Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2008, 01:33   #1
BHPian

beige fever

I am growing sick of all the manufacturers going for beige interiors.I would instead want grey or black interiors or atleast manufacturers giving us interior colour as an option.
Old 15th September 2008, 01:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Beige does make the interiors look bigger and adds an upmarket feel.
But the manufacturers should give us choices. Currently only luxury car makers BMW,Mercedes,etc have these options.
Old 15th September 2008, 02:06   #3

Well, an int option isnt viable for most manufacturers. I want Red and White/nlack int though...as an option for every damn car!!
Old 15th September 2008, 06:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

A few Indian manufacturers offer varying interior finishes but always linked compulsorily with a variant.

Apart from the 'normal' beige interiors across all models, Ford offers a dark interior (grey/black/silver trim) with the Fiesta S while Mahindra offers a 'Black Allure' interior with the top VLX mHawk Scorpio and Mitsubishi offers black/'carbon fibre' look with the Cedia Sports.

Yet to see Indian customers being allowed to choose their interior from a menu of options. I personally detest beige as well although both my cars have it!

However, I have heard that Mitubishi (AFAIK) does allow a bit of customisation with the Sport interior in the lower Select/Spirit models. This means a special order to the factory and a longer wait time. Again, this is probably due to their low sales graph and wish to please customers!

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th September 2008 at 07:03. Reason: Para
Old 15th September 2008, 09:11   #5
BHPian

Beige interiors has particularly caught the fancy of Indian customers since it is linked with a more upmarket feel. Manufacturers will give customers what they ask for (well, atleast what the majority asks for).

In Europe for example, the preffered choice of interior colour in the hatchback segment is black or dark graphite. Thus a manufacturer will sell the same car with Black interiors in Europe and light grey / Beige interiors in India. (Case in point: Suzuki Swift, Indica Vista - when it does get launched in the export market).

Also, keep in mind, our weather conditions aren't particularly condusive to black interiors. Personally though, i prefer darker shades. For example, I prefer the dark grey/light grey combo on the Indica Vista mid version to the Beige/Brown combo on the high end version!

Suhail
Old 15th September 2008, 09:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think the customers were the one who have forced these manufacturers
for beige interiors. I agree that we should atleast get options for grey interiors too. It would have been interesting to see i10's sales if it didnt have beige interiors.
Old 15th September 2008, 10:08   #7
BHPian

Beige does give the car a more upmarket feel, looks like leather. However this has two problems IMHO. It looks dirty faster than black, and in the sunlight, often gives a light-beige reflection on the windshield which is annoying and distracting for the driver.
Old 15th September 2008, 10:21   #8
BHPian

We are made to believe, by the auto mags, that beige gives a feeling of roominess, whereas black/grey are dark and gloomy! I always felt beige was a nuisance, like on my Accent.
Old 15th September 2008, 10:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think Suzuki has done a very good job of mixing Beige and Grey in SX4. They kept kept Grey on the area which are prone to get the settled dust and easily get dirty and gave beige touch in between, I liked the approach
Old 15th September 2008, 16:57   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I absolutely love beige interiors. It is my favorite interior colour followed by full black. Worst on my list is all grey. I agree with Sahil, manufacturers ought to give options.
Old 15th September 2008, 17:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

well I'm all for beige interiors. love them. in fact i was waiting for it to happen since ages,I've always hated black or grey interiors.although I'm not too fond of fabric beige! leather is more like it.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 15th September 2008 at 17:03.
Old 15th September 2008, 17:03   #12
BHPian

As rightly mentioned ,it looks good until it returns from the regular services,It will be anything but beige,i spend atleast 3 hours after every service to clean the beige interiors on my SX-4 , i am tired of screaming at Popular motors. They just turn it to black!
Old 15th September 2008, 17:06   #13
BHPian

I would take black any day.

Beige is nice to look at initially but it seems too 'upmarket' and pretentious to me...you always feel afraid of making it dirty or staining it, its almost like you are visiting your in-laws.

There is something nice and comforting in being cosseted in an all-black cabin - perhaps its primeval urge from the days cavemen could withdraw into their cool dark cave to relax.
Old 15th September 2008, 17:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

I don't think beige is suited to our dusty environment. I prefer all black interiors. The dual tone black-beige interiors are comparatively more acceptable.

Still, the biggest problem with beige is you can't dress up the interiors in the colour of your choice. When I was looking for leather upholstery for my SX4, I wanted burnt orange, but had to stick to beige because the insides would end up looking too colourfull. A black or white exterior with all black interior would look fab in burnt orange leather upholstery.
Old 15th September 2008, 17:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I absolutely love beige interiors. It is my favorite interior colour followed by full black. Worst on my list is all grey. I agree with Sahil, manufacturers ought to give options.
I believe giving options for type of interior is an overhead for the manufacturer and also it will effect the production capacity with delay in delivery.
Options are good for ultra luxury segment but for mass production its a cost involving segment for manufacturer.

Most Viewed