Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 19:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
But the car is still in your name! What do you intend to do about that?
Current owner has told me that if I am reluctant to sign the NOC, he will get the car transfered to his name, before going ahead with the sale. Just need to ensure that I ask for a copy of the RC Book.
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:12   #47
D-Man

do you have any proof on when you sold this car? just curious.

Old 2nd June 2009, 22:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
do you have any proof on when you sold this car? just curious.
Yes, the delivery note which has a date stamp on it.
Old 14th January 2011, 23:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

Sold Car in 2008. Come 2011, I find the Car is still in my name. Help Needed

Hi,

This is with reference to a Santro i was using a few years back. In 2008, i had sent it from Gurgaon, back to my dad, who at that point of time was in Chennai.

I wanted to sell the car in Gurgaon, but it was a KA Reg car (KA 05 MA 6515) that I bought when I was in Bangalore and then went back to GRG. But was getting a very low price there due to registration. So, once i sent it to my dad, and had signed all the necessary transfer papers and handed it over to him. He sold it to one Mr X, for some random amount. All was done in good faith

Now, sometime recently I was going through a website in bangalore, (cant recollect), where u enter the registration number and it throws out the owners name and details, and i was really surprised or rather shocked to see the car still in my name, and this was sometime in november 2010

I immediately call my dad, and he in turn calls up the guy who says, he has sold the car to some other person and this time in Mysore and just handed over my signed transfer papers. And now it seems that guy is also not transferring it to his name

So, at this point, I am a very concerned about the implications. Incase of some malpractise involving the car, some accident or what so ever, it may come against me. Since no other owners names officially appear anywhere.

What can i do to get this rectified. Do i need to approach the RTO, file an FIR???

Also, my dad sent me a delivery note which that person gave him stating he purchased the car on so on so date etc. But I do not see that as something concrete and material.

Looking forward to your advice, as I want to get this resolved at the earliest

(MODS: Please move this to the appropriate thread if this is not the right one)

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 14th January 2011 at 23:25.
Old 14th January 2011, 23:49   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sold Car in 2008. Come 2011, I find the Car is still in my name. Help Needed

My situation is exactly the same. I also sold my Santro in Bangalore in dec,2009 to one Mr. Mahesh. As I was in a hurry to return to Delhi, I just collected the delivery note and signed the rest of the forms. I did put the date and other car details in the form properly as someone had told me before that once you fill the date the form is valid for only 15 days.

Now last week I also happened to check the above website and it still shows the car in my name. Is it possible that the website is not updated? What should I do in this case? I have the delivery note with me which the buyer signed. Is that good enough to insulate me from any mishap that may occur?
Old 15th January 2011, 00:11   #51
BHPian

Re: Sold Car in 2008. Come 2011, I find the Car is still in my name. Help Needed

Keep the delivery note safe. That's basically your backup in case of any issues. The cops will usually accept that in case of any problems.

Last edited by P1tBull : 15th January 2011 at 00:13.
Old 15th January 2011, 01:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

This is a typical scenario as the buyers dont want to transfer the car in their name,as the no:of transfers will effect the resale value further down the line.
I have received many traffic challans from cars that i have sold years back.
One thing,is that we should not pay the challans as it will tantamount to that,we had committed this crime,while it is not the case.
Keep the Delivery note as it will come handy to explain to cops to show that you are not anymore the owner of the car.
Old 15th January 2011, 03:27   #53

AS long as you have a delivery note, the law is on your side. No need to worry. Relax. Keep the delivery note very very very safe though.
Old 15th January 2011, 04:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

I have a similar problem. I sold my car to a friend as I was moving abroad. however, the friend also moved abroad(to a different country) after a few weeks and the car is being used by his parents (with a driver). The documents that I handed over now cannot be found. though I received all the money, it has been around 3 years and the car is still in my name.
As we are both out of India, we are unable to do anything and his parents are unable to do it due to health issues. In this case, is there someone who can do this work for us? can ir be done in absence of both of us? if one of us has to be present, which one of us is more essential? the reason i ask is that it has been impossible for us to co ordinate our trips together
This is not an ideal situation for either of us, but I would like to focus on what could be done to resolve it. Thanks for your advice.
Old 15th January 2011, 05:49   #55
BHPian

if the car is still in my name, what happens if I file an FIR for vehicle missing.. (I suppose in all records I might be the owner and legally the new owner need to return the car to me)
Old 15th January 2011, 07:29   #56
v&v
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend in RTO has told, in case of sale, make a duplicate copy of the documents which is handed over to the buyer along with a ID proof and his contact nos, Send to RTO by Registered A/D post.

Keep the acknowledgement, ID proof of buyer and Delivery note. its more than enough to prove the sale in case of any mis-happening.

I usually follow this practice, Even i click the photograph of the buyer.
Old 15th January 2011, 08:19   #57
BHPian

Same thing happened to me when i sold my RXZ in 2003 the bike is still in my name and it was sold to the third owner from whom it got stolen still in my name now the bike is getting rusted in the police yard and anyhow if didnot suffer any wrong consequences but after that whenever i sell my cars or bikes, i get it transfered to the persons name and take the cost from him.

BTW i can get that bike back if i want.
Old 15th January 2011, 08:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1tBull View Post
Keep the delivery note safe. That's basically your backup in case of any issues. The cops will usually accept that in case of any problems.
No sir, delivery note only is not enough best and what I have been doing for almost all my vehicles sold is same day when the vehicle is delivered to new buyer write a letter to RTO of same place where the vehicle is registered inform them that vehicle is sold to such person attatch delivery note with buyer signature, Pls get aucknowledge on second copy with their entry no on their register. Preserve this leeter with RTO stamp and signature along with delivery note . That is the right method.Regards
Old 15th January 2011, 13:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all

@Iqbal, since it was disposed about 2 years ago, can i send a copy of all the cars documents, the delivery note to the RTO and get the sale registered now?

Also, is it just courier it, or do I need to get to the RTO.

Finally, since everthing is still in my name, how are they managing with things like Insurance. How do they renw it when the car is still in someone elses name. Or could they just get the insurance transferred to their name, which i doubt happens, as it gets done only if car gets transferred
Old 15th January 2011, 14:24   #60
BANNED

Try and contact the current owner. If he does not transfer it, tell him you will report the vehicle stolen and take it back. Legally you can do that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks