore this evening.

Diesel: 64
Petrol: 66

The government may not bring petrol and diesel prices on par but Shell surely is getting there.
Old 30th August 2008, 18:32   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The price of Petrol was 66.82 and Diesel was 64.72 if my memory serves correct. Dont know if this is the reduced price, as I filled fuel at Shell PAdi today after a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I heard the Radio Indigo ad as well and checked out Shell at Varthur Road, Kundanahalli / Whitefield, Bangalore this evening.

Diesel: 64
Petrol: 66

The government may not bring petrol and diesel prices on par but Shell surely is getting there.
Thanks pypkmsrikanth and hrag for info.

Though shell people are advertising that fuel price has reduced, still this is in upper bracket, compared to HP and BP (extrapremium and speed).
Old 4th September 2008, 13:38   #885
BANNED

On NH4 out of Bangalore, near Hosakote (don't remember where exactly now) I saw an IOC bunk which had a banner saying "Low price petrol now 56.80". Will check it out the next time and post exact co-ordinates.

Note: somewhere between the Whitefield turn off and Volvo factory, IIRC. For reference, unleaded petrol is 57.17 in Bangalore.

Last edited by hrag : 4th September 2008 at 13:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks