Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 17:05   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
Herez the soft copy of brochure I received today!
Thanks a lot for uploading! I thought the brochure will also show the grey interiors of E version ! Guess we will have to wait till 15th Oct when it reaches all our showrooms for display.
Old 30th September 2008, 17:08   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Are you kidding?

Let me give you a little example here - my earlier Zen, and OHC1.3 for the last 7 years need a lot of shifting to keep the revs going for acceleration - and I just doing this soooo much I find the "need lesser changing" cars with the wider torque spreads and smoother power delivery almost boring in comparison! The feel of control when you shift it just right, and release the clutch in one easy motion, is unparalleled - especially when the acceleration has already kicked in when you release and - go!

I don't think I can explain it that well, but manuals rule.
You didn't get what I meant. Assume that the automatic shifts the gear just as you wish, there manual would start losing its advantage. That is exactly the case now with some of the modern automatics. I don't remember, but check out some of the cars like DSG/Dualogic of Laura/Jetta/Punto etc. you might find some surprising facts. You might be able to remain in the same gear as you hard press the accelerator, for instance, till the rpm reaches red. It might even downshift if necessary (gear too high for the current speed and your desired acceleration to match). Though I have not driven them, I will believe the 0-100 time and the fuel efficiencies that the reports had given.
Old 30th September 2008, 17:09   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

The price difference between E and S version (MT) is 50K. For 50K, one ...................
6. Beige seat-fabric instead of grey
\N
for my understanding, in the E version: is only the seat in Grey or the interiors ( e.g. material on inside part of door) also grey?
'coz a grey seat is still easier to handle by changing the seat covers, but interiors are difficult to change :(
Old 30th September 2008, 17:17   #364
Senior - BHPian

True - but the FTD comes from the adrenaline rush of letting the needle climb, and shift quick, smooth, and execute your move nicely. If the car decides the former, its less fun. Maybe quicker, more efficient etc, sure.
Old 30th September 2008, 17:17   #365
BHPian

All it lacks is Climate Control A/C!!!! Damn!!
Old 30th September 2008, 17:31   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Thanks Nikkibike, a good effort to scan the copy and upload it. I guess one of the best models to settle down for seems to be the S-MT after reading the test drives of the car in Thailand... the S-AT supposedly has a mind of it's own and I believe often after you down shift, it tends to automatically upshift after some time.
Auto and others,

The report from Pete has that statement but unfortunately misleading. I believe he was trying to use the paddles when he was in D mode. If you want to have fun on the ghats, move to S mode and then you can switch gears as you want.

So with 5AT, you actually can drive it like an MT car whenever you want. I have been really thinking about for sometime. Dual personality! Sounds very exciting!!

BH.
Old 30th September 2008, 17:42   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
You didn't get what I meant. Assume that the automatic shifts the gear just as you wish, there manual would start losing its advantage. That is exactly the case now with some of the modern automatics. I don't remember, but check out some of the cars like DSG/Dualogic of Laura/Jetta/Punto etc. you might find some surprising facts. You might be able to remain in the same gear as you hard press the accelerator, for instance, till the rpm reaches red. It might even downshift if necessary (gear too high for the current speed and your desired acceleration to match). Though I have not driven them, I will believe the 0-100 time and the fuel efficiencies that the reports had given.
I totally agree, automatics make sense in the jungle traffic that we live in. Every time you need to drive in rush hour, there is no adrenaline rush to shift the gear using clutch, rather a xxx curse that escapes your mouth every time you are stuck in traffic. With paddle shift and the ability to shift at your convinience, its best of both worlds. Thats the pridacament that I am in.... I need an auto bad, but the sweet spot in my budget is around 8 big ones and not 9.5 :( So waiting it out for saving more moolah to book my automat...
Old 30th September 2008, 17:44   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Auto and others,

The report from Pete has that statement but unfortunately misleading. I believe he was trying to use the paddles when he was in D mode. If you want to have fun on the ghats, move to S mode and then you can switch gears as you want.

So with 5AT, you actually can drive it like an MT car whenever you want. I have been really thinking about for sometime. Dual personality! Sounds very exciting!!

BH.
^^Only proble being that the car will downshift by its own. You dont have control over that, you can only time the upshift. Which means slightly low mileage as most Indians tend to keep the car in higher gears and lower revs.
Old 30th September 2008, 18:52   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
All it lacks is Climate Control A/C!!!! Damn!!
Haven't test driven the car as yet to voice my (personal) intricate feelings for the New City but upfront Yes! that is my immediate grouse - NO Climate Control. Damn!!! Honda what were you folks thinking...

Cars like the Swift, Dzire, Verna, SX4 all sport Climate Control...
Old 30th September 2008, 18:59   #370
Senior - BHPian

I love the AT in my Civic. It's pretty smart.

It can keep low revs if you tell it to - you can pulse the pedal to make it shift instead of holding revs. And you can just floor it with the kickdown mode and get instant acceleration.

It's also smart enough to hold the car on an incline. This was one thing I was most worried about - how do I hold the car in clutch on an incline when there is no clutch at all?!? Turns out it does that brilliantly.

There there are the paddles. Until I got hold of the car today, I thought the paddles are push buttons. But they are proper paddles after all. So much fun! FE is about 1KMPL less than the equivalent manual. But for sheer convenience in city driving, there is no equal.
Old 30th September 2008, 19:45   #371
BHPian

Honda City AT

I'm glad to see so many people discussing the AT version here. This is supposed to cost about 10.77L OTR Bangalore (assuming the cars actually come on road before our CM ups the road tax hoping to "emulate Singapore").

With the cost being so high, I wonder how many of us will actually end up buying it. I'd love to stretch myself to buy it, but the price is so darn close to the next segment.
Old 30th September 2008, 19:49   #372
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arun,

A little off topic here.

> It's also smart enough to hold the car on an incline.

All ATs do that. But please put your right foot on the brake when on an incline.
Old 30th September 2008, 19:56   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

There there are the paddles. Until I got hold of the car today, I thought the paddles are push buttons. But they are proper paddles after all. So much fun!

Do the paddles turn with the steering wheel?
How do you shift gears manually on winding roads (like the ghat sections, etc)?
Old 30th September 2008, 20:27   #374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Do the paddles turn with the steering wheel?
How do you shift gears manually on winding roads (like the ghat sections, etc)?
yes they do turn with the steering wheel so its easy to change even on ghat roads.
Old 30th September 2008, 20:51   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
yes they do turn with the steering wheel so its easy to change even on ghat roads.
Steering wheels have several turns lock to lock (3.5 turns etc) so if the peddles tuen along wiht the wheel wont it lead to awkward positon and even needing to search for them? Fixed position may be better ergonomically

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks