Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Civic Vs Altis. Which car, which version?
Civic 1.8E MT 27 5.08%
Altis 1.8G MT 60 11.30%
Civic 1.8V MT 136 25.61%
Altis 1.8GL MT 137 25.80%
Civic 1.8V AT 93 17.51%
Altis 1.8VL AT 78 14.69%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2008, 20:01   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hey buddy, i am not very sure of the altis but pls dont rely entirely upon the on board meter (real time fuel meter as some call it) to check your fuel efficiency. they are not the most accurate. do a personal check yourself by the traditional method and do inform us the accuracy of the altis's meter.
Believe me its so much in control.. You've got to drive it to know the accurecy of this thing. Hit for fast accelaration and the current average drops to 3 or 5 whereas drive constant at 45- 50 kmph in 5th gear and the current average climbs to 24 to 30kmpl. On slope it goes to 99.9

The photo above is overall average not current average. I will give info of my actual observation also when I refill again.
Old 30th October 2008, 23:58   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Believe me its so much in control.. You've got to drive it to know the accurecy of this thing. Hit for fast accelaration and the current average drops to 3 or 5 whereas drive constant at 45- 50 kmph in 5th gear and the current average climbs to 24 to 30kmpl. On slope it goes to 99.9

The photo above is overall average not current average. I will give info of my actual observation also when I refill again.
i understood that its overall/mean average buddy. i had such a trip computer in my old astra club.
u mean driving a corolla altis at 45-50 kmph in 5th will give 30 kmpl?? how is that possible?
Old 15th November 2008, 13:41   #198
Senior - BHPian

First refill done and my Altis manual gave 11.5 kmpl.
Old 16th November 2008, 22:40   #199
oss
BHPian

Between Civic-MT and Altis-MT, which one is better in the stop-go city traffic? Heard people complaining about the lack of low end torque in Civic?

Is it true to the point that it is noticeable in heavy traffic?
Old 17th November 2008, 00:37   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Between Civic-MT and Altis-MT, which one is better in the stop-go city traffic? Heard people complaining about the lack of low end torque in Civic?

Civic at low speeds is akin to running Vista on a low end hardware. It looks good - but you get the feeling of sitting on a slug.
Old 17th November 2008, 08:27   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post
Civic at low speeds is akin to running Vista on a low end hardware. It looks good - but you get the feeling of sitting on a slug.
Depends on the driver. Get used to your machine, you will always make it work the way you want.

Guys saying Civic is bad at low rpm, low GC etc., have you ever driven it for around 20K all by yourself? Once or twice a scraped bottom, and a low end performance because your style is not what she wants - does that has to be blown too much out of proportion.

Altis is good in her own rights, but are any Civicers saying it is bad? If it is about a comparison, this is what VTEC asia said about it.

"
During the launch of the new Civic, it was clear that Honda is quite proud of what they have managed to achieve with the new R18A engine for the new 8G Civic. What should now be clear from this article? Remember that 140ps max power output from a 1.8l engine can rightfully be considered 'very high spec', ignoring the standards set by Honda themselves with the original B18C engines. This can be supported if we compare the R18A output with those from competitors including 'high specification' twin-cam engines of similar size. For e.g. the 1.8l DOHC Twin-Spark engine used in the Alfa Romeos are delivering 140ps as are the 1.8l DOHC EFi engines used in the local (Malaysian made) hot-hatches like the Proton Satria GTi and Proton Putra. This is also comparable to the 1.8l Toyota Altis (138ps) and superior to the 1.8l Nissan Sentra (130ps).
Coupled with potentially exceptional fuel economy (for a 1.8l engine) and specific characteristics targeted to please long time Honda enthusiasts, it is clear how technically advanced the new R18A engine is.
"

Now if we really wnt to make a point lets state that with facts and not feelings.

Civic comparison to a verna - prove the point, without data I have my right to reject the claim.
Old 17th November 2008, 08:47   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post

By any means, civic's low end torque is not that low !! Don't u think you taking it to an extreme just to prove a point ? I know, its low end torque is not as good as altis's but this low !!!!!

And if you seriously so fond of low end torque then why not go for an Octavia Tdi or Verna for instance as diesel cars are lot more torquey.

I've driven both of them and, low end torque of civic is lower but it doesnt make it hard to drive in city traffic ! yeah, altis is more easier in city drive.

Coming to mids and high, civic just brashes altis, the tacho needle of civic just flies as we push the paddles and doesnt feel strained at all.
And best part is that, it isnt coarse and noisy as toyota.

Even, i would agree that we dont drive at 4k rpm in general commutes, but still altis's low end toque is not that enough to make me say that its engine is better than civic's !
Old 17th November 2008, 09:58   #203
BHPian

Recently I drove both. I found Altis better compared to Civic. I always loved cars those are easy to get-in and get-out. I found Civic very low and the skirts are too low for South Indian roads. The ride quality is better in Civic. But if given a choice, I would choose Altis. It has better roomy interiors and nice visibility. The cabin is also very silent.
Old 17th November 2008, 15:24   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
The ride quality is better in Civic. But if given a choice, I would choose Altis. It has better roomy interiors and nice visibility. The cabin is also very silent.
Cant agree with you on the ride part. Corolla Altis comprehensively outrides (for the want of a better term) the Civic by far.
Old 17th November 2008, 17:05   #205
Senior - BHPian

Tyre noise does filter in to the cabin in the Civic. I'm not sure about the low end torque either, though I drive an AT, so I can potter around or rip based on road and mood.

Altis comes with a host of features, sadly missing in the Civic.
Old 17th November 2008, 18:48   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post

If you are thinking of buying Civic at this time then i would strongly suggest you to not. See the falling sales chart of Civic. Honda would be most concerned about that and will soon offer a better Civic for the market.

Can't say about the torque (because I do not understand about much), the electric power steering of Altis is a blessing in high density traffic. You won't like any other car and Civic eats peanuts in this respect. The cabin inside is so quite, and the Auto climate control AC. Its a true Climate control not just an Auto AC. Electric seat also gives you a lot of exciting positions. I love to take it lowest to drive on open roads and take it higher in hi traffic. Simply miles ahead of this Civic.
Old 17th November 2008, 19:19   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Electric seat also gives you a lot of exciting positions..
like what?
Old 17th November 2008, 19:28   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
like what?
Not tested in that sense, yet!!
Old 17th November 2008, 19:45   #209
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Civic by mistake. My vote was supposed to be for Altis 1.8GL MT.
Old 17th November 2008, 19:58   #210
Team-BHP Support

honestly. as much i would recommend the altis to most people just for VFM. i would end up buying the civic given a choice because i love the interiors and it seems way more sporty and has lots of options to mod. and it would be a manual not an auto. this is my view as a kid. an elder persons view is obviously gonna be different.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks