Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 09:33   #436
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

the latest overdrive and autocar have snippets about the upcoming diesel SX4 along with the report on Kizashi as well as the new Swift.

The UK spec Swift comes with bigger wheels/tyres as well as a bigger engine 1242 cc. Here on account of the 1200 cc rule our Swift will come with the 1197 cc engine.

As long as our government gives benefits for smaller engine capacities and shorter cars, I guess we wont get to see the same variants as other countries. Fact also is, that it is only a small minority who are willing to pay a sizeable premium for such a performance oriented kind of vehicle.

The new SX4 they say is coming in at a premium of only Rs 10000/- compared with the petrol one - this will be a huge selling point for Maruti. Coupled with its excellent network and inexpensive maintenance in general + strong value, this will be well worth buying if one wants a nice Diesel with high GC and a reasonably good looking car. My only concern if at all would be whether the same old 1.3 multijet diesel which is sitting in the Swift and the Dzire, will be able to handle the extra weight of the SX4 without losing juice.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th January 2011 at 09:36.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:58   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

The new SX4 they say is coming in at a premium of only Rs 10000/- compared with the petrol one - this will be a huge selling point for Maruti. Coupled with its excellent network and inexpensive maintenance in general + strong value, this will be well worth buying if one wants a nice Diesel with high GC and a reasonably good looking car. My only concern if at all would be whether the same old 1.3 multijet diesel which is sitting in the Swift and the Dzire, will be able to handle the extra weight of the SX4 without losing juice.
I guess you might have read this in Autocar ! This is not correct - there is a post in the previous page that the premium will be around 70,000 over petrol !
Old 28th January 2011, 15:57   #438
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

yes i did read it in autocar
but I seem to remember someone had posted similar info on this thread itself a couple of pages ago - a link or quote from some other newspaper or magazine snippet which says the same thing - premium of 10k over the petrol. It certainly seems quite impossible I agree. 70k premium seems much nearer the mark.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess you might have read this in Autocar ! This is not correct - there is a post in the previous page that the premium will be around 70,000 over petrol !
Old 29th January 2011, 12:41   #439
BHPian

Weather the launch date has been finalized and whats the date. I have been inquiring with the delears in couple of cities but no on has any idea of sx4 diesel being on offer much less the launch dates.
Old 29th January 2011, 13:42   #440
Senior - BHPian

SX4 diesel sounds good. It will definitely boosts up the sales of this model. After diesel the SX4 would be available in three variants - petrol, CNG, and diesel.

BTW - when we can expect it to hit the roads?
Old 29th January 2011, 17:22   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Weather the launch date has been finalized and whats the date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
BTW - when we can expect it to hit the roads?
21/02/2011.

And regarding driving, it will be similar to Linea diesel as the power to weight ratio is the same as Linea diesel. New Verna with 128ps, and Vento with 105bhp diesels are going to be a totally different ball-game though!
Old 30th January 2011, 12:00   #442
BHPian

You guys are absolutely spot on, quite a few auto magazines have confirmed the arrival of SX4 diesel in the second half of Feb 2011. Its going to use the fiat sourced MJD 90hp which is used by Linea as well. Maruti also says that this engine will be 70 kg lighter in comparison to its rivals. Hope this is useful.
Old 30th January 2011, 14:58   #443
BHPian

I was just browsing the Maruti website and going through the tech specs for the SX4. The website shows the ground clearence for the green and vxi variants as 170 mm and for the zxi variants as 180 mm.
Earlier the ground clearence for the vxi was 180 mm and for the zxi variant was 190 mm the difference being due to difference in tyre sizes.
can some through some light on the changes in ground clearence figures and why lesser ground clearence after the face lift version.
In fact I wanted to buy the sx4 diesel for its sheer ground clearence but if the ground clearence is less and at par with other cars such as volkswagen vento and verna we can always prefer the others over the sx4.

Please through some light on the issue.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:37   #444
Senior - BHPian

According to indianautosblog , MSIL is going to launch SX4 diesel on 18/19th of february
Old 31st January 2011, 14:00   #445
BHPian

I was recently at my M.A.S.S, the workshop manager told that SX4 diesel is 90bhp, he didn't confirm that whether its a new engine or the Swift FGT 1.3 tweaked to pump out 90 bhp. Slightly OT : He also confirmed Suzuki Kizashi would be priced around 16 Lakhs. His engineers/technicians were recently in Gurgaon for training and they confirmed that the interior quality is something they have never seen in any Maruti stable vehicle
Old 31st January 2011, 14:34   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
21/02/2011.

And regarding driving, it will be similar to Linea diesel as the power to weight ratio is the same as Linea diesel. New Verna with 128ps, and Vento with 105bhp diesels are going to be a totally different ball-game though!
If the ACI news is to be believed, SX4 VDI will be 1.1 ton which makes it 84 ps per ton. This is much more than Linea which was 71 ps per ton for the 86 ps or 76 per ton for the 93 ps one (1.21 ton). Moreover I bet Maruti will have better gear ratio than FIAT. If 3rd gear can comfortably take till 100 (i.e. about 115 Kmph max in third gear something like that), then I'm expecting SX4 VDI to reach 0-100 in less than 13 sec!! After all Swift with 75 ps (i.e. 70 ps per ton) does 0-100 in less than 14 sec.
Old 31st January 2011, 15:00   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
If the ACI news is to be believed, SX4 VDI will be 1.1 ton which makes it 84 ps per ton. This is much more than Linea which was 71 ps per ton for the 86 ps or 76 per ton for the 93 ps one (1.21 ton). Moreover I bet Maruti will have better gear ratio than FIAT. If 3rd gear can comfortably take till 100 (i.e. about 115 Kmph max in third gear something like that), then I'm expecting SX4 VDI to reach 0-100 in less than 13 sec!! After all Swift with 75 ps (i.e. 70 ps per ton) does 0-100 in less than 14 sec.
Any maruti car should be easily lighter than the Fiats given that Fiat is always bulit tank like and Maruti's like feather ! So the accelaration should be decent and I strongly agree with you on the gear ratios. Maruti does good tweaking on the gear ratios.
Old 31st January 2011, 16:21   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
Any maruti car should be easily lighter than the Fiats given that Fiat is always bulit tank like and Maruti's like feather !
While the Fiats still are heavier, the margin has come down to negligible levels with the latest Marutis. To give an example and to put things in context, the humble A-Star hatch weighs the same as the Toyota Etios sedan. A-Star ranges from 860-895kgs, while Etios is 900-930kg. Gives an indication of who is the tank and who the feather.

Personally, I prefer the lighter Marutis from pre-Swift era, which is one reason I never liked the SX4 which weighs in at a hefty 1200kgs. I am not driving a battering ram and would rather have the advantages provided by less flab in performance and efficiency. Given the Etios design, looks like while MSIL are moving away from their low-weight design, Toyota is using the same to their advantage.

The 'feather' part now applies only to the M800, Alto etc. But then what competition do we have in the A-segment other than maybe the Nano ?
Old 31st January 2011, 16:44   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
While the Fiats still are heavier, the margin has come down to negligible levels with the latest Marutis. To give an example and to put things in context, the humble A-Star hatch weighs the same as the Toyota Etios sedan. A-Star ranges from 860-895kgs, while Etios is 900-930kg. Gives an indication of who is the tank and who the feather.
I think you should not compare Etios to any of the cars available in the market - It will easily wins hands down ! But then If Maruti cars are getting heavier, i would prefer that - since it gives a sense of security! I get damn scared seeing the accident pics of some Maruti cars where you cant even recognize the car!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 31st January 2011 at 16:46.
Old 2nd February 2011, 00:57   #450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Any maruti car should be easily lighter than the Fiats given that Fiat is always bulit tank like and Maruti's like feather !
Fiat Linea Petrol (Not T-Jet)- 1180 kg.
Maruti SX4- 1200 kg. (VXi- 1170kg).

You forgot SX4 is half suzuki, half FIAT?

@opendro: Unless they take all the seats out, i dont think they'll be able to make the diesel weigh 1.1 ton, when the petrol ZXi itself weighs 1.2 tons! Dont take these magazines too seriously!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed