Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Civic Vs Altis. Which car, which version?
Civic 1.8E MT 27 5.08%
Altis 1.8G MT 60 11.30%
Civic 1.8V MT 136 25.61%
Altis 1.8GL MT 137 25.80%
Civic 1.8V AT 93 17.51%
Altis 1.8VL AT 78 14.69%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2008, 20:09   #166
Senior - BHPian

Just a fyi, we already have one civic engine replaced on this forum.
Also, in comparison the Toyota engines are equally good and are proven good in all markets.
Civic Vs Corolla is a matter of personal taste and what one is looking for (read features) while buying the car. It also matters on what are you willing to compromise if you d ecide to go for the other.
Old 25th October 2008, 14:13   #167
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I don't follow this statement about reving. What made to feel that Altis doesn't like to get rev'd.
Well, some engines are simply built to be revv-happier than the others. It's difficult to put it in words. I will give it a shot anyways:

- How freely / willingly it climbs up to the redline.

- Lack of strain (OHC Vtec is a prime example) in the red zone

- Lack of refinement / coarseness (The Altis feels a little coarse @ high rpms compared to the Civic)
Old 27th October 2008, 13:07   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lack of refinement / coarseness (The Altis feels a little coarse @ high rpms compared to the Civic)
About the course feel, I’d like to know were you in a manual Altis or an AT. I have one observation about manual. May be this could explain the reason behind the coarse feel.

I have observed that Altis reaches the red line real fast. Faster than I thought. You hit the paddle and both needles just zooms and in seconds before you know it is high raving, one has to be real-real quick in gear change while full accelerating. I feel that the car reaches its maximum gear speed quickly and waits for the driver to change gear (we are talking in seconds or fractions of seconds).

May be for first few drives you feel this (as it is very different from Civic or many other cars) but as one get used to the demands and character of this car then only you will get maximum results.

This car is demands its driver to be faster, and I like that.
Old 27th October 2008, 14:20   #169
Senior - BHPian

Altis's are all over the place! Yesterday, between 7 to 10PM I saw 6 Altis's in Navi Mumbai!
Old 27th October 2008, 20:13   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
About the course feel, I’d like to know were you in a manual Altis or an AT. I have one observation about manual. May be this could explain the reason behind the coarse feel.

I have observed that Altis reaches the red line real fast. Faster than I thought. You hit the paddle and both needles just zooms and in seconds before you know it is high raving, one has to be real-real quick in gear change while full accelerating. I feel that the car reaches its maximum gear speed quickly and waits for the driver to change gear (we are talking in seconds or fractions of seconds).

May be for first few drives you feel this (as it is very different from Civic or many other cars) but as one get used to the demands and character of this car then only you will get maximum results.

This car is demands its driver to be faster, and I like that.
This is what I felt too. I felt Altis more faster than Civic. May be the better low end torque makes this difference.
Old 27th October 2008, 23:22   #171
BHPian

Seems like civic 1.8V MT is catching up fast with the Altis 1.8GL on the poll.

Also, to add, reading the oct 08 ACI, i remember they stressed a lot that altis's aggressive rpm limiter makes it slower to civic and the current altis is even slower than the outgoing corolla but altis is more responsive at lower speeds.

@Ym-enjn
seems like you are kinda bowled by altis, you are pretty much impressed with the car, you might be right on the rpm increasing too quickly on altis , but GTO saying different thing and even i tend to agree with him that altis's engine is a bit coarse on high rpms as compared to civic. It was a bit noisier too inside the cabin at high rpms , but those powered seats are amazing and I guess no other car under 15 lac has this feature.

After having test drive of both the cars , i personally rated them on various factors

1. Exteriors - Both are good looking cars , it depends upon personal taste, altis's 2 red lights on back bumper spoilt the back , civic's headlight give more upmarket feel. I feel civic is slightly better, as altis's panel gaps are big when considering it to be 13lac+ car.

2. Interiors - The moment I entered Altis, It was YUCK... i dont want to be offensive but civic is light years ahead in terms of quality and design of interiors.

3. Response - At lower speeds, Altis is super as compared to Civic , even both appeared to be more or the less equally quick , though ACI tells , Civic's 0-100, 9.59sec and altis's 10.42, both seemed to be good , I dont think so , we all just define good engine by 0-100 figures . But civic's engine was super silent as compared to altis' , it was far more noisier than civic.

4. Features - Altis whipes civic like anything, those powered seats were simply amazing , as this was the first time that I experienced them, trip computer on the car's instrument cluster was increasing the car's standard.

If I was to chose between two of them, I would have considered b/w 1.8V MT and 1.8GL , it would have really hard but seeing the price , I think it altis costs marginally high than civic 1.8V, and since for me quality of interiors matter the most and at the same time, I don't change my seat's position every now and then so powered seats is only a fun thing for me than a utility, so I would have gone for civic 1.8V

Last edited by inferno : 27th October 2008 at 23:25.
Old 27th October 2008, 23:29   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
This is what I felt too. I felt Altis more faster than Civic. May be the better low end torque makes this difference.
yeah , you are absolutely right , the lower end torque make up believe many cars to be faster though they are not.

I've even met people who think octavia diesel is faster than civic !! The wrong notion arises due to 22 kgm torque of octavia and 17.5 of civic's !

( I'm telling stats by my memory , so I might be wrong but im sure octavia's torque is more than civic's by atleast 4 kgm )
Old 28th October 2008, 12:15   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, some engines are simply built to be revv-happier than the others. It's difficult to put it in words. I will give it a shot anyways:

- How freely / willingly it climbs up to the redline.

- Lack of strain (OHC Vtec is a prime example) in the red zone

- Lack of refinement / coarseness (The Altis feels a little coarse @ high rpms compared to the Civic)
GTO,
I know my Civic is rev happy and have hit the redline twice/thrice. Is it ok to rev it like that? Any thing could go wrong?

I agree with GTO that Civic is quite happy and willing to get redlined.
Old 28th October 2008, 16:00   #174
Senior - BHPian

There's no problem redlining the Civic, unless you hold on to the redline for a sustained period of time. I keep hitting the redline or close to it many a time.
Old 28th October 2008, 21:28   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
About the course feel, I’d like to know were you in a manual Altis or an AT.
Both. The tranny had nothing to do with the engine not feeling as revv-happy as the Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
GTO,
I know my Civic is rev happy and have hit the redline twice/thrice. Is it ok to rev it like that? Any thing could go wrong?

I agree with GTO that Civic is quite happy and willing to get redlined.
Not at all. Hondas are built to high-revv. Only ensure that the engine has sufficiently warmed up before taking her to the redline. And stick to the oil change schedule.
Old 28th October 2008, 21:36   #176
Senior - BHPian

Ooops, wrong topic. Please delete this post.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 28th October 2008 at 21:39.
Old 29th October 2008, 10:44   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
Seems like civic 1.8V MT is catching up fast with the Altis 1.8GL on the poll.

If I was to chose between two of them, I would have considered b/w 1.8V MT and 1.8GL , it would have really hard but seeing the price , I think it altis costs marginally high than civic 1.8V, and since for me quality of interiors matter the most and at the same time, I don't change my seat's position every now and then so powered seats is only a fun thing for me than a utility, so I would have gone for civic 1.8V
Inferno....you forgot to compare one of the most important factor in today's times which is FE. Altis surpasses the Civic by far when it comes to FE, revv happy or not. I never redline my car's engine as it is definitely not very good to do that which is why I am least bothered if the Civic is more eager to be pushed to the redline than the Altis.

Also, the sitting position in the Civic is quite low which is a major reason why I am personally not very comfortable in its cabin. The Altis in my view has a better sitting position.

Anyway, it seems the Civic has won over the Altis on this poll as I write. This actually reflects the true nature of both the cars....the initial surge on this poll gave Altis a good lead but as the poll progressed, Civic has not overtaken the Altis. For me, the Altis will always have the understated executive elegance compared to the Civic which is more of a boy racer's machine I think.

Last edited by samirsarkar : 29th October 2008 at 10:52.
Old 29th October 2008, 12:39   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
Inferno....you forgot to compare one of the most important factor in today's times which is FE. Altis surpasses the Civic by far when it comes to FE, revv happy or not. I never redline my car's engine as it is definitely not very good to do that which is why I am least bothered if the Civic is more eager to be pushed to the redline than the Altis.

Also, the sitting position in the Civic is quite low which is a major reason why I am personally not very comfortable in its cabin. The Altis in my view has a better sitting position.

Anyway, it seems the Civic has won over the Altis on this poll as I write. This actually reflects the true nature of both the cars....the initial surge on this poll gave Altis a good lead but as the poll progressed, Civic has not overtaken the Altis. For me, the Altis will always have the understated executive elegance compared to the Civic which is more of a boy racer's machine I think.

Very well said, even I would agree to the last line.

Yeah , FE is a very big criterion for many including me when I bought City iDSI 3 years back, so altis beating civic in this domain would make sure the it leads in the sales charts too.

Even, i dont redline my car now and then and i said the same in my review that I dont like civic for its faster 0 to 100 figure but because its more silent and refined as compared to altis and at the same time interiors are a big letdown in altis, I wish its dashboard was better.

And also explain me the line in bold.

Also to add, I think comparing model-wise to my personal opinion.

Altis 1.8G beats the hell down Civic 1.8E MT
Civic 1.8V MT beats marginally Altis 1.8GL
Civic 1.8V AT beats Altis 1.8VL by a big margin, mainly because of its futuristic paddle shift.

Also ,in the end I would say both are amazing cars from stable of 2 most reliable car makes honda and toyota, difference in these 2 cars is not big to declare any one of them to be clear-cut winner, so this debate would continue to eternity as in the end its personal taste also which comes into picture.

Last edited by inferno : 29th October 2008 at 12:48.
Old 29th October 2008, 12:44   #179
BHPian

I like the looks of Altis on road and love the products from toyota. But here it is against comparison with a car which has excellent exteriors as well as interiors. The Altis's interiors could have been better.
Old 29th October 2008, 12:58   #180
BHPian

Btw, before anyone calls me a Civic hater, let me tell you that if I were to compare only the automatic models in this segment from Honda and Toyota, I would prefer the former any day. What on earth was Toyota thinking so as to provide us with a 4-speed auto box when most or all modern auto boxes in cars of this segment are either 5 or 6 speed ones ?? . And yes, the paddle shift in the Civic is a lovely feature found only in cars of higher segments.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks