Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2008, 22:29   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
So if we run the numbers

The manual transmition comparison between the new city and old city shows that OTR wise there is difference of 80k. Through corporate discounts you can get discount upto 40k on GXI. So in total the actual price difference is 1.2lkh OTR between the old and new one.

I think this will make sure that resell of the curent GXi will not take a major hit for 2-3 years as new one is already priced higher OTR.
What a comparison!! Totally fooling other people I would say. Before SX4 was launched, Honda City 100bhp VTEC without any ABS and Air bags was sold around 10 lakhs. They after SX4, they added a few stuffs without much change in price. Now, ANHC with all the bells and whistles except for the alloys much below 10L and still people don't seem to be content with it or at least not see the benefit.

No wonder, Honda city was sold in so good numbers. I guess there are a lot of uninformed decisions taken.
Old 29th September 2008, 01:16   #302
BHPian

i personally feel, NHC honda city GXI has better interior than ANHC (fabric).

Also the FE is lower than NHC.
Old 29th September 2008, 09:40   #303
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Fiesta does not have airbags
small correction... the fiesta sxi and s version infact do have driver and passenger AIRBAGS.

From what I have discovered that at 8.3 lacs (Fiesta S) and 8.15 - 9.3 lacs (SXI petrol and diesel) the fiesta comes loaded with every thing possible for the price. the fiesta S seems very good VFM against the ANHC S MT when you consider that the on road price difference is Rs 1,44,000 (Ahmedabad on road)
Old 29th September 2008, 09:57   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
From what I have discovered that at 8.3 lacs (Fiesta S) and 8.15 - 9.3 lacs (SXI petrol and diesel) the fiesta comes loaded with every thing possible for the price. the fiesta S seems very good VFM against the ANHC S MT when you consider that the on road price difference is Rs 1,44,000 (Ahmedabad on road)
Very true but what we are paying for additionally for the ANHC is the bullet-proof reliability, peace of mind, quality of interiors and better *** compared to the Ford. However, I do agree that the difference is substantial.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:22   #305
JRD
BHPian

@ samir:
yep I have to agree about the peace of mind factor and also the FE will be better then ford. (by 1 or 2 kms)
But I have 2 honda city's NHC vtec and OHC Type I and I have to say the A.S.S. is not upto the mark. Also the maintainence cost is quite high for a c segment car. for eg: my nhc vtec at 25k - service bills average is Rs.5500 and this time it was Rs.6300 while on the other hand my corolla has done 68k and never has the service bill gone above Rs3000. Plus I have to send the honda back atleast 2 times for the things they were suppose to fix in the first place.

I asked the ford guy to give me a service detail chart and to my surprise for the diesel all the services till 40k are around Rs 2800, plus they have service contracts that are cheaper then honda that cover everything except accidents.

So when looking at it side by side,
Rs 1,44,000 (Price difference on road)
+ Rs 9000 (Rs 3000 service charge difference thrice a year lets say {ford 3000 and honda 6000})
+ Rs. 20,000 discount on the ford(Dealer is willing to give me)
+ 1 month wait (Provided i book it in this week) for the ANHC and no demo car till october end vs 15 days for delivery of the ford.
= GRAND TOTAL Rs. 1,73,000 difference over the AHNC

So if I sell my 5 speed M800 for Rs.1,00,000 and add it to this difference, I can get a Spark LT (Fully loaded). SO TECHNICALLY 2 BEST in class cars for the price of 1 ANHC

Adding to all these things the fiesta S comes with great looking 15 inch rims with low profile tires, stiffened suspension, body kit and after driving it I have to say it handles beautifully.

Just something to think about when booking the ANHC.

-JRD
Old 29th September 2008, 11:41   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
But I have 2 honda city's NHC vtec and OHC Type I and I have to say the A.S.S. is not upto the mark. Also the maintainence cost is quite high for a c segment car. for eg: my nhc vtec at 25k - service bills average is Rs.5500 and this time it was Rs.6300. Plus I have to send the honda back atleast 2 times for the things they were suppose to fix in the first place.

I asked the ford guy to give me a service detail chart and to my surprise for the diesel all the services till 40k are around Rs 2800, plus they have service contracts that are cheaper then honda that cover everything except accidents.

So when looking at it side by side,
Rs 1,44,000 (Price difference on road)
+ Rs 9000 (Rs 3000 service charge difference thrice a year lets say {ford 3000 and honda 6000})
+ Rs. 20,000 discount on the ford(Dealer is willing to give me)
+ 1 month wait (Provided i book it in this week) for the ANHC and no demo car till october end vs 15 days for delivery of the ford.
= GRAND TOTAL Rs. 1,73,000 difference over the AHNC

So if I sell my 5 speed M800 for Rs.1,00,000 and add it to this difference, I can get a Spark LT (Fully loaded). SO TECHNICALLY 2 BEST in class cars for the price of 1 ANHC

Adding to all these things the fiesta S comes with great looking 15 inch rims with low profile tires, stiffened suspension, body kit and after driving it I have to say it handles beautifully.

Just something to think about when booking the ANHC.

-JRD
JRD, buddy, spare yourself the hardwork. No matter what you say, people are not going to stop repeating about the excellent after sales service and cheap spares from Honda. Like a parrot, people keep talking about these things even though many times they may not have expereinced the 'excellent' *** first hand.

Disclaimer: This is not directed anyone specific. Please don't take this personally!

By the way, I find all the comments about how Fiesta, Verna, SX4 and Linea will find the going tough against the G3HC and how all these cars are doomed pretty odd. Even the NHC was outselling these cars easily. What chance do these competant cars have against the G3HC? If it wasn't for the diesel, Fiesta and Verna would have been wiped out by now and if the SX4 didn't have the tag of Maruti-Suzuki on it's backside, it would have met the same fate by now.

Last edited by amit : 29th September 2008 at 11:46.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:51   #307
Senior - BHPian

@JRD- I dont own a Honda but as per what it looks like most of them do not have much problems with its service. As per reviews in the forum most members complain of Ford A** which mainly complies of expensive spares. But yeah gotta agree Fiesta is one heck of a car. Its just that most of us have so much faith in the H badge(including me). We ll have to see how many people are ready to pay 1.4 l more for ANHC compared to others.

Few things Honda should have done:-

1. Test Drive cars should be available. 15 days for a test drive car is quite annoying. And another 1 month waiting after that ( E version deliveries only in Jan- Feb is too much) . I think this is surely taking us for a ride here. That too few dealers asking for advance of 1 lac for booking ANHC. Didnt expect this from Honda.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:02   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Test Drive cars should be available. 15 days for a test drive car is quite annoying. And another 1 month waiting after that ( E version deliveries only in Jan- Feb is too much) . I think this is surely taking us for a ride here. That too few dealers asking for advance of 1 lac for booking ANHC. Didnt expect this from Honda.
Seems like Honda has done a soft launch of the car.

Remember, on another thread when someone said that Fiat was going to do a soft launch of the Linea in Delhi with deliveries slated to start after two months, everyone went ballastic on that theory. Somehow, people don't have problem this time round!

As for the 1 lac deposit, you will be surprised how many people are actually to end up doing that. Honda dealers have the cheek to demand that kind of deposit because they know people will line up and pay. And they will pay up happily too!

Last edited by amit : 29th September 2008 at 12:13.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:11   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I have 2 honda city's NHC vtec and OHC Type I and I have to say the A.S.S. is not upto the mark. Also the maintainence cost is quite high for a c segment car. for eg: my nhc vtec at 25k - service bills average is Rs.5500 and this time it was Rs.6300 while on the other hand my corolla has done 68k and never has the service bill gone above Rs3000.
If your regular service bill is averaging around 5-6K, you haven't been paying attention to the particulars of the bill and prob being taken for a ride.

A regular service for our 2001 OHC VTEC costs around 1000-1500. The only time i paid 6095 was during the 40K service (major service). The 45K regular service costed only 1090 bucks.

So the next time you get a bill for 5K, ask the service manager why it is almost 500% more than it should be.

As for the A.S.S, that varies from dealer to dealer, so maybe you did have a bad experience. My experience has been very good since the Honda guys used to drive down to Hubli every 3 months for their service camps, so not having a Honda dealership in town wasn't such a headache. Now we've finally got one.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 29th September 2008 at 12:19.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:29   #310
JRD
BHPian

@ amit: exactly my point about the excellent service. there are so many people in this forum as well as people generally (Who havent used a honda or experienced the service) who keep insisting that honda service is by far the best and so on, when the reality is that i for myself have experienced after 11 years of using honda cars that the service is actually not that great, Toyota, Maruti and even hyundai can easily provide equal if not better service in regards to cost and quality of the service.

As per the dealers demanding Rs. 1,00,000 as booking without even having a demo car to even look at goes to say that the dealers are exploiting the trust (or mistrust if thats a word) that people have in the Honda brand.

Ps: i am not saying don't buy a honda but just pointing out some significant things to consider (like Rs 1.4 lacs)when you are spending your hard earned money. I am doing this because i have to buy 2 cars at the same time. Anyone who is comfortable paying that 1.4 lacs for the ANHC after seeing the dazzling pictures only, at the end of the day its their money and decision that counts

Cheers
JRD.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:37   #311
JRD
BHPian

@ shan2nu:
yep being taken for a ride is the best way to describe it. But till emrald honda opens up in ahmedabad (shortly), I have to go through what I have experience for the last 11 years.
Trust me I ask for every possible detail of charges from the service manager and a couple of months back even the head of customer relations and all I get is a politically correct answer. The 6300 for this time was (25 k or 30 k service+wiper blades+injector cleaning and a complain that the rear boot lid doesnt open with the key(which by the way has been on the job card since the first service and still doesnt work)+tax and an uncleaned car.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:51   #312
Senior - BHPian

Hi JRD,

> for eg: my nhc vtec at 25k - service bills average is Rs.5500 and this time > it was Rs.6300

Could you give the details of those bills? It should be of value to other VTEC users.

The IDSi NHC at 20000kms service was 2599 as per post in another thread! The same thread (link below) mentions 1000kms - 0, 5000 - 635, 10000 - 739, 15000 - 1783.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post815161

Can the difference be so much?

My CVT maintenance costs are:

1000 - 0, 5000 - 675 , 10000 - 827 and 15000 - 1996.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:10   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Seems like Honda has done a soft launch of the car.
There's no doubt about this. I got a call this morning from a local dealer. He said even brochures weren't available (I had requested an e-brochure on the Honda website). Honda has tried to keep potential customers interested. The may be trying to pip other manufacturers who are sure to launch their cars between now and Diwali.

What Honda may try to achieve by this is the kind of madness that was witnessed when NHC was launched several years ago - was it a 2+ month waiting period?

Honda wouldn't normally do this unless they are seriously concerned about something. Is it competition? I would say, don't rush in to book a City. You have more choices than in 2003/04. Just wait till Nov/Dec - you might probably see what's scaring Honda!

Last edited by CBlazer : 29th September 2008 at 13:12.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:29   #314
RGP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
...Honda wouldn't normally do this unless they are seriously concerned about something. Is it competition? ...
It could be that they are trying to gauge the reaction so that they can plan the Jazz launch accordingly (i.e. Engine choices and pricing). Car and Bike show on NDTV over the weekend said that the new plant would not be completely ready till late 2009, but also said Jazz would be here in mid-09. Yes, obviously they are influenced by competitors, but seeing the response to the ANHC will definitely help them plan their own capacities better for next year.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:47   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
we are paying for additionally for the ANHC is the bullet-proof reliability, peace of mind, quality of interiors and better *** compared to the Ford.
As someone who owned both Honda and Ford cars, I feel there is no difference in the reliability, especially with new Ford models. On the other hand I had few issues with NHC. One that I remember well is, the passenger side power wndow stopped working on second day and it remined little problematic even after fixing it. It could be a very remote incident thou.
IMHO, Honda cars are very optimally designed which makes them little delicate in Indian conditions.
On the issue of comparing ANHC and Fiesta, ANHC is far roomier , especially at the back and is actually beginning to be a segent above.

Most Viewed