Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2008, 14:59   #1
BHPian

Honda CRV - generations (in India)

I have been tracking some CRVs - with a whimsical fancy of maybe buying one of these (a used one) in the coming days/weeks/months.

No, this is not a which car to buy thread, and so have not posted it in that section. My idea is to get detailed information on the different variants (generations) of Honda CRVs in India. Being confused myself, I think such a thread would help clearning the air for other team-bhpians as well.

Having read up some, I am assuming that the International 2nd generation CRVs were called 1st Generation in India. And the 3rd (International) generations called 2nd Generation here? Or am I wrong?

Or at least it seems to me from reading about it on Wikipedia

So my questions. (All pictures were taken from Wikipedia)

1) Ts this the first gen Honda CRV in India? (This is 2nd gen Internationally.)

Honda CRV - generations (in India)-0204_honda_crv_ex.jpg

2) Is this the second gen Honda CRV in India? (This, I think, is a variant of the second gen internationally.)

Honda CRV - generations (in India)-0405_honda_crv.jpg

3) This is the 1998 CRV (1st Gen Internationally) - was this the first generation one in India as well? Or was it never launched in India in the first place?

Honda CRV - generations (in India)-250px1998_honda_crv_ex_03.jpg

4) Were the first gen CRVs (in India), all 2.0 Liter variants, all A/Ts? Or were there 2.4 Variants? I think I saw an advert somewhere of a 2004 CRV specifying a 2.4 liter engine. What were the specifications?

5) The second gen CRVs (in India). Again were there both 2.0 as well as 2.4 Liter engines? Or, like I have assumed, were they all 2.4 ones? With Manual and automatic options. Again, specifications?

6) The most current crop of CRVs in India (2007) is 3rd Gen worldwide (as in India), right? With 2.0 and 2.4 variants.

7) The CRVs in India, being imports, are all imported from Japan, i.e., "Made in Japan." /Japanese variants. Or some place else?

Someone please clear the fog.

Posting seems a pain with Mozilla. Not sure why. And how does one insert the images inbetween the text? Rather than pushing them all to the bottom?

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd November 2011 at 21:13. Reason: Inserted images between text :)
Old 14th September 2008, 15:25   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll refer to the CR-V's as below. My answers in bold.
Gen 1
Honda CRV - generations (in India)-19972001hondacrv98802071990204.jpg

Gen 2
Honda CRV - generations (in India)-03crvhero.jpg

Gen 2 Facelift (FL)
Honda CRV - generations (in India)-05_crv_se_ftside.jpg

Gen 3
Honda CRV - generations (in India)-2008_honda_crv_ext_1.jpg

1) First picture below, is this the first gen Honda CRV in India? (This is 2nd gen Internationally.)
Correct. Gen 2 internationally.

2) Second picture below, is this the second gen Honda CRV in India? (This, I think, is a variant of the second gen internationally.)
This is the facelifted Gen 2 CR-V. The changes include different headlights, chrome grille, 16-in wheels, beige interiors, 2.4L engine from the Accord.

3) Third picture below, this is the 1998 CRV (1st Gen Internationally) - was this the first generation one in India as well? Or was it never launched in India in the first place?
This model was never launched in India. The ones you seen on the road are the imported ones.

4) Were the first gen CRVs (in India), all 2.0 Liter variants, all A/Ts? Or were there 2.4 Variants? I think I saw an advert somewhere of a 2004 CRV specifying a 2.4 liter engine. What were the specifications?
The 1st gen CR-V's were all 2.0s. The 2.4 was only introduced in the facelifted CR-V (Gen 2 FL). The current CR-V is available in both 2.0 and 2.4.

5) The second gen CRVs (in India). Again were there both 2.0 as well as 2.4 Liter engines? Or, like I have assumed, were they all 2.4 ones? With Manual and automatic options. Again, specifications?
The Gen 2 FL was launched only in 2.4 variant. And was available in both manual and automatic.

6) The most current crop of CRVs in India (2007) is 3rd Gen worldwide (as in India), right? With 2.0 and 2.4 variants.
Correct. Not sure of the engine options available abroad. But in India its the 2.0 and 2.4.

