Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 13:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

and be careful about the fuels. CRDI's are pretty sensitive to bad fuels and employ elaborate filtering systems. But still, you dont want to take any chances

PS: turbojet diesel has been reported to cause a lot of smoke with most diesels. I've switched to regular Diesel. I believe Team Bhp recommends regular fuel anyway

@ phamilyman. there are threads on that all over team bhp . here's some
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...nes-turbo.html (Precautions / Maintenance for Diesel Engines with Turbo)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-solution.html (Idling the Turbo engines before switching off.. Could this be a solution?)

Last edited by greenhorn : 16th September 2008 at 13:35.
Old 16th September 2008, 14:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Remember to idle your turbo for 40 - 60 seconds just after starting her, as well as prior to shutting off.
Is this applicable for VGT turbos as well?
Old 16th September 2008, 15:44   #18
BHPian

But sometimes my 1 month old car feels sluggish, especially while going over speedbreakers in 2nd gear. why is it like that ?
Old 16th September 2008, 15:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Too low rpm's, turbo lag or below turbo threshold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
But sometimes my 1 month old car feels sluggish, especially while going over speedbreakers in 2nd gear. why is it like that ?
Old 16th September 2008, 15:52   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What can go wrong if turbo isn't idled.

I am asking because how can one find out the same and how much to mark down
Turbo and 1 minute idling. Recommended for all turbo-charged cars.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2008, 16:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. I was vaguely aware of the same. It now makes sense. But I wonder why they didn't solve it with an improved turbo oil, than a timer?

My question is rephrased.
a. How can one find out if oil coking is occuring without much headache? ie idling not done properly.
b. Should one notice *some* damage, how much should one mark down a used car price by, to cover oneself appropriately?

Cheers
Old 16th September 2008, 16:23   #22
BHPian

It is a matter of getting used to the turbo lag at low rpms, which will take you some time if you have driven only petrol cars. Hence the low end pick-up may seem less and the car sluggish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
BTW... in that particular model I had to wait for the ignition coil or something indicator to glow before the car would start. Is that a problem with CRDIs too?
No, that is not there in CRDis.
Old 16th September 2008, 19:15   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
a. How can one find out if oil coking is occuring without much headache? ie idling not done properly.
b. Should one notice *some* damage, how much should one mark down a used car price by, to cover oneself appropriately?
The best way to gauge a turbo's health is by tearing it down and having it inspected. Not practical though, no seller is gonna let you do this to his car!
Old 17th September 2008, 13:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

The Scorpio's M2DI engine doesnt need idling. Earlier Boleros with same engine had stickers asking the driver to idle for a minute before starting moving or before switching of the engine.
Old 17th September 2008, 14:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Rule #4 : When you are cruising at 60 in top gear and want to accelerate, dont downshift, just floor it
Very true. This is one big difference between petrol engines & CRDi. The torque is amazing.
Old 17th September 2008, 14:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari View Post
We are talkin gof the latest CRDI engines.Recommend a test drive in one of them. There's no noise inside the car and no vibrations at all. This is a steroe-type view of Diesels. You've got to drive the latest tech to change your view.
I was driving my friend's Swift VDi and his music system concked out. That's when I realized that the engine is not silent at all. It's just that you cannot hear them inside the cabin(with the windows rolled up and music on). They still clatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Before the gurus chime in, I ll give you my 2 cents.
Rule #4 : When you are cruising at 60 in top gear and want to accelerate, dont downshift, just floor it
This depends on the Powerband of the car and the rpm at which the turbo kicks in. Flooring will not work as well as shifting down and bringing it into the power band. And flooring in 5th gear(on low rpm) on a diesel is no fun!

But I would like to know what is the lifespan of a turbo?? When my indigo was new I used to feel the turbo kick in. But over the years that feeling reduced and now(after 5yrs) I feel there is no turbo at all...
Old 18th September 2008, 13:37   #27
BHPian

Is there anyway to overcome turbo lag on low rpms ?
Old 18th September 2008, 16:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Is there anyway to overcome turbo lag on low rpms ?
Simple don't stay long in low RPMs always be in one gear lower than what is recommended by the manufacturer for the speed you are going.
Old 19th September 2008, 14:47   #29
BHPian

My car has covered around 6000 kms, should I start using System D ?
Old 19th September 2008, 15:50   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
GSMINC : ... car feels sluggish, especially while going over speedbreakers in 2nd gear. why is it like that ?
Maintain your gear-speed ratio's, and you will not have that problem. Basically means that when you slow down for that speed-breaker, the speed you are at is more suitable for a 1st gear, than the 2nd.
Quote:
DieselFan : ... always be in one gear lower than what is recommended by the manufacturer for the speed you are going.
DF, actually people are normally in one gear higher than what the manufacturer recommends. If you notice, say at a speedbreaker, a person is typically in 2nd. But for the speed at which he is, the manufacturer would have recommended 1st gear.

Last edited by condor : 19th September 2008 at 15:54.

Most Viewed