Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2008, 20:15   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashi_kul View Post
One caution for the buyers is to look at the fuel efficiency of the car before going ahead with the purchase decision as the power has been enhanced which might have some impact on the FE. If the FE is also in the same range as SX4, its going to make the segment even more interesting.
Wonder if you are aware of what Honda Engines always stood for. If you did, you wouldn't have made that statement. Anyway, that was your first post.
Old 2nd October 2008, 21:48   #407
Senior - BHPian

Cmon guys there is a lot of nitpicking going on, there is nothing called a perfect car and of course the Honda City aint one.
We can all keep cribbing about everything on the car without even seeing the thing in flesh let alone driving it. But one thing no one can deny is that this will sell.
The first generation was a great drivers four door saloon and nothing more. There were many more options available that might have been cheaper, more practical, better riding etc. etc. but they never outsold the City. Today Honda haters and lovers alike remember it fondly and most of us have the said competition erased from our brains. All of us were even ready to bet on our lives that the present City wont sell with looks like a bloated tortoise and a measely power figure, well the rest is history.
There is a lot going for this City, I mean they could have easily sold the existing City for a couple more years and still ruled the segment, this post wouldnt exist and neither the complaints. Instead Honda decided to move the benchmarks further and launched a better car. Kudos to them for that. Another thing is that there is nothing much the competition has to offer, cheaper they might be and maybe a feature or two more, but a better car, Nope.
This car has just shaken up the segment, it has forced existing players to rethink their positioning and new launches to rethink their products. Even if the City wont be one's car, trust me it'll make the competition better. As for the car getting crippled bcos of low ground clearance, buying a set of alloys making buyers bankrupt, a mileage of only 6km/ltr. mileage, lets wait for the car to run on our roads to decide.
Old 2nd October 2008, 21:50   #408
Senior - BHPian

me too get two SMS from Capital Honda.
If any one from chennai,going there.
Get some Photos and details.
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:19   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The 3gen city might be a very capable car. It will however be out of reach for a lot of people opening the door for the SX4. Honda will have to bring in the Jazz real soon to have a product in the entry level C segment. The fact that we see a lots of SX4 VXI on the road indicates that there is a big market for Rs 6- 6.5 lakh car and Honda has left that segment otally uncovered .

More appropriate idea would be City with a 1.3 or a 1.4 VTEC. Priced around 75k cheaper than the E version this would surely kill the SX4.
But im sure Honda would be confused right now as they have Jazz which should be priced above 5.75 lacs. So pricing has to be spot on.

Just saw the TV advt of New City. It looks brilliant in it!!
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:24   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wonder if you are aware of what Honda Engines always stood for. If you did, you wouldn't have made that statement. Anyway, that was your first post.
With due respect - Honda Civic's engine is not exactly known for fuel efficiency
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:44   #411
BHPian

Quote:
High FE was one of the most talked points at time of OHC launch and NHC pre-launch days. The changes in engine & body specs along with present silence on this point makes once nervous of this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
With due respect - Honda Civic's engine is not exactly known for fuel efficiency
That is also another valid point
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:59   #412
oss
BHPian

The other thing i forgot mentioned was about the turning circle radius. They also agreed that it is likely to be 5.0m as the dimensions are same as the Thai version, and in this class of car for the given dimentions it can't be so high as 5.3m.

The dealers have mentioned that they have asked for clarification on this from Honda, and are awaiting confirmation on whether what is printed on the brochure is the correct figure or not.
Old 2nd October 2008, 23:02   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
ecotech, SX4 is a great car, just that NHC VTEC is much better.
If your budget can stretch beyond 8.5/9, it's very apt to discard the SX4.
With Honda, be assured there's never going to be any midway marooning.
SX4 was NHCs competitor. With ANHC, it won't be anymore.
Thanx Scorp 1. Am going to book the ANHC tomorow. Still am a bit worried about Honda service at a remote place like Kharagpur if something happens.

I am also going to ask the dealer if they can add Fog lamps, Alloy wheels and Art leather seat covers at the dealership itself. Any idea what these additions will cost.

I am also considering R16 tyres instead of the R15 ones. Are there any issues regarding this on the technical front.
Old 2nd October 2008, 23:14   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Eh? The Civic's engine is quite revolutionary. I'd suggest reading TOVA's article on it. I don't know many 1.8L petrols that give the FE that it does while providing the high revving sporting character it has.

Then again, I'm a newbie, so feel free to ignore me

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 2nd October 2008 at 23:22.
Old 3rd October 2008, 00:13   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Engine may be great, but depends on what kind of car it needs to carry around. It is no more ultralight OHC that it needs to lug around. Better built car with same engine will surely take FE hit. Another example is SX4 and Baleno. Though SX4 is arguably more solidly built car with newer engine, its FE is less compared Baleno. May be a CRV owner can talk better about his Honda's FE.

Last edited by RX135 : 3rd October 2008 at 00:15.
Old 3rd October 2008, 00:17   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Eh? The Civic's engine is quite revolutionary. I'd suggest reading TOVA's article on it. I don't know many 1.8L petrols that give the FE that it does
Well, the Corolla has a better FE than the Civic any day. Toyota has always been known for their excellent hassle-free engines which combine adequate power, good torque at lower revs with great FE as well.

The Civic does have a great engine under its hood as well but the same will lose out to the Corolla in terms of FE.
Old 3rd October 2008, 00:28   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
Well, the Corolla has a better FE than the Civic any day. Toyota has always been known for their excellent hassle-free engines which combine adequate power, good torque at lower revs with great FE as well.

The Civic does have a great engine under its hood as well but the same will lose out to the Corolla in terms of FE.
Well, the SX4 isn't a Toyota.

What must be kept in mind is that there are (were) cars which had engines capable of significantly less power than the R18A in the Civic and still provided the same FE. Now that is an achievement.

I wonder how much FE the new Altis is getting. I'll be watching the Long Term forums with great interest. But things aren't looking good on CarWale.
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:13   #418
BHPian

Folks, the Pune Deccan Honda dealer wants a 1lac deposit to book the new Honda City. The Goa Honda dealer wants Rs. 50,000 to book the new Honda City.
The disadvantage in giving a larger amount is that incase you decide to cancel the booking for any unforeseen reason, 10% of the booking amount is deducted, hence smaller the booking amount the better it is.
I spoke to the dealer and asked him why the difference between different Honda dealers and he mentioned that all other dealers (in other cities) too take 1Lac as the booking amount, unfortunately in Pune it's only Deccan Honda (an unfortunate monopoly).

Did any of you check with your dealers for the booking amount ? and are there other dealers too that take only 50K ?
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:22   #419
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post

Did any of you check with your dealers for the booking amount ? and are there other dealers too that take only 50K ?
In Chennai Sundaram Motors demanded only 50k that too fully refundable in the event of cancellation !!

Will have to check again if they slipped in the 10% cancellation charge clause somewhere.....
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:24   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Folks, the Pune Deccan Honda dealer wants a 1lac deposit to book the new Honda City. The Goa Honda dealer wants Rs. 50,000 to book the new Honda City.
The disadvantage in giving a larger amount is that incase you decide to cancel the booking for any unforeseen reason, 10% of the booking amount is deducted, hence smaller the booking amount the better it is.
I spoke to the dealer and asked him why the difference between different Honda dealers and he mentioned that all other dealers (in other cities) too take 1Lac as the booking amount, unfortunately in Pune it's only Deccan Honda (an unfortunate monopoly).

Did any of you check with your dealers for the booking amount ? and are
there other dealers too that take only 50K ?

I think most of the members have been getting quotes of 1 lac as booking amount from Honda dealers. This is as per info in this forum and dealer quoting me the same amount. I think you should wait till 15th when demo car is available just to clear your confusion. Then you can give your booking amount without any doubts. Just my 2 cents!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotech View Post
Thanx Scorp 1. Am going to book the ANHC tomorow. Still am a bit worried about Honda service at a remote place like Kharagpur if something happens.

I am also going to ask the dealer if they can add Fog lamps, Alloy wheels and Art leather seat covers at the dealership itself. Any idea what these additions will cost.

I am also considering R16 tyres instead of the R15 ones. Are there any issues regarding this on the technical front.

Congrats ECO!! Though i doubt Honda has brought out any alloys as an option for the New City. For the fog lamps the dealer will quote you a bomb.

Most Viewed