Team-BHP - Renault Logan
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Renault Logan (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/4538-renault-logan.html)

As you all might be aware Renault is going to launch the Logan here by the end of this year. I had the opportunity to assist the whole Renault design team over this last week when they came down to India. The good news for us is that Renault plans to set up a DESIGN STUDIO in mumbai surely would be the first to set up such a studio hat would do experimental work like the Renault Fluence. The chief of Renault design had come down too, he supposedly is one of the most influential people in the auto design field. Got to learn quite a few interesting things. I dunno if all of you are aware but renault and Nissan have nearly the same design team and they often exchange staff. The latest entrant to the renault design team is Ajay Panchal of the 350Z fame. Sheesh just a few days with that team and gives design a whole new perspective. I got hold of a book on the design of the Renault Fluence. Its an amazing design. Actually even the Logan although not something you would term attractive but is very utilitarian in its design. Amazing amounts of space on the inside, a boot to match that of a 5series, good ground clearance, good mileage etc and the price they say will be its ace

check the car out guys most of u'll must have already seen it in the od and aci mags.
i somehow didnt like it too much.
looks like a direct competitor to the esteem and the indigo only.all the other cars like the ikon,siena corsa etc seem a class bigger than the logan.
its comin in 2 engine options in the beginning
1)1.4 litre 75 bhp (top speed 162 kmph)
2)1.6 litre 90 bhp (top speed 175 kmph)
the 1.5 litre 65 bhp t.d will arrive later.
lets get to the main thing.....
the 90 bhp version should have the same top speed as the ikon wheras the acceleration should be slightly better due to the smaller exterior dimensions and lesser kerb weight.
same can be said bout the avg
but the power figures r of the versions abroad...our desi version would be detuned so expect some power loss.
we'll just have to wait and find out how good it really is once its launched.......
hope u find the info interesting guys.........

Main reason why it looks dull is that Renault have engineered it for low cost of production. Note fewer curves means cheaper dies and windscreens etc. Also car designed to be built and welded on a jig using manual labour as opposed to robots

Honestly speaking, This is the 1st time i've seen the logan and it looks so much better than some of renault's line-up in Europe. Just have a look at this Modus which was launched last year with huge publicity.

http://img212.exs.cx/img212/6508/modus16vh.jpg

http://img212.exs.cx/img212/6905/modus28xj.jpg

guys, please remember that this car costs very little. They had to refrain from complicated surfaces when designing it to keep the costs down( it has an entirely flat windscreen), which is why it looks so dull.
And they had to use existing parts wherever possible, which further dulls it.

Quote:

Renault is going to launch the Logan here by the end of this year
M&M are gonna make the car here but i read in the papers that the car will be avaliable only from 2006?

Logans were originally made in Romania as the Dacia where it was quite common to have to drive back to the dealer's to put a door back on its hinges after having bought it.

I believe the quality is better nowadays, though.

Doesnt look very different in profile from the Indigo/Petra/NHC - the concept is similar.

Steer

Does'nt looks all that attractive,neither is the engine layout impressive enough.
But it all depends on the pricing bracket,and also the FE which will play an important part as it is Renault's first car here and not many people are familiar with the brand.
Renault(C segment) will need a conviction like Skoda(D segment) to impress the Indian mindset.If they get it all right,then its bye-bye to the last batch of Esteem buyers too.

X

if they can keep the price below 4 lakhs..it would mean lot of competition to b and c segment cars.
y would somone buy zen, santro when they can get a lambi gaadi in same price?
also y would ppl spend 1-2 lakhs more to get another lambi gaadi(ikon, accent etc).

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit
M&M are gonna make the car here but i read in the papers that the car will be avaliable only from 2006?

Yes Amit, the car will be available from late 2006. First 50 % of the components will be local (made in India :D ) and then after some 60-70 % of the components will be made locally.

The Logan is supposed to be Renault's $6000 dollar car. And if they can manufacture it in India with high localisation they can get the price down further. Imagine, an Indigo competitor for three lakhs! If they can bring this out at the right price, it could be a market beater.

Hey Amogh,

Thanks for the insider news! As you mentioned, it must surely have been an eyeopener working with that design team.

Whatever has been spoken about the Logan so far, it appears that the car is going to be the first from an International manufacturer to target the sub-5 lac budget sedan bracket right from launch. Dont count in the outdated Esteem and the Ikon which was originally offered with a pathetic push rod while there was another meatier 7 lac josh variant.

But I honestly have my doubts if they could get the costing right to price this car at the numbers that the press has been speaking about.

GTO

yeah the car looks like a plain jane and it will be available in 2007.

thats 2 years more and if they launch this car....all the best M&M

maybe i might be proved wrong but as of now i dont think launching this car in 2007 makes sense !

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Hey Amogh,
But I honestly have my doubts if they could get the costing right to price this car at the numbers that the press has been speaking about.
GTO

True, especially if one considers the excise duty and sales tax add-on to the manufacturer's cost+margins.

However, one should hope for the best as competition is always good for the market. 2007 may be a bit too late as the goalposts would've moved further by then - one would expect Fiat, Tata and perhaps Suzuki offering common rail engines in this segment, as gas should cost about Rs.55 to a litre by then if the current trend continues.

Dont forget Toyota - they've got a whole lot of Daihatsus and the perfect-for-this-segment Echo up their sleeve.

Likely competition for the the Logan? Suzuki Liana, Chevrolet Aveo, revised Indigo, Petra if it is still around, and an Ikon replacement/enhancement that Ford should be considering at least now.

More time to market means more competition.

Steer

Looks decent. But let us see if M&M can pull it off.