Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 13:10   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I am going to book a ANHC today for my dad from Courtsey Honda. I thought about going for the AT version, but my dad isn't very comfortable with it, and also he has concerns about it's effect on FE. He says it'll lower FE by at least a couple of KM/h. Is it right?

\N
I have my doubts. ATs of today are quite advanced so I dont think there be any significant difference in FE. Infact with ATs today one is always in the "correct" gear so it might even give better FE in some cases.

That said - all of above is what I have read and not my personal experience.
Old 30th September 2008, 13:11   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Aggressive tactic by Honda to lock-in potentials & their deposits even before delivery schedules are in place! They obviously didn't want to lose out to other launches of this period, as well as the diwali frenzy.

As I posted earlier, there still isn't a mention of a smaller engine. That's so unlike the strategy that Honda has adopted for previous generations of the City. If they decide against offering a cheaper / smaller / more FE engine, Honda is giving away an entire segment of the market (the 7.xx lakh one). The ANHC is effectively moving up half a segment. Either the NHC will sell as the entry point (God forbid) or Honda is simply making way for the Jazz.

Yup i think Honda wanted to be first on the Diwali party . Well GTO i think Honda will first decide the price of Jazz (1.2 & i heard of a 1.4 VTEC from ACI) . If there is a gap then for sure we can expect 1.4 VTEC to come under 8 lac OTR. Obviously this is just my guessing. But yeah if Honda does cover up that 7-8 lacs OTR gap then ANHC will cover two segments .
Old 30th September 2008, 13:31   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
If it's going to be a 15 mins review then 12 mins will be spent talking on the looks and in showing off the new age features in the insides like tilt adjust steering and height adjustable seats. Next 2 minutes, they will show the car being driven on some smooth highway. In the balance 1 minute they will take the car off roading and comment on how the suspension could have been better as it fails to soak up bumps!
Couldn't have put it better.That host is a real joke and gets on to my nerves .
Old 30th September 2008, 13:39   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I have my doubts. ATs of today are quite advanced so I dont think there be any significant difference in FE. Infact with ATs today one is always in the "correct" gear so it might even give better FE in some cases.

That said - all of above is what I have read and not my personal experience.
Modern ATs today are quicker than manual and at the same time more fuel efficient (again from what I read about some modern cars with AT). Three significant improvements of modern AT (in my opinion) are:
1. More gears. Nowadays, five, six, even seven against three or four in earlier ATs.
2. More intelligent gear shifting depending on what driver wants (peddle input) and also intelligent response to different surfaces (plain or uphill or downhill)

And additionally, AT gear shifting takes approximately half the time a manual shifting would take (200ms vs 400ms approx). That says it all.

So, the surprising question: why do we need manual at all if ATs are better in both performance and fuel efficiency? In one of the review, I read as "for sheer pleasure of driving"!! Which one is more pleasurable? Interesting answer though. Additional ATs are relatively costly at the moment.
Old 30th September 2008, 13:46   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Modern ATs today are quicker than manual and at the same time more fuel efficient (again from what I read about some modern cars with AT).
If you compare the acceleration and FE figures for manual and AT versions, ATs are difinitely still less efficient and slower than manual counterparts. The gaps may be reducing though.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:33   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
In one of the review, I read as "for sheer pleasure of driving"!! Which one is more pleasurable?
Are you kidding?

Let me give you a little example here - my earlier Zen, and OHC1.3 for the last 7 years need a lot of shifting to keep the revs going for acceleration - and I just doing this soooo much I find the "need lesser changing" cars with the wider torque spreads and smoother power delivery almost boring in comparison! The feel of control when you shift it just right, and release the clutch in one easy motion, is unparalleled - especially when the acceleration has already kicked in when you release and - go!

I don't think I can explain it that well, but manuals rule.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:55   #352
BHPian

E 10 ready!!!

I just got the brochure delivered at my office. Says.. "The all new Honda City is E 10 ready."
Anybody has full idea bout that?!

Last edited by nikkibike : 30th September 2008 at 14:58.
Old 30th September 2008, 15:05   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
I just got the brochure delivered at my office. Says.. The all new Honda City is E 10 ready.

E-10 Ready-10 percent ethanol blended with gasoline. This is anticipation of the guidelines to be set by the Government of India in the near future.
Googlify it for more details . Could you scan the brochure??
Old 30th September 2008, 15:06   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
I just got the brochure delivered at my office. Says.. "The all new Honda City is E 10 ready."
Nothing new about that. All Honda cars, including the current City, have been E10 ready since a long time now.
Old 30th September 2008, 15:21   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,
Comments in BOLD
The price difference between E and S version (MT) is 50K. For 50K, one gets-

1. Keyless answer back with key Huh?
2. Center console high arm-rest Cosmetic difference
3. Passenger vanity mirror Cosmetic difference
4. Height-adjustable driver's seat Good
5. Seat-back pocket (passenger side) Cosmetic difference
6. Beige seat-fabric instead of grey Beige gets dirty more easily Cosmetic difference
7. Advanced integrated audio with remote control- Rs 8000/-
8. Front and rear speakers Rs 6000/-
9. Rear-armrest with cup-holders Cosmetic difference
10. Steering mounted audio controls Rs 1100/
11. Front and rear mud-guards Rs 1000/-
12. Body colored door-handles and mirrors Cosmetic difference

When I started typing these differences, the intention was to ask whether the 50K difference is wrth the difference in equipment level. But after I listed down the differences, it looks like it is :-) Not so sure, you can still put in alloys for the difference
\N
As you can see Honda is pulling the wool over our eyes
Old 30th September 2008, 15:45   #356
BHPian

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
E-10 Ready-10 percent ethanol blended with gasoline. This is anticipation of the guidelines to be set by the Government of India in the near future.
Googlify it for more details . Could you scan the brochure??
This is news to me!!! Thanks for the info!
Will scan the brochure and upload it in few minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Nothing new about that. All Honda cars, including the current City, have been E10 ready since a long time now.
huh!!! This is certainly a 'more drool maal' to me! Thanks for the info dude!

I had read somewhere something like 'all wheel drive' for the same term!!! Thatz what confused me!!!
Old 30th September 2008, 16:26   #357
BHPian

Brochure

Herez the soft copy of brochure I received today!
Attached Thumbnails
EDIT: Now Launched :All New Honda city (Indian version)-full specs & features .-p1a.jpg  

EDIT: Now Launched :All New Honda city (Indian version)-full specs & features .-p2a.jpg  

EDIT: Now Launched :All New Honda city (Indian version)-full specs & features .-p3a.jpg  

EDIT: Now Launched :All New Honda city (Indian version)-full specs & features .-p4a.jpg  

EDIT: Now Launched :All New Honda city (Indian version)-full specs & features .-p5a.jpg  

EDIT: Now Launched :All New Honda city (Indian version)-full specs & features .-p6a.jpg  

EDIT: Now Launched :All New Honda city (Indian version)-full specs & features .-p7a.jpg  

nikkibike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2008, 16:40   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
As you can see Honda is pulling the wool over our eyes
I disagree. There is a cost involved with what Honda is giving. Most importantly, a height adjustable driver seat, integrated stereo and steering mounted controls cannot be obtained from aftermarket, and aftermarket systems don't have the same effect and security versus factory fitted. Integrated stereos are much more difficult for a thief to steal. The aftermarket steering mounted controls available are small remotes that get attached to a steering wheel - nothing like the feel of buttons on the steering. Those who own the 2008 Swift and SX4 will agree.

The only advantage for buying the E is for someone who wants to install his own high-end audio system, and can overlook the height adjustable driver seat option.

The rest of the things are cosmetic and can be installed, albeit at a cost (perhaps 10-15k?)
Old 30th September 2008, 16:58   #359
BHPian

Quote:
nikkibike:Herez the soft copy of brochure I received today![/
Thanks Nikkibike, a good effort to scan the copy and upload it. I guess one of the best models to settle down for seems to be the S-MT after reading the test drives of the car in Thailand... the S-AT supposedly has a mind of it's own and I believe often after you down shift, it tends to automatically upshift after some time. Also for pure driving pleasure nothing beats a manual, especially on a lovely winding road in the Ghats.
Old 30th September 2008, 17:01   #360
BHPian

drool machine. men are gone. boys are back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks