Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2011, 23:33   #556
BHPian

Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards? Update: Pics on Pg 33

With malice towards none, and casting aspersions on no one, I find many of our so-called auto enthusiasts quite akin to the billion-or-so cricket aficionados - everybody has an opinion and everybody knows there's a problem. Unless of course it's the player, or car that they root for!

I've desisted from joining the various new-gen vehicle discussions. Sometimes it's been very difficult to do so, believe you me.

Anyway, without becoming an armchair critic myself (which I fear I'm beginning to sound like) here's a humble submission (and then I'm outta here again - quite conveniently some may say!!).

I assume the SX4 will certainly not weigh more than 1230 kg, which is the Linea's weight. In its petrol ZXi guise the SX4 weighs in at about 1210 kg. Given that it's 1248cc diesel engine may weigh the same as it's 1586 cc petrol engine, if not less actually, the heaviest diesel SX4 (ZXi) should not weigh more than 1210 kg as well. If various media reports (speculation, or real info that time shall tell) are to be believed it'll be 70kg lighter than the Linea that weighs 1230 kg - so going by that the SX4 Zxi should be weighing around 1160 kg. However, I shall hedge the margin of error on the higher side and peg the diesel SX4 ZXi also at 1230 kgs.

The Fiat MJD (Maruti's DDiS or whatever) with a VGT, and the existing map gives 90bhp, and the torque varies from 20.7kgm in the Linea to 21.3kgm in the Punto 90HP. In the Tata Manza the numbers are 89bhp and 20.4kgm. So we'll assume the SX4's stats to be 90bhp (as that's what's being bandied, and it's not that ambitious over 89) and 20.4kgm (approx 0.9 less than the Punto 90HP since that's how the 1.3FGT has been tuned in the Swift/DZire vis-a-vis the 75bhp Punto).

Now, this is where the fun begins (for all us paper tigers at least).

The Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi produces 90bhp and 21.41kgm of torque and it weighs 1330kg. The SX4 ZXi DDiS, as I've deduced above, should be making 90bhp and 20.4kgm at a full 100kg less weight. So, the power-to-weight on paper should be a no-brainer.

I haven't heard anybody call the Octy TDi underpowered (kindly don't bring in the VRS here, since we'll stay with the same fruit family!!). Of course, real-life road behaviour may provide two very different experiences between two comparable machines, due to differences in turbo-spooling, gearing, the rolling dia of the wheels, ride and handling (including the steering characteristics) etc. So, all I can say is go drive the car and then decide for yourself. And before passing your final judgement after driving it too, make sure that you have acquainted yourself with the vehicle,s system, so that you can exploit it's characteristics that suit different moods of the driver, by using it's gearing and handling optimally!

I drive a Punto 1.3MJD 75bhp, and never have I found myself unable to keep pace with an occasional boy-racer! On the straights of NE1 between Ahmedabad and Baroda, an occasional spec on the rear-view does get bigger rapidly, and then blows me to the weeds but not too often. I guess, primarily because I seldom race anyway, whether in the city or the highway; somehow, I also seem to reach the destination ahead of most of the other drivers. I'm a sedate oldie who now wants to stretch every drop of juice at his disposal over a longer distance and one who then likes to hug the curves at 80!!

Last edited by Prabal : 10th February 2011 at 23:42.
Old 11th February 2011, 00:51   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Anyway, without becoming an armchair critic myself (which I fear I'm beginning to sound like) here's a humble submission (and then I'm outta here again - quite conveniently some may say!!).
Oh well, we all take turns at being one

To what you said - why go as far as the Octy, take the Fiesta TCDi. On papers, is pretty under powered. Not even 70 BHP. But see how it moves, in city as well as in short highway runs? It can do 120KMPH without breaking a sweat, can't it? And hey, why leave the Corolla D4D alone?!!

The SX4 Diesel will be a good city runner - Maruti has proved they can make the same 1.3 FGT engine behave better in the Swift than in the Punto, I expect no less from the SX4. The SX4 will also be good at least till 120 - 130 KMPH, as well as in in-gear acceleration. What it will not be, is a road scorcher - we don't have any Diesel this side of 10 lakhs that is one (Verna can be, but for the handling).
Old 11th February 2011, 01:05   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Re- the link to Motor Beam - check out the 3rd pic - some duffer seems to have revved the diesel motor to 5,000 rpm with the temp indicator still at 'C' and the the fuel level showing 'E'
It was in neutral gear. So, it should be comparatively okay.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:10   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Re- the link to Motor Beam - check out the 3rd pic - some duffer seems to have revved the diesel motor to 5,000 rpm with the temp indicator still at 'C' and the the fuel level showing 'E'
I don't want to go in much details, but the gentleman is a professional tester and works for a reputed magazine. This is his personal blog.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:27   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
guys..
The odo reading on the car was 5kms and yeah it is the same car that has been booked by my dad. Will get a proper TD tomorrow or tonight once the demo vehicle is ready later at night.

Psbali are you done with the proper TD? Please share your experience.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:50   #561
BHPian

I wonder why MS does not upgrade the DIS in their SX4. All the competing companies give a lot of information whereas DIS in SX4 is just odometer, tripmeter, outside temp and time. I am sure it's not much an effort to upgrade given the price point at which it is offered. Even small things like illuminated power window switches are not provided. No rear AC vents. The build quality too is not great and there have been many people complaining of rattles. I think people buy the car only 'cause it's Maruti even if it highly feature deficient.
Old 11th February 2011, 13:54   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
It was in neutral gear. So, it should be comparatively okay.
Not at all. Revving a modern Diesel to red line is bad anytime, any day - and worse when it's not reached the ambient temperature.
Old 11th February 2011, 15:18   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I wonder why MS does not upgrade the DIS in their SX4. All the competing companies give a lot of information whereas DIS in SX4 is just odometer, tripmeter, outside temp and time. I am sure it's not much an effort to upgrade given the price point at which it is offered. Even small things like illuminated power window switches are not provided. No rear AC vents. The build quality too is not great and there have been many people complaining of rattles. I think people buy the car only 'cause it's Maruti even if it highly feature deficient.
My 2 cents: the USP of the SX4 is the high GC. If there were a comfortable mid range SUV with safety features (something like the mini Xylo but offered with good ***), it could take away a few of the prospective SX4 buyers.
Old 11th February 2011, 16:20   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
You forgot 16", auto climate control. IMHO Rear A/C Vents and MFD is missing. Rear A/C vents is just 2 SMPS fan and not a value add apart from recirculating air better. Build quality is not great and those who have thought SX4 is a mini SUV for indian roads (like me) - Their rattling is be worse for that class. I spent close to 11k on damping all doors and it is now giving the perception of better build quality. (add some cell foam packing too at loose places). But I have to agree, i tortured my car too much on broken roads and have taken my car to rural areas very frequently.
Old 11th February 2011, 18:44   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
My 2 cents: the USP of the SX4 is the high GC. If there were a comfortable mid range SUV with safety features (something like the mini Xylo but offered with good ***), it could take away a few of the prospective SX4 buyers.
+1

Personally my expectations from my car would be,

1) Comfortable seating position for driver as well as passengers
2) Diesel engine with good mileage
3) Safety features
4) Reliability
5) High G.C.
6) All the basic features
7) Predictable handling
8) Fun to drive would be an added advantage (low end torque)
9) Good *** with least worries about maintenance bills.

I see SX4 diesel fulfilling it all. And People who are looking forward to buy a car as their "Daily Work Horse" are going to get a great option.

PS : I have not finalized on any car yet and these are my initial impressions regarding this particular car.
Old 11th February 2011, 20:52   #566
BHPian

I checked with the Bimal Showroom in Bangalore. As per them, the vehicles are enroute and still not available for test drive.
As per them, SX4 has the same 1.3L diesel engine as Dzire. The engine has been tuned to produce 90bhp at 4000rpm and 200N@1700 torque.

BTW, they are already taking booking for the vehicle. The salesgirl told me that 15 bookings have been made till now with them. So, its possible to get the car delivered in 2 weeks after the launch in case someone books now.

Last edited by recker_us : 11th February 2011 at 20:53. Reason: added booking info
Old 11th February 2011, 21:34   #567
Senior - BHPian

^^ OMG.. Same Dezire engine that has been tuned to produce 90bhp !! These are the people that sell cars !
Please ask them if they have heard of a variable geometry turbocharger...

PS: OT.. But this reminds me of my visit to a sony erricson showroom where the guy tells me that the xperia x8 is upgradable to android 2.4 and 2.5..!! (Where's the head banging smiley on t-bhp mobile??)
Old 11th February 2011, 22:07   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
  • 1248 cc DDIS 16V DOHC
  • VGT
  • 90 HP@4000 rpm
  • 207 nm@1750 rpm
  • 70K to 1L premium expected
  • VDI an ZDI models
  • Launch on 18th feb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^ OMG.. Same Dezire engine that has been tuned to produce 90bhp !! These are the people that sell cars !
Please ask them if they have heard of a variable geometry turbocharger..
Well, it looks like they knew about VGT Looking forward to seeing it on the roads. A capable sedan with a good engine producing some respectable power.
That is a good combo
Old 11th February 2011, 23:18   #569
Senior - BHPian

SchumiFan - I was referring to the Bimal Guys. We all know its the VGT, but the things these dealership guys say..
Old 12th February 2011, 13:36   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidms View Post
Psbali are you done with the proper TD? Please share your experience.
oh sorry mate.. i left for punjab the very next day so couldnt get a proper TD.. but i will return by monday and then take a proper TD..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks