Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 00:01   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards? Update: Pics on Pg 33

Hello,

My cousin was informed that SX4 D is going to be launched in same no. of variants as the petrol variants. Surat dealers have taken a few bookings and my cousin has been allotted the 7th booking for the same. He was told the cars will be reaching the dealers yard by mid feb and cars should be ready for delivery by wst week march after the launch in last week feb.
Old 8th February 2011, 00:08   #512
Senior - BHPian

h@r$h@l, do you know any other details from your cousin, has he received a brochure, perhaps confirmation regarding engine specs, etc?
I hope the SX4 production and deliveries are managed efficiently by MSIL and that it does not go the way of the Swift (delivery time of a few months).
Old 8th February 2011, 00:26   #513
Senior - BHPian

Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The Swift D cant hold a candle to the FGP in

1. Steering feedback
2. Handling
3. Braking
4. Slalom
5. High speed dynamics
6. HVAC - Climate control
7. Trip computer and its associated features
etc etc..
True for most of those, but funny that you talk about all these while the topic of discussion was the engine and it's state of tune in different cars.

The SX4 diesel will be a success for MSIL if it's priced just 90k above the petrol variant, as said!
Old 8th February 2011, 00:40   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
What it can do is out accelerate the FGP thru the gears which can be termed as fun to drive by some
That should be fun, given that the engine comes from you-know-where.
Old 8th February 2011, 01:02   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The Swift D cant hold a candle to the FGP in

headers...FGP stands for "Fiat GM Powertrain". Its a JV between the two companies with shared intellectual property rights for the MJD engine.

Doesnt have anything to do with points 1-7 that you mentioned in your post. Lets not deride where derision is undeserved!

Last edited by aditya79india : 8th February 2011 at 01:05.
Old 8th February 2011, 01:12   #516
BHPian

Here is an article on SX4 diesel from Autocar India.

Link: Maruti SX4 Diesel Spy Pics Leaked | Autocar India

We have got our hands on the spy images of the Maruti SX4 diesel, ahead of its official launch. The car was spotted at a Maruti dealer near Hubli, Karnataka, by our reader Nishant Magavi. Maruti will reveal the prices for the diesel SX4 in the second-half of this month.
The car spotted is a demo car with decals all around. The DDiS and ZDi badge can be clearly seen, differentiating it from the petrol sibling. Apart from the badges, there are no visible changes to the exteriors that separate the diesel from the petrol.
The mid-size Maruti saloon will use the same Fiat-sourced 90bhp, 1.3 Multi-jet diesel, that powers the Linea and the refreshed Tata Manza. However, according to Maruti sources, the SX4 diesel which is estimated to be around 70kg lighter will offer better performance and economy than its rivals.
While the SX4 hatchback in Europe uses Fiat’s 1.9 diesel engines, for India, the 1.3 Multi-jet was considered a more practical choice as it is essentially the same base engine as the one in the Swift and Dzire but with a Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT).
With growing competition from diesel mid-sizers, especially VW Vento, the SX4 which only has a petrol option was under threat. According to company sources, the diesel SX4 could undercut the Vento by around Rs 1lakh. Hence, expect the diesel SX4 to cost around Rs 70,000 more than the existing petrol version.

Last edited by neeld : 8th February 2011 at 01:12. Reason: Correction
Old 8th February 2011, 02:31   #517

the SX4 diesels have already been dispatched to most of the dealerships.the dealer or unnofficially blocking cars for customers.couple of my frnds have already blocked vehicles.the car will cost about a lakh more than the petrol versions ON ROAD PRICE.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:57   #518
BHPian

Would there be a provison for adding a Pete box to Sx4 diesel , I know it is too early considering the vehicle is not launched yet .

The reason for asking the same is i believe the max the 1.3 MJD can give is the 90bhp .

May be experts in the forum can throw some insight,.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:02   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
headers...FGP stands for "Fiat GM Powertrain". Its a JV between the two companies with shared intellectual property rights for the MJD engine.

Doesnt have anything to do with points 1-7 that you mentioned in your post. Lets not deride where derision is undeserved!
LOL. Am sure Headers meant "Fiat Grande Punto" whenever he mentioned FGP.

Anyways, it's irrelevant now. Let's stick to discussing any updates with regards to the diesel SX4. Am heading to the dealer today, let's see.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:50   #520
Senior - BHPian

I hope you are able to check out the car. There is not a single word about it on their website. However, there seems to be a separate website created by a dealer to cash in on the bookings. No new details available there either.
Considering the buzz Manza created around a facelift, there should have been a little more effort from MSIL showcasing the diesel. I know their products fly off the shelf, but..
Old 8th February 2011, 12:33   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would be amusing if one turned to the old Linea thread and read a bit. The flak that the car received, (from maruti fans included) for it's "underpowered" engine makes interesting reading. And now here we read about why-90bhp-is-not-exactly-underpowered, or what-matters-is-the-package.
Couldn't agree with you anymore. After playing diplomatic for some time, I am fed up. People in India need reasons to bash FIAT up; just as they need reasons to praise HONDA (and to some extent TOYOTA). It is as simple as that! It is an inherent preference.

Back to the topic: I think that 1.3MJD 90 bhp will do a good job in SX4 . Just wait and watch. It will not be a road burner but expect it to be faster that the Linea by a considerable margin. Reason? 'Better' gearbox and 'much better' calibration. I think it will do a 0-100 in 13.5-14 sec which should be acceptable. I expect Maruti SX4 to be well and truly in the volume segment after the diesel launch.

It will be the only car after Corolla (BTW, was Corolla CNG ever launched. If so, does anybody buy it?)to be available in 3 'fuel types':
1. Petrol
2. CNG
3. Diesel

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 8th February 2011 at 12:34.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:24   #522
BHPian

The SX4 with a 90 bhp VGT will definitely be a killer. The biggest casualty would be Linea which is bang in SX4 territory. Interesting thing would be the waiting period for diesel SX4 as the Swift and Dzire have a long long waiting list and another diesel engine may add to the wait.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:29   #523
Senior - BHPian

After around more than two years of speculation finally we have some images of a diesel SX4. I think that performance will be more upon the ability of Suzuki to tune the engine as SX4 is second heaviest after Linea. So a slight weight advantage + better tuning means an acceptable performer. Other Maruti advantages like cheap spares and wide service network can result into increased SX4 sales. I expect VW not be selfish and give the 1.6 diesel of Vento to Suzuki for SX4. This could work well for Suzuki and in the long run economies of scale can be achieved if VW allows that motor to go into other cars also.

What is the tentative launching date ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post

It will be the only car after Corolla (BTW, was Corolla CNG ever launched. If so, does anybody buy it?)to be available in 3 'fuel types':
1. Petrol
2. CNG
3. Diesel
CNG Corolla availability is limited to a few citites. I did try to inquire more about CNG corolla and CNG Innova, but the salesperson told me that I have visited a fake website and these CNG versions are not available from Toyota. The official website does show these cars to be available, but unfortunately Toyota has not come up with nation wide sales. With increasing prices of petrol, IMO, this could be helpful in increasing sales. CNG Innova is very nice too.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:50   #524
Senior - BHPian

There were some Maruti guys at my inlaws' place when I had called today. They were TDing the WagonR ( finalised as well). I forwarded my queries about the SX4 to the MSIL guys.
Apparently the SX4 Diesel demo cars have reached the showroom but they have received no training yet. For some reason they said that it wont be launched till April. Isnt it odd that they would be so ill informed about the launch dates or why they would pass on such info? Or is there something we are missing here in terms of the launch date?
Old 8th February 2011, 16:07   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Couldn't agree with you anymore. After playing diplomatic for some time, I am fed up. People in India need reasons to bash FIAT up; just as they need reasons to praise HONDA (and to some extent TOYOTA). It is as simple as that! It is an inherent preference.
Sir, as I have booked, bought, owned, serviced and sold Fiat Uno and Siena, and have friends who have done the same with the Palio and the Punto, I don't think of myself having to find any reason to bash FIAT other than the 'BOOK, BUY, OWN, MAINTAIN AND SELL" process itself with a Fiat. The considerable effort that goes into every stage is simply unbelievable. Lost booking amounts, deliveries delayed eternally, price changes 3- 4 times from booking to delivery, scratched car, missing spare tyre at delivery, waiting for a month for some a/c spare part, new components blatantly swapped for old ones by service personnel, catching your car which you gave for service being used as a TD vehicle, and the insulting feeling when you get no response to the ad you placed for selling your hot Italian sedan... I've pulled out my hair, bitten off my nails, banged my head, all in frustration, total and absolute with Fiats.

The SX4 has a good driving position, good ground clearance, and best of all, it's a Maruti. It might be a Fiat Sedicci (not sure about the name/ spelling) with a Fiat Multijet engine, but it has Maruti backing it. That is one big big difference. Now only if Fiat Italy were wise enough to team up with Maruti for selling their products.

And BTW, the Citys and Qualises are more than reasons engough to praise Honda and Toyota!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks