Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2008, 11:24   #76
BHPian

I agree with Rajneeesh

I dont understand what FE is expected from a Crossover with 100+ bhp power and 16 inch wheels? So, it really beats me when people (most of them who have not been near an SX4) hammer it for low FE. My SX4 constantly gives me an FE of 12 and I dont really drive like a monk.

My company uses Corolla / Innova / SX4 as taxis, does that mean it will impact any buyer's choice?
Old 6th December 2008, 13:29   #77
Senior - BHPian

The problem with SX4 is not FE alone (presumably an FE of 10 in City conditions). The problem is apart from features, there car doesnt really stand out in any category. Here are some of the problems with the car:

1) It doesnt command snob value... its considered a poor mans big car (no offense meant)
2) FE of around 10 kmpl in City with AC
3) Below par finishing
4) Not fun to drive. Which is really sad, ppl are willing to forgo the FE only if they are getting something in return, but a car with mediocre FE which is not fun to drive mmmmm leaves ppl high and dry
5) Motor is noisy at high RPMs
6) The features that made this car a hit are now available across other models like Fiesta, Aveo, ANHC for that matter even A Star
7) Interior quality vis a vis NHC (not the ANHC)
8) Suspension is nothing spcl. The ride can get bumpy at the rear.
9) The car looks horrible from the back, the muffler can be seen hanging in the underbody. Its almost someone put up their shorts to shi...

Features still are the major USP of this car, apart from that its just not there in any respect. If only Maruti brings in a Deisel motor you could see some excitement for this car, else I feel it might go the Baleno way....

Last edited by aseem : 6th December 2008 at 13:35.
Old 6th December 2008, 13:31   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
I agree with Rajneeesh

I dont understand what FE is expected from a Crossover with 100+ bhp power and 16 inch wheels? So, it really beats me when people (most of them who have not been near an SX4) hammer it for low FE. My SX4 constantly gives me an FE of 12 and I dont really drive like a monk.

My company uses Corolla / Innova / SX4 as taxis, does that mean it will impact any buyer's choice?
Firstly SX4 is not sold as a cross over in India. Secondaly all cars in this segment barring Aveo now have 100 + bhp. Maruti did cut corners by not giving the Indian version V-Tec technology. So the lack of horses shows in the pulling power of such a heavy car. A car with less FE which is fun to drive would do, but a car that drives like an Uncles car, and gives poor FE too, is a disaster in the making.
Old 6th December 2008, 13:33   #79
BHPian

Quote:
My SX4 constantly gives me an FE of 12 and I dont really drive like a monk.
My SX4 Zxi model gives me an FE of 10-11 in city with A/C on 9000 on the odo.
Old 6th December 2008, 16:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

Some of your points are too vague and invalid.

Point 2: I get 12Km/L with 100% ac in city
Point 4: Well not sure, may be your personal opinion, but this car is a real fun to drive.
Point 6: Pls do the cost comparison as well
Point 9: I guess you just wrote this to increase your points

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The problem with SX4 is not FE alone (presumably an FE of 10 in City conditions). The problem is apart from features, there car doesnt really stand out in any category. Here are some of the problems with the car:

1) It doesnt command snob value... its considered a poor mans big car (no offense meant)
3) Below par finishing
4) Not fun to drive. Which is really sad, ppl are willing to forgo the FE only if they are getting something in return, but a car with mediocre FE which is not fun to drive mmmmm leaves ppl high and dry
6) The features that made this car a hit are now available across other models like Fiesta, Aveo, ANHC for that matter even A Star
9) The car looks horrible from the back, the muffler can be seen hanging in the underbody. Its almost someone put up their shorts to shi...

Features still are the major USP of this car, apart from that its just not there in any respect. If only Maruti brings in a Deisel motor you could see some excitement for this car, else I feel it might go the Baleno way....
Old 6th December 2008, 16:44   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post

Point 2: I get 12Km/L with 100% ac in city
Point 4: Well not sure, may be your personal opinion, but this car is a real fun to drive.
Point 6: Pls do the cost comparison as well
Point 9: I guess you just wrote this to increase your points
With my personal experience:

Point 2: I get 10Km.L with 100% AC in City
Point 4: It really lacks the fun to drive element. (The only driving advantage is the high seating position).
Old 6th December 2008, 16:54   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
Point 4: It really lacks the fun to drive element. (The only driving advantage is the high seating position).
Can you please explain, what is your definition of Fun-to-drive element?
Old 6th December 2008, 17:02   #83
BHPian

Quote:

Can you please explain, what is your definition of fun to drive? Do you drive other sedan regularly along side SX4?

Quote:
The way the car takes coners, steering feedback and driving comfort. I own Ford Ikon 1.6 and SX4 Zxi ! I on and off switch between Ikon & SX4.

Last edited by mail4loys : 6th December 2008 at 17:03.
Old 6th December 2008, 17:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me explain the fun to drive element.... I drive the Swift, and when I took my freinds SX4 to Jaipur (one-way) I felt I was driving my Swift. I didnt really feel the 100 horses. On the contrary I loved the OHC power, and not only that, I loved its handling. Even Fiesta (which is not a scorcher in my books) scores in handling over SX4.
The rear of SX4 is really bad imo, and many in the forum agree and have voted SX4 as one of the cars with an ugliest butt.
Regarding you getting 12 kmpl.... well I dont want to debate that as of course we are all possesive of the cars we own. But according to most unbiased reviews the car does give 10 kmpl with AC in City and not many in this forum argue this fact.
Old 6th December 2008, 18:24   #85
BHPian

Quote:
The rear of SX4 is really bad imo, and many in the forum agree and have voted SX4 as one of the cars with an ugliest butt. .
This is subjective, apart from a few cars which are down right bad from design point of view, rest of the cars can be debated. There are a lot of folks who say the ANHC rear is ugly too

Quote:
Regarding you getting 12 kmpl.... well I dont want to debate that as of course we are all possesive of the cars we own. But according to most unbiased reviews the car does give 10 kmpl with AC in City and not many in this forum argue this fact.
I maintain a full log of the kms and the petrol fill and i don't see any reason to jack up the mileage just to prove something.
Old 6th December 2008, 19:00   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is subjective, apart from a few cars which are down right bad from design point of view, rest of the cars can be debated. There are a lot of folks who say the ANHC rear is ugly too
BTW I started the poll for ugliest butt, and I find both ANHC and SX4 having bad butts, you can check my votes on the poll. Just caz ANHC is bad, doesnt mean SX4 is better, in my books its even worse. Spcly as you can see the underbody of the car and muffler hanging!

Quote:
I maintain a full log of the kms and the petrol fill and i don't see any reason to jack up the mileage just to prove something.

The very fact that you are vehlmently debating this suggests you are here to prove something....
Old 6th December 2008, 23:05   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me explain the fun to drive element.... I drive the Swift, and when I took my freinds SX4 to Jaipur (one-way) I felt I was driving my Swift. I didnt really feel the 100 horses. On the contrary I loved the OHC power, and not only that, I loved its handling. Even Fiesta (which is not a scorcher in my books) scores in handling over SX4.
The rear of SX4 is really bad imo, and many in the forum agree and have voted SX4 as one of the cars with an ugliest butt.
I still do not understand the logic behind Fun-to-drive, other than its not as good as others. Right?

What has possessiveness got to do with FE? FE is fact with numbers and can not be changed by possessiveness.

Quote:
. Just caz ANHC is bad, doesnt mean SX4 is better, in my books its even worse. Spcly as you can see the underbody of the car and muffler hanging!
So most of these are your opinions and not the facts.

Quote:
The very fact that you are vehlmently debating this suggests you are here to prove something....
And the reason that why are we debating is that you do not own SX4 and still have to say wrong facts about it and we own SX4. So who are in better situation to put the facts?

I understand that these are your personal opinion so should not be presented as general opinion

Last edited by rkbharat : 6th December 2008 at 23:11.
Old 6th December 2008, 23:18   #88
BHPian

Dude! you have been gojng to every thread and blasting every car/carmaker out there! There are no perfect cars mate (The OHC came close though , all have some pros and cons)

And most of your points dont make much sense?! (pts 4 &6). Also don't quote subjective reasons like 'snob value' as a problem! Sheeesh!!

Elito

Quote:

3) Below par finishing

Last edited by Elito11 : 6th December 2008 at 23:20.
Old 6th December 2008, 23:35   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
And most of your points dont make much sense?! (pts 4 &6). Also don't quote subjective reasons like 'snob value' as a problem! Sheeesh!!

Elito
Snob value does matter in C segment. Thats probably one reason that ppl choose to flock the City over other cars due to Honda badge. It might not be a reason for you, but its a reason that potentially many buyers in this segment consider. To take that out of account would to be in Denial. I am not stating its good or bad, but its definitely a factor. Thats why ppl can pay more for a car like Fabia just caz it gives them the snob value, other wise the engine in Fabia is nothing to right home about...

Quote:
I still do not understand the logic behind Fun-to-drive, other than its not as good as others. Right?
Dude please list the cars you have driven and are comparing SX4 against...

Quote:
What has possessiveness got to do with FE? FE is fact with numbers and can not be changed by possessiveness.
I am glad you get an FE of 12 in City with 100% AC. Most independant magazines and many ppl in the forums DONT! Please do not ignore what others have to say. You can scroll through this thread itself to find SX4 owners stating they get an FE of 10.

Quote:
So most of these are your opinions and not the facts.
Well its my set of facts based on independant journals and neutral SX4 owners vis a vis yours which I take with a pinch of salt as they are coming from someone trying to justify his purchase. I will just leave it at that.

Quote:
And the reason that why are we debating is that you do not own SX4 and still have to say wrong facts about it and we own SX4. So who are in better situation to put the facts?
Who is this "WE" by the way that you are talking about??? Do you represent a CLAN of SX4 owners that I dont know about

Dude I have no intentions to buy a SX4. I have driven the car quite extensively and for me it doesnt fit the bill.

Quote:
I understand that these are your personal opinion so should not be presented as general opinion
Its my opinion no doubt, but its not far from how the market feels about this car. This is reflected in the poor sales of this car off late. Loads of features but nothing else to right home about. I have no further arguments becaz quite obviously its falling on deaf ears.

Last edited by aseem : 6th December 2008 at 23:40.
Old 6th December 2008, 23:41   #90
Senior - BHPian

Sorry aseem, no point in debating with you any more.

Quote:
Snob value does matter in C segment. Thats probably one reason that ppl choose to flock the City over other cars due to Honda badge. It might not be a reason for you, but its a reason that potentially many buyers in this segment consider. To take that out of account would to be in Denial. I am not stating its good or bad, but its definitely a factor. Thats why ppl can pay more for a car like Fabia just caz it gives them the snob value, other wise the engine in Fabia is nothing to right home about...

Dude please list the cars you have driven and are comparing SX4 against...

I am glad you get an FE of 12 in City with 100% AC. Most independant magazines and many ppl in the forums DONT! Please do not ignore what others have to say. You can scroll through this thread itself to find SX4 owners stating they get an FE of 10.

Well its my set of facts based on independant journals and neutral SX4 owners vis a vis yours which I take with a pinch of salt as they are coming from someone trying to justify his purchase. I will just leave it at that.

Who is this "WE" by the way that you are talking about??? Do you represent a CLAN of SX4 owners that I dont know about

Dude I have no intentions to buy a SX4. I have driven the car quite extensively and for me it doesnt fit the bill.

Its my opinion no doubt, but its not far from how the market feels about this car. This is reflected in the poor sales of this car off late. Loads of features but nothing else to right home about. I have no further arguments becaz quite obviously its falling on deaf ears.

Most Viewed