Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2008, 14:15   #1
BHPian

Which city has more number of SUVs in India?

Hi,

Just thought it would be a nice idea to know if what I am thinking is right or not. I see more number of SUVs in Hyderabad than in other cities that I have visited so far. Am I correct?

I tried to imagin the root cause for this and I came up with few thoughts:

1. Lot of money with the people (black???)
2. People are more passionate about the SUVs?
3. People travel off-road often?
4. City traffic except office hours is cosiderably less?
Old 10th September 2008, 09:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

From my limited experience in Andhra, I have noticed there are lot of very rich people in the rural areas of Andhra and their lifestyle is very very different from the rural folks in other parts of the country. I am not saying rural Andhra is generally rich. What I mean is rural Andhra has many rich commercial farmers who make pots and pots of money from tobacco and spices. I think the small town of Guntur has more Mercs than Calcutta.
But this ownership of modern SUVs is perhaps a recent culture in Andhra.
I think culturally the Punjab area of our country has been using UVs for a very very long time. This is because of two reasons - military background of the population and largely rural based population. It's a very rare Punjabi family that doesn't have a jeep or a Jonga.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

My guess is Delhi. With the number of VIPs & their chumchas, its got to be Delhi.
Old 10th September 2008, 11:11   #4
BHPian

I think it would be Mumbai and Delhi. But, would not be surprised, if there are more in the rural areas of India. As Sudipto-S-Team said, there are more Mercs in Guntur, Vijayawada, Vizag, and Rayalaseema areas than in Hyderabad.
Old 10th September 2008, 11:37   #5
BHPian

When it comes to rural areas, may be the thoughts expressed here by fellow T-BHPians are correct. But, in Hyderabad/Secunderabad (urban areas) I see lots and lots of modern SUVs. I just see a big SUV with the owner driving or a driver with the owner, only two occupants. The thought that SUVs are spacious and good for more number of travellers does not seem to apply here! and moreover, the SUVs are mostly used for daily commute than the real off-roading, I see lot of young corporates driving these beasts. Shift in the paradigm?
Old 10th September 2008, 15:10   #6
BHPian

Kochi is another place for Big Cars and Big Bungalows !!! Gulf money Bhai Log !!!!
Old 10th September 2008, 15:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

Punjab, I guess. It makes a statement, and Punjabis love that
Old 10th September 2008, 15:49   #8
BHPian

SUVs - has to be Punjab (ludhiana/chandigarh) with private as well as enormous taxi usage of Innova and Scorpio
Old 10th September 2008, 16:34   #9
BHPian

bang on Eddy - got to interiors
(if Punjab) and youl'll only find endeavors, scorpios, Crvs' and now captiva..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Punjab, I guess. It makes a statement, and Punjabis love that
Old 10th September 2008, 17:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I would also concur that Hyderabad or the tier 2 cities of AP, like vijaywada, Vizag, Guntur constitute with lot of import cars and not just SUV's. I am totally appalled at the recent spurt in increase of foreign cars in Hyderabad itself. people here are buying BMW/Audi's more than when M800 was first released.

Someone rightly pointed out, Vijayawada and Guntur has more crorepati's than in Hyderabad. For them splurging on a 70 Lakh Q7 is peanuts and yes, they don't drive themselves, it is some lean fellow driving that humungous truck and the owner sits in the back preening. What a wastage of so much space

I had spotted a couple of VW Tourages in hyderabad way back in Sep 2006. Btw, Q7's are becoming increasing common in Hyderabad now and god knows when this SUV splurging will stop considering that it is just the begining.

To cut a long story short, maybe after Delhi and Mumbai, Hyderabad/AP could possibly be the third biggest import/SUV consumer.
Old 10th September 2008, 17:26   #11
evo
BHPian

If SUV doesnt necessarily equal expensive SUV then I`d say that Shillong has the largest percentage of SUVS when compared to the total number of cars there.
Old 10th September 2008, 17:27   #12
BHPian

Has to be Hyderabad. In AP, people have a special craze for SUVs and the "I am BIG" feeling that goes with it. Actually the latest trend in Hyderabad is to have one SUV + regular sedan(s) in a house. I am one of them too.
Old 10th September 2008, 17:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Has to be Hyderabad. In AP, people have a special craze for SUVs and the "I am BIG" feeling that goes with it. Actually the latest trend in Hyderabad is to have one SUV + regular sedan(s) in a house. I am one of them too.
Nice of you to own up on that "I am Big" craze funda
Old 10th September 2008, 17:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
From my limited experience in Andhra, I have noticed there are lot of very rich people in the rural areas of Andhra
Thats where the SUVs belong anyway, RURAL areas, so that comes to no surprise
Old 10th September 2008, 17:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Way to go chaxy!! cheers:

Most Viewed