Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 13:17   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
When there is a Dzire DDiS, why would Maruti even look at releasing a SX4 diesel. The 1.3 MJD will have to be tuned to extract more Bhp since the SX4 is a beast. I doubt if the current engine is going to be offered in the SX4. Then again, the 1.3MJD has a lot pf potential, I am sure Maruti can figure it out in time, so they will have a level playing field with other brands.
going by your logic, Why do they Maruti sell SX4 Petrol when Dzire Petrol is already there ? SX4 is based on Baleno platform and Dzire is based on Esteems.

As far my technical knowledge is concern 1.3 MJD placed in swift/stile/vista is actually a detuned version of 1.3 MJD, so it still have lot more potentional still left to be extracted. Linea is also being offered with the same engine but with different tuning. Yes Linea ain't a performance work-horse but it is sedately drivable in city/highway. So chances are high that the same enginer might also be offered in SX4, with different tuning, as well.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:26   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
going by your logic, Why do they Maruti sell SX4 Petrol when Dzire Petrol is already there ? SX4 is based on Baleno platform and Dzire is based on Esteems.

As far my technical knowledge is concern 1.3 MJD placed in swift/stile/vista is actually a detuned version of 1.3 MJD, so it still have lot more potentional still left to be extracted. Linea is also being offered with the same engine but with different tuning. Yes Linea ain't a performance work-horse but it is sedately drivable in city/highway. So chances are high that the same enginer might also be offered in SX4, with different tuning, as well.
I get your point. Maruti currently offers a lot of cars catering to a wide variety of customer base. But need clarification here, I was under the that SX4 and Swift were completely new platforms. The Esteem engine was the only thing which was used in the swift platform.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:54   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
I get your point. Maruti currently offers a lot of cars catering to a wide variety of customer base. But need clarification here, I was under the that SX4 and Swift were completely new platforms. The Esteem engine was the only thing which was used in the swift platform.
They are indeed completely new platforms !! Swift which was all new entrant between WagonR and Esteem, SX4 is one which replaced Baleno lately. Though to some extent both of them shares engines from Esteem and Baleno but not completely.
Old 17th February 2009, 14:21   #94
Senior - BHPian

Swift petrol shares the same engine as Esteem.

Not sure about SX4 if it has the same engine as Baleno.
Old 17th February 2009, 14:30   #95
Senior - BHPian

The Swift-P uses the Esteem's 1.3L engine in India (in other countries, I think it uses a 1.6L engine). But the SX4 does not use the Baleno's engine. SX4 uses a different series of engine, even though both are 1.6L engines.

The Esteem engine is not a good choice for the heavier-by-100kg Swift. The Baleno's torquey 1.6L motor would have been just perfect, not only for better city drivability & highway performance, but would have been more FE also, inspite of being a higher displacement engine. But then Maruti being Maruti.
Old 17th February 2009, 14:57   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The Swift-P uses the Esteem's 1.3L engine in India (in other countries, I think it uses a 1.6L engine). But the SX4 does not use the Baleno's engine. SX4 uses a different series of engine, even though both are 1.6L engines.

The Esteem engine is not a good choice for the heavier-by-100kg Swift. The Baleno's torquey 1.6L motor would have been just perfect, not only for better city drivability & highway performance, but would have been more FE also, inspite of being a higher displacement engine. But then Maruti being Maruti.
is it not that sx4 has the same baleno engine but tweaked to give more bhp ??????
when i went to test drive,(when they launched!!) they told me this !!
Old 17th February 2009, 15:02   #97
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if all the manufacturers have just one diesel engine for india the 1.3 MJD. Every car has it.Either detuned it to produce 75 bhp or tuned to produce 90 whatever bhp if the car happens to be a little bigger.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:04   #98
BHPian

SX4 diesel is on test run at Maruti factory now days. The only difference is the DDSi badge and new set of alloy wheels. I am not sure about engine specifications.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:13   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But the SX4 does not use the Baleno's engine. SX4 uses a different series of engine, even though both are 1.6L engines.

Yes, it is a M Series engine.
The Baleno's engine in the swift would have been perfect except for the cost. That is why maruti would not have done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
is it not that sx4 has the same baleno engine but tweaked to give more bhp ??????
when i went to test drive,(when they launched!!) they told me this !!
crap !!
Old 17th February 2009, 17:33   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron-w16 View Post
SX4 diesel is on test run at Maruti factory now days. The only difference is the DDSi badge and new set of alloy wheels. I am not sure about engine specifications.
Maruti is testing a 1.9L MJD SX4 and pricing will be in the range of 8.5L.
Old 17th February 2009, 17:58   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron-w16 View Post
Almost too good to be true

Source please ?
Old 17th February 2009, 18:05   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Don't tell me you heard this from a MASS.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:09   #103
BHPian

Quote:
If this is true then it will be really good to see the SX4 take on Linea/ANHC/Verna.

Else if Maruti goes with the same 1.3MJD then I don't think I'd give it even a second thought. I had a test drive on Linea and was really disappointed with the power delivery. Though the car was unbelievably smooth.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the 1.9
Old 17th February 2009, 18:14   #104
BHPian

Fiat Linea also has come with the same 1.3 MJD, so why not the SX4? Both the cars are looking at the same buyer segment. I simply failed to understand the logic of both Palio & Linea sharing the same engine. However what I got to know from Tata guys was the cost factor. It seems that the MJD engines are much more expensive to manufacture than the older diesel engines. Last sentence is open to correction.
Old 17th February 2009, 20:06   #105
BHPian

Quote:
i know that testing on sx4 diesel is being done in the suzuki powertrain manesar but i am not sure about the engine specs.are you sure about the news?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed