Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 12:46   #31
BHPian

I don't think Maruti might have anticipated the cannibalization of SX4 which has happened as a result of the introduction of Dzire. They tried to squeeze in a gap between the Swift and the SX4, but that hasn't quite worked out the way they wanted.
Old 19th September 2008, 12:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
I don't think Maruti might have anticipated the cannibalization of SX4 which has happened as a result of the introduction of Dzire. They tried to squeeze in a gap between the Swift and the SX4, but that hasn't quite worked out the way they wanted.
Then, its time to bring in their SX4 diesel version.

MARUTI, you listening?
Old 19th September 2008, 12:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

MARUTI, you listening?
Yes, MSIL is listening to you MJ. If they bring in diesel verson, then they will choke. You know why, right?
Old 19th September 2008, 13:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

For God's sakes, Maruti, please stop listening and go work.
We're tired of your 8 month waiting periods!
Old 19th September 2008, 15:19   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
For God's sakes, Maruti, please stop listening and go work.
We're tired of your 8 month waiting periods!
MUL's response:
"Thanks for your interest in our product, Nitrous. Its customers such as you who are resposible for the waiting periods which we advertise with glee these days. Till the others catch up, we shall continue so."
Old 20th September 2008, 00:49   #36
BHPian

Oh boy! we have a good discussion going on. What's next in few months time? They will phase off SX4 because of the sales really going down?
Old 20th September 2008, 01:17   #37
BHPian

Maruti will never phase out any vehicle so soon even if they sell 3 units of it a month. Remember Baleno, present WagonR (almost a decade old) and brought back from the grave Estilo (almost 2 decades old), Esteem (3 decades old Geo Metro of USA). The only good model of Suzuki has been the Swift which has met with amazing success, but after driving the Indica Vista last week on a test drive, I can safely say Maruti is worse than even Tata in quality. Infact, Tata has just upped the ante with excellent Fiat engineering into it which makes it great. I might actually strongly consider buying an Indica Vista in the future as an additional vehicle (over a Hyundai) but never a Maruti after I saw the plastic quality in my friends Swift LDi dashboard and heard the rattles. Maruti will soon be just a cheap value for money brand for the desi "mileage kitna hai" janta and unfortunately there are scores of them.

Last edited by abhi1309 : 20th September 2008 at 01:21.
Old 20th September 2008, 08:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Maruti will never phase out any vehicle so soon even if they sell 3 units of it a month. Remember Baleno, present WagonR (almost a decade old) and brought back from the grave Estilo (almost 2 decades old), Esteem (3 decades old Geo Metro of USA). The only good model of Suzuki has been the Swift which has met with amazing success, but after driving the Indica Vista last week on a test drive, I can safely say Maruti is worse than even Tata in quality. Infact, Tata has just upped the ante with excellent Fiat engineering into it which makes it great. I might actually strongly consider buying an Indica Vista in the future as an additional vehicle (over a Hyundai) but never a Maruti after I saw the plastic quality in my friends Swift LDi dashboard and heard the rattles. Maruti will soon be just a cheap value for money brand for the desi "mileage kitna hai" janta and unfortunately there are scores of them.
haha maruti
Anyways that's really strange to hear that tata cars are superior than the hyundai cars. Fine! they have fiat's multijet i guess. But still Hyundai is still ahead of Tata's cars in terms of raw built. But yes, they don't have a good diesel car in terms of hatchbacks. Getz is there with Verna's engine. But ABS not there for that poor little car. i20 diesel has a big expectation, so as i10 diesel.
Old 20th September 2008, 08:05   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

MARUTI, you listening?
I agree. It should be a matter of time. But I also suspect that both SX4 and Hyundai Verna will get a minor facelift sometime next year. This should be in response to the new G3HC, Fiat Linea etc, so as to make an attempt to generate a fresh wave of enthusiasm.
Old 20th September 2008, 10:56   #40
BHPian

Gangsta, heard about the rule that you are not supposed to blindly write good things about the brand you own just kidding..

Anyways, when you slam the doors on the Indica Vista you'll know what I am talking about plus the way the suspension handles bad roads is more like driving a cadillac eldorado or something. The car feels huge. I completely respect Tata now after being a Tata basher/hater from since the original Indica was released. Go drive a Vista and you'll know why.

But its just the Vista as of now and hopefully others will follow, like the new Indigo and the crossover, which will have these genes. Overall Hyundai has of course been a better brand.

Last edited by abhi1309 : 20th September 2008 at 10:59.
Old 20th September 2008, 11:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29
MUL's response:
"Thanks for your interest in our product, Nitrous. Its customers such as you who are resposible for the waiting periods which we advertise with glee these days. Till the others catch up, we shall continue so."
That was hilarious, benny.
Old 20th September 2008, 12:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Why are we arguing about this? pulsar778 has posted model and city wise sales of all cars. From his excel sheet, SX4 sales from Jan to Aug are 2932, 1953, 1877, 1541, 1912, 1681, 1048 and 2292 units. As expected, NHC is routing SX4 month after month by a HUGE margin. SX4 sales are quite volatile but the car seems to be holding onto an average of about 1700-2000 units/month. Not bad, I say.

Last edited by amit : 20th September 2008 at 12:03.
Old 20th September 2008, 14:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Gangsta, heard about the rule that you are not supposed to blindly write good things about the brand you own just kidding..

Anyways, when you slam the doors on the Indica Vista you'll know what I am talking about plus the way the suspension handles bad roads is more like driving a cadillac eldorado or something. The car feels huge. I completely respect Tata now after being a Tata basher/hater from since the original Indica was released. Go drive a Vista and you'll know why.

But its just the Vista as of now and hopefully others will follow, like the new Indigo and the crossover, which will have these genes. Overall Hyundai has of course been a better brand.
haha i own maruti too bro. but I'm really impressed by Hyundai VFM Cars with Raw Built Quality i.e the way they used torsion beams in accent and elantra makes me feel safer than other brands in their class.

Last edited by Gangsta : 20th September 2008 at 14:08.
Old 20th September 2008, 15:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Maruti will never phase out any vehicle so soon even if they sell 3 units of it a month. Remember Baleno.
Mitsubishi Lancer, Hyundai Accent and Suzuki Baleno had 2/5 stars in Euro NCAP crash test. Both, the Lancer and Accent had airbags and Baleno did not have airbags, still it scored 2 stars. So we can now assume, that their crash worthiness was equal. Baleno had better fuel efficinecy, performance, handling, ride quality, space and A/C than Accent and was more than a match for Lancer. And Baleno had just started doing reasonable as compared to its earlier sales performance and it was replaced by SX4.

Quote:

present WagonR (almost a decade old) and brought back from the grave Estilo (almost 2 decades old), Esteem (3 decades old Geo Metro of USA).
The Zen Estilo is based on Wagon R sold in India and in fact Indian Alto, Indian Estilo and Indian Wagon R share the same basic platform. Estilo in any case is not more than a decade old. Zen Estilo was badge engineered and sold as Nissan Moco in Japan and sales were reported somewhat higher than expected.

Quote:

The only good model of Suzuki has been the Swift which has met with amazing success, but after driving the Indica Vista last week on a test drive, I can safely say Maruti is worse than even Tata in quality. Infact, Tata has just upped the ante with excellent Fiat engineering into it which makes it great. I might actually strongly consider buying an Indica Vista in the future as an additional vehicle (over a Hyundai) but never a Maruti after I saw the plastic quality in my friends Swift LDi dashboard and heard the rattles. Maruti will soon be just a cheap value for money brand for the desi "mileage kitna hai" janta and unfortunately there are scores of them.
What is Euro NCAP score of Indica Vista ? Swift has 4/5, with standard six airbags. Yes, we dont have airbags in the same quantity, and I feel that the interior finishing and build quality is not good, but the chassis is not compromised one. And also the reason behind Swift's success is Maurti's fantastic After Sales And Service ( A.S & S. ) which Tata is not able to provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
From his ( pulsar778 ) excel sheet, SX4 sales from Jan to Aug are 2932, 1953, 1877, 1541, 1912, 1681, 1048 and 2292 units. As expected, NHC is routing SX4 month after month by a HUGE margin. SX4 sales are quite volatile but the car seems to be holding onto an average of about 1700-2000 units/month. Not bad, I say.
Agree with you. With just a petrol motor, these sales figures are quite good. As compared to the sales of Baleno, which were struck at just less than 1000 ( or even less ) for ever, these figures are good. Here I would like to add that Verna is able to survive and clock sales because of its diesel motor, TATA is alive in the market because of its diesel motors and Ford is again has advantage of diesel motor. Its only Honda and Suzuki in this segment that are doing great and good figures respectively with just pertol motors.

SX4, IMO, is a great car that is free of rattles like Swift has to face. The motor does incredible job of pushing the 1200kg body and feels much more than 102 bhp in the mid range. Its quite fast on highway, doing good speeds and maintaining them because of midrange ( agreed, above 160, it doesnt feel the same acceleration that it has in 100-160 range ), no doubt helped by the suspension and ground clearence.

Again, IMO, the sales have gone down only because of the brand " Maruti " as people associate Maruti with Maruti 800 and now upto some extent Swift. But this has given serious limitations to what Suzuki can do. Despite the fact that its product is much better than the G2HC ( any euro NCAP ratings available ? We had a seperate thread for its build quality ) in many areas, they are not able to maintain the lead. Suzuki needs another brand with seperate dealer and service network for its cars in the 6 lakh+ segment to succeed. Image is ruining the sales. However, for now Suzuki has to just plonk in a diesel from Swift with Variable Geometry Turbocharger to again bring the sales up.
Old 20th September 2008, 15:37   #45
BHPian

The SX4 was the car which really reviewed the mid size segment... many cars came and died of trying to grab sales of the Honda City... When everyone had accepted defeat trying get the NHC of the Throne of the best mid size car in the country ever made, Suzuki took up this challenge. Bare in mind this is from a a manufacturer who are basically small car manufacturers. Then entered the Suzuki SX4 , which created fears even in the mind of the people from Honda of a challenger in the making.

The SX4 also made sure Honda even had to hurry its plans to launch a replacement in India for the City. Sx4 was the only car which gave value for money when compared to the other cars in the segment. SX4 sales are gone down a but, but thats due to the whole Indian automotive industry going down. SX4, City and Aveo are all petrol cars, and if we compared figured we can know that SX4 sales has always been in between 1700 to 2000 units per month which is really good. The Aveo hardly sells half of that. SX4 has infused liveliness in the segment which was missed for the past many year... Way to go Suzuki... lead the way... make sure other follow your footsteps

Most Viewed