7) The CRVs in India, being imports, are all imported from Japan, i.e., "Made in Japan." /Japanese variants. Or some place else?
The CR-V is a CBU from Japan. I dont think you can import it from anywhere other than the country of manufacture / origin.
Old 14th September 2008, 15:39   #3
BHPian

Thanks V12, that was sure an eye opener!

The 2.0 liter engines used in the 1st generation CRV (in India). I am sure they were different from the 2.0 Liter of 2007 (3rd generation). Can you or someone enlighten me on the different engines in the different generations in India in terms of power/torque.
Old 14th September 2008, 17:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Both the GEN 2.2 and GEN 3 were/are also available with diesel engine
Old 14th September 2008, 22:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Both the GEN 2.2 and GEN 3 were/are also available with diesel engine
Internationally maybe, but definitely not in India.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Can you or someone enlighten me on the different engines in the different generations in India in terms of power/torque.
Below is a scan of Engine Specs from the CRV User Manual - Latest/Current Version

Honda CRV - generations (in India)-14092008011.jpg
It is strange that individual BHP/torque figures of both the engines are not mentioned...

Last edited by AbhiJ : 14th September 2008 at 23:31.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not that I'm contributing to this thread much, but I think t-bhp'ians would go wild posting millions of pages on a Honda City evolution thread. Infact I'm sure GTO will come up with one of those now. A tribute to the OHC or something.
Old 15th September 2008, 01:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Pretty True flying spur
even i would pay tribute to it
Beautiful car it was made.
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: current generation automatic CRV:-

Not sure where else to ask this Q. Regarding the automatic gearshift, IIRC, current gen CRV has a 2 and 1 underneath the D mode. No S mode, no paddle shifts and no tiptronic.

My question is, how do the gears operate in 2 and 1 mode. What does it really mean? How does this provide an alternative to the S mode?

Thanks.
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:06   #10
BHPian

Re: Honda CRV - generations (in India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Re: current generation automatic CRV:-

Not sure where else to ask this Q. Regarding the automatic gearshift, IIRC, current gen CRV has a 2 and 1 underneath the D mode. No S mode, no paddle shifts and no tiptronic.

My question is, how do the gears operate in 2 and 1 mode. What does it really mean? How does this provide an alternative to the S mode?

Thanks.
Those are 2nd and 1st gears - if condition requires you to be in lower gears, just slot it on 2 or 1 and gearbox will not go into higher gear even you redline the engine. It does not provide alternative to S mode - it is used for conditions when you need to be in lower gears to extract more torque.

I hope this helps.
Old 23rd November 2011, 22:28   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power

Those are 2nd and 1st gears - if condition requires you to be in lower gears, just slot it on 2 or 1 and gearbox will not go into higher gear even you redline the engine. It does not provide alternative to S mode - it is used for conditions when you need to be in lower gears to extract more torque.

I hope this helps.
Understood. Thanks so much - clarifies perfectly. This is what I thought as well but wanted to confirm. Wow - it's amazing, such a high end automatic and there's absolutely no equivalent of an S mode. If I were ever in the market for this vehicle this single factor would make me seriously reconsider (having gotten so used to S modes and paddles in my other drives). I've seen this of course in lower end ATs but wonder now 20 - 30 Lakh Re customers can reconcile to this.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 23:12   #12
e46
BHPian

To me, the CRV lost its design appeal from 3rd generation onwards, with that ugly rear hump design!

The previous ones were more pleasing, to me!

Abhishek
e46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 06:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46
To me, the CRV lost its design appeal from 3rd generation onwards, with that ugly rear hump design!

The previous ones were more pleasing, to me!

Abhishek
Spot on. The current one looks very ugly and the newer 2012 model is on the same line.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 22:12   #14
BANNED

I'm currently interested in a gen 2 CR-V. Its a 2004 Automatic MDL.

All I want to know is whether it was a 4x4.
HyperRetard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 22:14   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
I'm currently interested in a gen 2 CR-V. Its a 2004 Automatic MDL.

All I want to know is whether it was a 4x4.
I assume this is in India, if my memory serves right at that time only 4x4 were sold in India. So yes should be 4x4.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks