Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 16:21   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards? Update: Pics on Pg 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Sir, as I have booked, bought, owned, serviced and sold Fiat Uno and Siena, and have friends who have done the same with the Palio and the Punto, I don't think of myself having to find any reason to bash FIAT other than the 'BOOK, BUY, OWN, MAINTAIN AND SELL" process itself with a Fiat. The considerable effort that goes into every stage is simply unbelievable. Lost booking amounts, deliveries delayed eternally, price changes 3- 4 times from booking to delivery, scratched car, missing spare tyre at delivery, waiting for a month for some a/c spare part, new components blatantly swapped for old ones by service personnel, catching your car which you gave for service being used as a TD vehicle, and the insulting feeling when you get no response to the ad you placed for selling your hot Italian sedan... I've pulled out my hair, bitten off my nails, banged my head, all in frustration, total and absolute with Fiats.

And BTW, the Citys and Qualises are more than reasons engough to praise Honda and Toyota!
+1 to the negative showroom experience. A couple of days ago, someone I know was refused a Vista test drive in Pandit Auto, Pune. the reason given was that this car has been reliably available for years now, so there is no point in a TD. Needless to say, the guys who were convinced on buying the Vista walked out from there and called MSIL who landed up at the doorstep with a WagonR. Perhaps they are not comparable cars, but the showroom experience is something that one cannot 'digest'.
It is not only that one Vista customer that they lost, but also a serious Manza prospect in me. I was never very confident in Pandit Auto (never called me for my TD booking. when I went there, they made me wait for an hour and the TD car disappeared to the garage. the second time I went, I knew more about the car than the lady who accompanied us and we still had to wait 30mins. The TD was around 1km - 3 right turns and back to the showroom). Despite all this, I was considering the Manza Elan seriously (be indian buy indian - well partly Indian), but looks like they will end up driving me towards either Maruti or Honda. I am sick of being taken for granted
Old 8th February 2011, 16:30   #527
Senior - BHPian

• 1248 cc DDIS 16V DOHC
  • VGT
  • 90 HP@4000 rpm
  • 207 nm@1750 rpm
  • 70K to 1L premium expected
  • VDI an ZDI models
  • Launch on 18th feb.
Old 8th February 2011, 17:36   #528
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
  • 1248 cc DDIS 16V DOHC
  • VGT
  • 90 HP@4000 rpm
  • 207 nm@1750 rpm
  • 70K to 1L premium expected
  • VDI an ZDI models
  • Launch on 18th feb.
For a car like SX4, for an enthusiast, this is insufficient power IMO, but sufficient as long as it does duty as expected for a non-enthusiast.

BTW, the torque of 207nm is greater than Linea's 200nm? The VG turbocharging of this 1.3L engine is done by FIAT's technology / Maruti's own work?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 8th February 2011 at 17:43.
Old 8th February 2011, 18:59   #529
Senior - BHPian

What about the interior changes? As with other manufacturers will they be reducing anything? Or will they be adding to it?
Old 8th February 2011, 19:25   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
What about the interior changes? As with other manufacturers will they be reducing anything? Or will they be adding to it?

Considering the fact that the Dezire comes with same features in petrol and diesel versions the SX4 diesel should also come with similar features as the petrol. However it would be nice if Maruti offers automatic in diesel also.
Old 8th February 2011, 19:29   #531
BHPian

guys.. happy to report that I drove SX4 diesel for a very short distance.
I have the old petrol SX4 so the comparison is not with the vvt.
The following views are only as per my opinion and may change when I get to properly use the car.

Steering is ultra light at idling speed and gets well weighted once you start rolling. Suspension is quite light compared to my old SX4.

Now the pick up and acceleration. Pick up is good but not like my petrol SX4. The power delivery is quite linear and the engine noise is low once you are inside the cabin. The acceleration is good as well but I am sure the car would require frequent down-shifts and up-shifts in traffic. Don't think so it will pull in the 3rd gear like my petrol sx4 used to. But as I said I couldn't drive it for a good distance as even the fuel was on empty and it being a diesel vehicle we didn't want to take a chance.

It would fit the bill for most of the people. As it is only 1.3 ltr 90 bhp ddis we cant expect a lot but the car feels quite refined. The odo reading on the car was 5kms and yeah it is the same car that has been booked by my dad. Will get a proper TD tomorrow or tonight once the demo vehicle is ready later at night.

Old 8th February 2011, 19:32   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
guys.. happy to report that I drove SX4 diesel for a very short distance.
I have the old petrol SX4 so the comparison is not with the vvt.
The following views are only as per my opinion and may change when I get to properly use the car.

Steering is ultra light at idling speed and gets well weighted once you start rolling. Suspension is quite light compared to my old SX4.

Now the pick up and acceleration. Pick up is good but not like my petrol SX4. The power delivery is quite linear and the engine noise is low once you are inside the cabin. The acceleration is good as well but I am sure the car would require frequent down-shifts and up-shifts in traffic. Don't think so it will pull in the 3rd gear like my petrol sx4 used to. But as I said I couldn't drive it for a good distance as even the fuel was on empty and it being a diesel vehicle we didn't want to take a chance.

It would fit the bill for most of the people. As it is only 1.3 ltr 90 bhp ddis we cant expect a lot but the car feels quite refined. The odo reading on the car was 5kms and yeah it is the same car that has been booked by my dad. Will get a proper TD tomorrow or tonight once the demo vehicle is ready later at night.

Thats a short report there ! Please do bring us LOTS of pics and also the detailed report tomorrow ! Cant really wait.
Old 8th February 2011, 19:32   #533
Senior - BHPian

Equipment levels will be the same as VXI and ZXI respectively.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:30   #534
Senior - BHPian

will there be an automatic version in diesel, too?
Old 8th February 2011, 20:59   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
will there be an automatic version in diesel, too?
Though it's OT, I would like to know whether SX4 Petrol come with automatic gearbox in any variant?
Old 8th February 2011, 21:05   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Brain View Post
Though it's OT, I would like to know whether SX4 Petrol come with automatic gearbox in any variant?
Yeah, the top end SX4 petrol comes with an AT and this was introduced in the last facelift !
Old 8th February 2011, 21:27   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
it is the same car that has been booked by my dad. Will get a proper TD tomorrow or tonight once the demo vehicle is ready later at night.
congrats on the new arrival! when is the delivery scheduled for? please post pics & let us know which dealer this is from. The guys at Chowgule informed my family members today that the launch is a couple of months away!
Old 8th February 2011, 22:03   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
For a car like SX4, for an enthusiast, this is insufficient power IMO, but sufficient as long as it does duty as expected for a non-enthusiast.

BTW, the torque of 207nm is greater than Linea's 200nm? The VG turbocharging of this 1.3L engine is done by FIAT's technology / Maruti's own work?
Linea is 209 Nm (though the first batch was 203 Nm). I don't think Maruti is allowed to change the turbo charging and engine DNA as such.

SX4 diesel being 100 Kg lighter than Linea, you can expect better acceleration. 0-100 will be definitely 2 seconds better because of the lighter weight and also better gear ratio (meaning, clean pull till 100 Kmph in third gear). I'm guessing SX4 DDiS 0-100 in some 12.x (or a bit 13 +/- secs)
Old 8th February 2011, 22:05   #539
BHPian

How did maruti get rid of 70 kgs flab in diesel, can it not be done on a petrol for better power-to-weight ratio (and better pickup) . Will weight reduction not imply adjustments in handling aspects :-)
Old 8th February 2011, 22:35   #540

Hi, just came back from TD of freshly arrived SX4 diesel. This was ZDI model. Looked identical to ZXI. No automatic though. Interior trims as well as exterior are same as ZXI. Absolutely no change from the most recent petrol version. Engine block looked smaller with lot of space around the engine.

I have 3 year old Swift VDI with ABS. So here I am comparing my car with this.

Steering is very very light at idling speed and gets well stiffer as speed gains. Smoothness of power steering is far more free than the petrol version. I can compare to Innova's steering response.

Pick up is good. Idles around 900 RPM. good torque even at low RPM of 1000 (even lower than my swift which get sufficient torque around 1200 RPM). Engine noise inside the cabin is far less than that of swift. The acceleration is very good. Drive is almost like swift except for the slight body roll due to higher stance.

Suspensions are softer than petrol version of SX4 and well dampened, Body roll was also lesser than petrol version. Tyres were same JK, so adding better tyres might make the ride even better.

There was ample power. Since the TD was in the city I could not go and test top speed, but acceleration was excellent. I did not feel the car was underpowered at all. In fact being marginally heavier than swift does not show up at all. I don't know how to test VGT but there was ample power in all speeds.

I heard the price will be around 70K more than the petrol version as the engine will get some excise concession.

The dealer is not sure of the launch date but says soon, within few days.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed