Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:16   #76
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
I totally agree its a great car, if you consider the spec sheet. But then, the ANHC is coming so close to the Civic/Altis territory now and that makes me wonder!

Should you really buy ANHC or something better which probably sets you back marginally by a few thousands, as far as EMIs are concerned? And if you're comparing the City interiors to those of the Civic E, the latter is from a different world. And the latter is also much safer and sold around the world (unlike the City). Same arguments, mostly, for the Altis too.

Indeed, it is good to have the FE story but then again.... God! It's so close.
Agree with you. Infact it makes me think about Cedia!! It is bigger car with all goodies and at the same price. It's a fantastic car to drive, except that it is in the wrong hands

I think HM & that FIAT are making it easier for Honda to rip the Indian customers. Why the hell is Toyota not bringing in the VIOS yet
Old 24th September 2008, 09:43   #77
BHPian

Hey Sid, would you have any info if the Modulos are coming to India as an option?. They looked pretty good - the interiors seemed to have a in-dash DVD player and the exterior also had a new grill etc.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:49   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_04 View Post
Do you think they'll come out with a newer V version with leather seats, alloys, and a CD player and maybe ORVM indicators and price it about a lac more?
Will the sun rise from the east?

Hell yes, as sure as that honda will bring out a V version with the aforementioned 'goodies' and a price tag which will be abt 60-70k higher. Oh, the travails of the poor Indian consumer..
Old 24th September 2008, 11:32   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
GTO, I am not surprised. If someones buying a Honda City, he probably has an Mp3 player. A 4GB USB Stick is just 700 bucks away and will easily substitute a 7 CD changer. Why bother with antique CDs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Very True, you could do away with CDs. Also, I am not sure though - a couple of photos taken during the Thai launch seemed to have a City branded MP3 player / USB stick (the one in red color) would that be right?
Honda is notorious for it's cheap attitude and cutting down on frills. Look at the spec sheet of the Accord, it doesn't even have a damn trip meter, traction control, steering mounted audio control etc. etc.! They sold the OHC Vtec @ 9.75 lakhs without a height adjustable steering. The reason for skimping on the CD player is cost and cost only. The Thai version has an MP3 player + USB, why not India?

And I am willing to bet that a majority of Honda City owners aren't that tech friendly. Remember, storing / updating music on a USB stick requires one to rip / download music to their computer. And then transfer. My sister who uses a laptop for 8 hours per day and a custom-built client management system doesn't have a clue on storing songs on USB sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I too hope there is a 1.3 L in the near future that would just blow the competition away as City will rule the 7.5-9.5 price bracket .
A 1.3 may come our way eventually. A 1.3 with <100 horses may also be more FE. I doubt the 116 BHP 1.5 will be as FE as the current NHC (but will be happy to be proven wrong).

Quote:
The City exits the company of SX4 and the lot and comes closer to the low end of Altis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
I totally agree its a great car, if you consider the spec sheet. But then, the ANHC is coming so close to the Civic/Altis territory now and that makes me wonder!
Smart comments! And why not? We have plenty examples on this forum where potentials have cross-shopped between a fully-loaded car from a lower segment and entry level of a higher segment. The Altis + Civic should be watching their rear view mirrors.
Old 24th September 2008, 11:36   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I think not giving a CD option with the audio is not a good idea. I don't think India has reached that stage where everyone is going to have a USB or Ipod to play their music.
Besides which, the quality of music on MP3 is definitely not as good as normal CD, unless you are using high bitrates such as 256 or higher. Most MP3 files are 128 which is atrocious for fidelity.
Old 24th September 2008, 11:43   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Yes, quite possible. If they start with the lower version of the City first, its very hard to position the Jazz which we have seen is very close in specs in mature markets. I think the 1.3 iVtec (or a slightly reduced capacity to get the excise cut) will be gifted to the Jazz and not to the City for now.
Agreed. In the Indian Car hierarchy, the sedan has a premium over a hatch anytime. And since the Jazz will compete with the likes of Swift,i20,UVA,Fabia etc..1.3 iVtec should be quite alright, competitively speaking.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:14   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_n29 View Post
Bear in mind the car is priced around 1.5X of what the Thais are paying. ...
At current exchange rates, the top-of-the-line model is sold at 695,000 baht, which translates to roughly 936,000 Indian rupees.
Old 24th September 2008, 13:23   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda is notorious for it's cheap attitude and cutting down on frills

Quote:
The reason for skimping on the CD player is cost and cost only. The Thai version has an MP3 player + USB, why not India?
But i think even the Thai version does not have a CD player. I read it somewhere on the review of the thai G3HC found in the scoop thread
Old 24th September 2008, 14:10   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_n29 View Post
When the Thai customers can get a fancy alloy why not Indians? Bear in mind the car is priced around 1.5X of what the Thais are paying. Moreover, when I pay close to million bucks on a car I expect somethings to be present in a car of which Alloys are on the top.
If you see the history Honda has always held back some features from the initial version and later keep adding features like airbags, alloy wheels and keep the model up with the competition. They never will give something like "fully loaded". They just make use of the novelty factor and maximize profits and later throw smaller perks our way. No disk brakes for a car with 118PS! Sigh! I don't know what stops them from selling alloy wheels as at least an accessory. Weird!
Old 24th September 2008, 14:43   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Hey Sid, would you have any info if the Modulos are coming to India as an option?. They looked pretty good - the interiors seemed to have a in-dash DVD player and the exterior also had a new grill etc.
Would be surprised if we get the Modulos version here. The chrome grille on it does look way better than the normal grille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post
Will the sun rise from the east?

Hell yes, as sure as that honda will bring out a V version with the aforementioned 'goodies' and a price tag which will be abt 60-70k higher. Oh, the travails of the poor Indian consumer..
Honda will first concentrate on the E version first rather than the V .
Maybe they ll wait for 6 months see how Altis base version performs and price the V few k's below the Automatic. Since a buyer would be attracted to the top end City before jumping to a Altis. This is just my opinion.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:51   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Honda is notorious for it's cheap attitude and cutting down on frills. Look at the spec sheet of the Accord, it doesn't even have a damn trip meter, traction control, steering mounted audio control etc. etc.! They sold the OHC Vtec @ 9.75 lakhs without a height adjustable steering. The reason for skimping on the CD player is cost and cost only. The Thai version has an MP3 player + USB, why not India?
I believe the Thai version has no CD player either. The (more expensive!) Jazz there has it though! Check 2009 Honda City - Test Drive Report | bkkAutos.com

Quote:
Smart comments! And why not? We have plenty examples on this forum where potentials have cross-shopped between a fully-loaded car from a lower segment and entry level of a higher segment. The Altis + Civic should be watching their rear view mirrors.
I was wondering if the scale will tilt away from City, in this case!! And would I be totally wrong in saying this? It will become clear only when the specs-on-paper start translating to performance-on-the-streets.

Never before, speculation had thrilled me so much!!

BH.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:51   #87
BHPian

haven't followed the full thread so taking a shot in the dark here...
118ps@ 6xxx RPM confirmed for indian markets? or will a detune follow?
I only ask because the present vtec puts out 113 BHP in Thai markets (source autocar india) and was detuned to 100 BHP for our fuel conditions etc.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:55   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Is it just me or does anyone else feels that Honda is creating space for the Jazz to be positioned against the Fabia by taking the ANHC prices to the range of Cedia and closer to Altis\Civic?
Old 24th September 2008, 18:24   #89
RGP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else feels that Honda is creating space for the Jazz to be positioned against the Fabia by taking the ANHC prices to the range of Cedia and closer to Altis\Civic?
Right. I was thinking of that.
Another possibility could be that the numbers buzzing around are carefully planted in the press, and the car will be launched tomorrow with Honda announcing a lower "introductory" price that will have us all weeping with joy and pawning the family heirlooms to join the rush for bookings....
Old 24th September 2008, 19:14   #90
BHPian

bit but thought should be posted.I saw this link within which some one has took a photo from TBHP and watermarked it as theirs and re posted. You can see both the watermarks.... Do you think this should be taken up with the people ?

Honda City 2009 is here | Nitin Khatri's Blog

Most Viewed