Team-BHP - Auto Industry Law reform
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Auto Industry Law reform (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/4567-auto-industry-law-reform.html)

I think with Auto Industry getting into high speed, some law reform should be immediately implemented...

1. Create a national car database and make it mandatory for every manufacturer/dealer to report a car sale. VIN should be assigned to every car.

2. Every service center should report every service/repair performed and provide car mileage, cost of service, date car was brought in and date car was released back, DL of the person who brought the car in.

3. Consumers should be able to pull up a car history from this database.

What do you guys think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLL
1. Create a national car database and make it mandatory for every manufacturer/dealer to report a car sale. VIN should be assigned to every car.

Think every manufacturer has exactly sales figures with VIN, Chassis and Engine numbers. As for a common database, if I were a manufacturer or seller I wouldnt want competition to know more about how and where I sell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLL
2. Every service center should report every service/repair performed and provide car mileage, cost of service, date car was brought in and date car was released back, DL of the person who brought the car in.

I got this from my Hyundai dealer when I asked for service history record - it didnt have my DL number though. Again, as a manufacturer I wouldnt want competition to know certain details.

Most (if not all) manufacturers have Enterprise Systems that allow them to track all sales and service activity. You suggestion seems to indicate that they should perhaps share this database - in my opinion thats sharing critical business information with competition, which does not make commercial sense. I cant understand why this might be needed, so it would help if you elaborated on the benefits of such a database.

We've all known what overt regulation did to this market - we all drove Ambys, Padminis and Heralds for over 30 years.

Steer

Adv: The govt would have a database of every car being driven in the country. This info is already available with Rto but not in central location.

In fact we should have a common car registration regime in the whole country - you can buy a car anywhere and move anywhere, without needing to re-register it. You would just need to update the address. Similarly for your Driving license - you can get an all india DL from anywhere and live anywere. You just need to keep your address updated in central database.

Adv: Govt would know the service history of every car. It would be difficult for someone to manipulate Odometers and hide problems during resale.
Since Service records would be available, it can also be easier to track hit and run cases. e.g. A tata indica driver runs over a kid crossing the road and flees. he then goes to a garage to get his car fixed up. Since the garage would report the repair to the db, cops can easily search the db and find all indicas who got repaired in that period.

Adv: at the time of resale, a consumer can check this database and see all the previous records. Currently this info is either not available or can easily be forged.

4. cops should report every accident to this db,

Get you now! What you have in mind is more towards crime prevention than towards regulation.

And yes, it makes buying cars from different locations much easier, too. Today its a pain to register an out-of-state vehicle no matter how much documentation you produce...

For this we will first have to make fundamental changes like shifting Road Transport from being a State subject to a Central one. The database will not be able to meet its purpose without such a foundation.

I wonder what happened to that proposal to introduce secure number plates, where numberplates are hologrammed and supplied by statutory bodies and not your local road-sidewallah.

Cheers

Steer