Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2008, 13:56   #616
BHPian

I was so pepped up about getting the ANHC S version but now I am not so sure. I am also beginning to feel at 9 plus and the additional cost of alloys and the bland interiors it may not be good value for money.

And in this economic climate with uncertainty and high interest rates if I pony up 9 plus it really has to be superb value for money. Of course this won't affect everyone but I would be more comfortable with this purchase if it were max 8.5 on road rather than 9 plus, nearly 10 with alloys and better tyres at which point I feel spending a bit more and getting a civic would probably be more value for money.

The Linea if priced well begins to look attractive though I do not particularly fancy its looks. I suspect if things get worse even that will go out of the widow and I may settle or a smaller car like i20 or dump the car plan altogether. I think car makers could have got away with it in better times but people will be circumspect and looking for more value now on major purchases. Costs of basics have plummeted, marketing costs are much lower because of crashing rates, everything is down currently.
Old 23rd November 2008, 14:17   #617
BHPian

Finally saw one on road. Had no idea they've started delivering cars, anyway the rear looks ugly to me, I'd never buy it. It's so incomplete.
Old 23rd November 2008, 15:32   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The biggest joke was I pretended to be innocent to ask the Honda Sales guy why no fog lamps in a 9 lakh rupees car. He told me Sir, the lights of the car are such that you dont need fog lamps. I said really, than why dont they have such lights in Accord and Civic, and he said caz they are old... lol.
Interesting explanation by the sales guy.
But I wonder why there is no fog lamps on Skoda Octavia RS. My friend who owns it had some justification like the main headlight itslef has the function built in or something like that. Does anyone knows the exact information on this?
Old 24th November 2008, 06:36   #619
BHPian

I remember that Infiniti Q45 was one of the earliest cars that did not require fog lamps in US because of its headlamp design. This news might be as old as 2002 (I dont trust my memory that much nowadays...)
Old 24th November 2008, 06:47   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
But I wonder why there is no fog lamps on Skoda Octavia RS. My friend who owns it had some justification like the main headlight itslef has the function built in or something like that. Does anyone knows the exact information on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I remember that Infiniti Q45 was one of the earliest cars that did not require fog lamps in US because of its headlamp design. This news might be as old as 2002 (I dont trust my memory that much nowadays...)
On the ANHC at least this is just another silly comment by the sales guy. Why do they then have to provide fogs as a prominent accessory if function is built in. Also if something like this was built-in, Honda would have hyped much about such a feature which is also missing. Wonder if the sales guy also told that we do not need alloys because the car is existing wheels are designed to run. And no leather seats because existing seats are designed to sit
Old 24th November 2008, 09:42   #621
BHPian

The Fog lamps also help for extended light coverage on a totally dark road. I noticed on my Fiesta that the fogs provide an extended lighting immediately in front of the vehicle (cos of their height) a good option if you are slowly navigating a potholed road, and also extended coverage on the sides of the road. Helpful on totally dark unlit roads.

I still feel it's pretty silly for Honda not to have provided them as standard options on a car in this segment.

And yes I agree with "Path Finder" in the above comment, it's a totally silly comment by a sales guy.
Old 24th November 2008, 09:46   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Of course the sales guy was givin me a bunch of bull so dont fall for it. The fact of the matter is if the fog lamp feature was built into headlights, than obviously this feature wouldnt have been available in the SV model in Thailand, which has alloy wheels, fog lamps and exhaust tip.
Old 26th November 2008, 00:20   #623
Senior - BHPian

Honda has been unfair to the Indian market. The European model gets fog lights, auto climate control,better interior quality, alloys and loads of goodies. Check out these pics
http://www.automobilesreview.com/gal...t-linea-02.jpg
Old 26th November 2008, 00:21   #624
Senior - BHPian

sorry, the link is:
The Stylish New Honda City Sweeps in - Automobiles Review
Old 26th November 2008, 02:29   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Of course the sales guy was givin me a bunch of bull so dont fall for it. The fact of the matter is if the fog lamp feature was built into headlights, than obviously this feature wouldnt have been available in the SV model in Thailand, which has alloy wheels, fog lamps and exhaust tip.
If only Toyota had something to put these guys in their place.
Old 26th November 2008, 10:25   #626
BHPian

You will get the free headlamps on hond india's 15 Anniversary , till then or pay the insane price.
Old 26th November 2008, 12:27   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
You will get the free headlamps on hond india's 15 Anniversary , till then or pay the insane price.
Mate I guess you mean fog lamps, headlamps are already provided with the vehicle
Old 28th November 2008, 14:49   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Honda has been unfair to the Indian market. The European model gets fog lights, auto climate control,better interior quality, alloys and loads of goodies. Check out these pics
http://www.automobilesreview.com/gal...t-linea-02.jpg
It is because in India Honda has a premium image which they want to cash on. People are ready to pay for Honda even if interiors are cheap and alloys are missing. In Europe, they don’t carry that premium brand image, hence has to produce VFM products to sell
Old 28th November 2008, 16:19   #629
abk
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest joke was I pretended to be innocent to ask the Honda Sales guy why no fog lamps in a 9 lakh rupees car. He told me Sir, the lights of the car are such that you dont need fog lamps. I said really, than why dont they have such lights in Accord and Civic, and he said caz they are old... lol.
I asked him why no alloy wheels for such an expensive car... again he said, caz this car has ABS and Airbags in all models that even Corolla doesnt have. I said there are Airbags and ABS in A Star, let alone SX4, Swift, Fiesta etc. He said, no A Star doesnt have Airbags.... lol.
BMW ki rear lights, Civic ka steering, 118 bhp, aur kya chahiye sir?
One of my friends who worked as a sales person in Maruti and later in Mahindra asked me one day which is the best car colour. I got down to analysing and put forward points in favour and against different car colour shades. At the end of it he had a wicked smile and concluded the discussion with a simple answer - whatever is available with the dealer while doing that sale Similarly for other stuff like EPS over hydraulic power steering. A sales guy selling a EPS car would rave about how technologically advanced this feature is and point to only so many high end cars who provide it. However, if they have hydraulic would go boasting about experience of hydraulic of EPS and how it gives you a better "feel" of drive. The objective, my dear friends, at all time and events is to squeeze an extra wad of currency notes from your pocket - physically or via your credit card
Old 28th November 2008, 16:24   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
It is because in India Honda has a premium image which they want to cash on. People are ready to pay for Honda even if interiors are cheap and alloys are missing. In Europe, they don’t carry that premium brand image, hence has to produce VFM products to sell
What i want to know is does people drive Badges or sit on the Badges ,its the product one must care for but we brand conscious Indians are light years behind that perception.
Maybe thats why ANHC is preferred over VFM cars like SX4 and Fiesta S.

Most Viewed