Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2008, 06:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nano passes Indian road test

Nano passes Indian road test

NEW DELHI: The Singur plant may not be ready to roll out the Nano just yet, but the Rs 1 lakh car is now officially roadworthy for Indian tarmac.

The car was successfully ‘homologated’ by the Pune-based Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), which handed over the Nano’s clearance certificate to Tata Motors last week.

This means that the car has met all the specified criteria for roadworthiness laid out by the government including emissions or noise & vibration and can now ply on Indian roads.

When Tata Motors first announced the Nano project, there was a lot of scepticism over its cost target as well as technical specifications. But the road-worthiness test has now proved what Tata brass have been claiming so far — that the Nano will be the most fuel efficient car in India.

The Nano is fitted with a twin-cylinder 623 cc rear mounted petrol engine that generates 33 horse power. Those dimensions make it the smallest engine in India but sources say the Nano managed to score around 24 km per litre during its ‘homologation’ tests with ARAI.

Although the ARAI score is under standard and not in city driving conditions, the Nano is expected to deliver a standard mileage of over 20 kmpl when it actually rolls out on Indian roads. This would make it more fuel efficient than the Maruti Alto small car, currently top of the mileage heap.

Sources say that’s why the Nano will be the first car in India to display the actual fuel mileage figures it recorded at ARAI’s tests on its windshield. The innovatively-designed Nano went through more than 100 tests of various kinds at the ARAI’s Pune facility over a period of four months. It conforms to Euro IV emission standards which will come into effect in India in 2010.

Clearing the homologation hurdle means the Nano is now technically ready to be sold in India. As part of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules (CMVR), all vehicles that ply on Indian roads, including the totally imported ones, have to be homologated for the local market.

“Successful homologation is the first step and the certification which was handed over to Tata Motors’ head of Engineering Research Centre Clive Hickman will be dispatched to all regional transport offices in India. Immediately thereafter they can start registering any car sold by Tata Motors,” sources said.

Source : Nano passes Indian road test- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 10th September 2008, 06:49   #2
BANNED

So, when do we get to see it on roads? When will we see it being sold like hot cakes?
Should we wait till one Mrs. Banerjee to start thinking and talking sense?

Good to know that Nano has finished it's homologation processes. This is one step which has kept us away from many well known models in the world.
Way to go, Mr. Ratan Tata! Keep it up.
Old 10th September 2008, 09:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

So, officially its ready for the launch in India. Great news. 20kmpl is really a good figure with current oil prices/demands. Hats off to you Mr.TATA.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would rather wait to see the pricing of the car ( Whether they are able to maintain the 1 lakh rupees mark [ex showroom] )
Old 10th September 2008, 11:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I would rather wait to see the pricing of the car ( Whether they are able to maintain the 1 lakh rupees mark [ex showroom] )
I believe that they WILL maintain it. Atleast for the initial 4000-5000 lots they are planning in first release.
Old 10th September 2008, 11:47   #6
BHPian

yes, i too think Tata would stick to the price, for the initial lots atleast.
This is what he did mention in one of his interviews (in the latest edition of AutoCar)
Old 10th September 2008, 12:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

I heard about the Road test going on at Kari motors speedway in Coimbatore - But didn't get a chance to visit there.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I heard about the Road test going on at Kari motors speedway in Coimbatore - But didn't get a chance to visit there.
Even the Vista was undergoing Road tests there. Hats off to Tata . I agree with Mjothi- i feel they will stick to the price as promised.

Most Viewed