Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2011, 21:14   #76
BANNED

Re: About a motorbike that I sold 2 years ago

This subject has been discussed to death before on this forum.

As registered owner, it is your obligation to give a notice to your RTO showing details of the person to whom you have sold the vehicle. There is a form prescribed for it in the rules.

But, duh, you sold it to a broker; who sold it to somebody else. And you have not a single bit of paper showing that you sold the vehicle.

To make your nights a wee bit more sleepless - here is a bit of info - if the buyer has not taken out insurance, you are liabie if he (or his 16 year old cousin) knocks down somebody. Yup - you need to shell out your hard earned cash (ok - you need not bother, the courts will ask your employer to cut it from your salary; or better still, put you in a state owned "guest room" till you pay up).

Harsh realities, of life no?
Old 20th November 2011, 23:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: About a motorbike that I sold 2 years ago

Do you at least have the delivery note ? That should say that you have sold your bike on a particular day and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
One of them was 'riding on the pavement', which my wife wouldn't ever think of doing even if there was a traffic jam
Did you pay up or contend or just ignored it ?
Old 24th November 2011, 16:20   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
This subject has been discussed to death before on this forum.

As registered owner, it is your obligation to give a notice to your RTO showing details of the person to whom you have sold the vehicle. There is a form prescribed for it in the rules.

But, duh, you sold it to a broker; who sold it to somebody else. And you have not a single bit of paper showing that you sold the vehicle.

To make your nights a wee bit more sleepless - here is a bit of info - if the buyer has not taken out insurance, you are liabie if he (or his 16 year old cousin) knocks down somebody. Yup - you need to shell out your hard earned cash (ok - you need not bother, the courts will ask your employer to cut it from your salary; or better still, put you in a state owned "guest room" till you pay up).

Harsh realities, of life no?
I deserved that. I should've been vigilant during the sale. Next time I'll know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Do you at least have the delivery note ? That should say that you have sold your bike on a particular day and time.

Did you pay up or contend or just ignored it ?
The broker has offered to issue a delivery note. I'm hoping to use that to atleast inform the RTO of the sale.

I've asked the broker to get the current owner of the motorvehicle to pay the fine. I doubt if he would take the trouble of doing that.

I narrated my story to an SI at the RTO today. He has asked me to pursue with the broker for a few more days, failing which I should file a complaint stating that the broker has stolen the motorbike. I would be lying if I lodged a complaint under those grounds and this could possibly come back to bite me.

I so regret all of this. I'm just hoping to put as much distance between me and that bike as possible.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

** Please read the board rules before posting further **

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th November 2011 at 11:41. Reason: posts merged
Old 24th November 2011, 18:23   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h
I narrated my story to an SI at the RTO today. He has asked me to pursue with the broker for a few more days, failing which I should file a complaint stating that the broker has stolen the motorbike. I would be lying if I lodged a complaint under those grounds and this could possibly come back to bite me.

I so regret all of this. I'm just hoping to put as much distance between me and that bike as possible.
My suggestion: please don't do that. You never know what the SI is up to.
Please consult a good lawyer and file a case under the real applicable clauses.
Old 24th November 2011, 19:32   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai

My suggestion: please don't do that. You never know what the SI is up to.
Please consult a good lawyer and file a case under the real applicable clauses.
You may be right. I wasn't really sure about that SI and his advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I had a similar situation sometime back. You need to issue a public notice in any newspaper stating that you, S/o, R/o had sold this bike on ____ to ____ S/O, R/o and that you're not liable for any consequences, whatsoever w.e.f. sale date.

This has to be done on a advocate's letterhead. (any lawyer sitting outside any court would do this and charge you something around Rs. 100-300).

You may choose newspaper "Veer Arjun"/"Mail Today" for this.. cheapest ones. (app. 500-700).

With this notice, you need to write a letter escaping liability to the highest authority in Traffic Deptt of your city with a cc to the concerned ITO, visit them personally and get a receiving from both of them. This recieved letter is the only remedy for any legal issue that may arise.
Panky, turns out that there a few out there who do this lawyer+newspaper thing and continue to use their vehicle. This notification thing comes in handy for those(actual owners) who haven't insured their vehicle, especially in the event of an accident. The bottonline being that, while this exercise proves that I have made an "attempt" to fix things, in reality the onus still lies on me, especially because the RC says so.

In my case, while I know who the middleman is, I do not know who the current owner is, and even if I do, I cannot make him undergo the ownership transfer exercise. In that situation, I would be tempted to file a case of theft, as I wouldn't be able to see any other way out of it.

The way I see it, tracking the current owner down would mean progress and change of ownership the objective.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

You are advised to read the announcements section which contains the board rules before posting further.

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th November 2011 at 11:43. Reason: posts merged
Old 27th November 2011, 18:15   #81
BANNED

Re: Need Advice - Car sold but not transferred

At the transport office (Regional Transport Office or RTO), you are talking to the Motor Vehicle Inspectors, usually designated as "Assistant Motor Vehicle Inspectors". Typically auto mobile engineering diploma holders, these are uniformed, since they are empowered to stop vehicles.
Old 27th December 2012, 22:11   #82
BHPian

Help: Car Ownership not yet transferred since 2 YEARS!

Hello everyone,

I've placed myself in a shocking and scary situation regarding a pre-owned car that I purchased two years ago.

The car is a Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair 2004, purchased in November 2010 at Bangalore, under the jurisdiction of the Jayanagar RTO. The purchase and subsequent transfer of ownership (which I believed had been done) was handled by my dad, and I had never looked into it. I always believed that I have had perfect documents, tucked into my dash. Insurance was paid twice by family, and I get the 6 month PUC certification done too. All perfect, I assumed.

My dad passed away 6 months after the car purchase. I had no contact with the owner or with the agent who supposedly did the transfer. I was told that it was done, and that is what I assumed.

Three days ago, I was pulled over by a cop for the first time in two years, for a signal violation. When asked to produce the car documents RC and DL, the cop informed me that I wasn't the listed owner of the vehicle! I still believed that it was an old photocopy of the RC and the original would be back at home, but I could never find it. However this morning, I came across the btis.in website and found that the car details were of the previous owner! I then found the original RC booklet which only had the previous owners details. I also have copies of the transfer record, delivery note, payment receipt, NOC etc. with signatures of the owner and everything (everything perfect from the side of the previous owner)

Long story short: The car I purchased has not been transferred to my name yet. The insurance is also obviously the same. Its been more than two years now. I have no clue of what went down with the transfer process, and I can only blame myself for being so naive. I wish to act on this immediately. I fall under the Rajajinagar RTO.

I hope I don't have to contact the previous owner. I have all the required signatures and would like to save myself from an embarrassing and shocking conversation.

I apologize for my ignorance. Please help me in how I can proceed now. Are there time limits for car transfers ? Do I approach an RTO agent ? Any other issues I need to be aware of ?

Thanks.
Old 28th December 2012, 21:29   #83
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th December 2012 at 08:52.
amitwiz1 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th December 2012, 21:38   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

From my limited understanding, there is no problem in transferring the papers now.

The only hassle might be the insurance. If you've been driving a car that you don't own legally, how did you get the insurance renewed? Just issued a cheque and got the insurance done in the previous owner's name?

Even so, get the RC transferred ASAP, and also get the insurance transferred right away.

Contact AA in your city - and they'll help you out in person. http://www.aasindia.org/

Last edited by GTO : 29th December 2012 at 08:52. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 22:51   #85
BHPian

Thanks!

Yes, I checked the insurance and its still in the sellers name. Payment was made by cash.
I spoke to an agent today and he asked for a fee of Rs 4000 for the transfer saying that it wasn't going to be easy because of the delay. Does this stand good ?
Old 28th December 2012, 22:57   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
Yes, I checked the insurance and its still in the sellers name. Payment was made by cash.
I spoke to an agent today and he asked for a fee of Rs 4000 for the transfer saying that it wasn't going to be easy because of the delay. Does this stand good ?
Amit, do not worry, haggle the cost out with a couple of more agents and they should be able to get the car transferred to you pretty easily. Once the RC is transferred, the insurance too can be transferred to your name though it is a slightly tough process. In case the insurance Co doesn't sound co operative, go ahead and purchase a new policy.

The issue is not very serious so do not worry.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 23:46   #87
BHPian

Re: Help: Car Ownership not yet transferred since 2 YEARS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
Hello everyone,

I've placed myself in a shocking and scary situation regarding a pre-owned car that I purchased two years ago.

The car is a Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair 2004, purchased in November 2010 at Bangalore, under the jurisdiction of the Jayanagar RTO. The purchase and subsequent transfer of ownership (which I believed had been done) was handled by my dad, and I had never looked into it. I always believed that I have had perfect documents, tucked into my dash. Insurance was paid twice by family, and I get the 6 month PUC certification done too. All perfect, I assumed.

My dad passed away 6 months after the car purchase. I had no contact with the owner or with the agent who supposedly did the transfer. I was told that it was done, and that is what I assumed.

Three days ago, I was pulled over by a cop for the first time in two years, for a signal violation. When asked to produce the car documents RC and DL, the cop informed me that I wasn't the listed owner of the vehicle! I still believed that it was an old photocopy of the RC and the original would be back at home, but I could never find it. However this morning, I came across the btis.in website and found that the car details were of the previous owner! I then found the original RC booklet which only had the previous owners details. I also have copies of the transfer record, delivery note, payment receipt, NOC etc. with signatures of the owner and everything (everything perfect from the side of the previous owner)

Long story short: The car I purchased has not been transferred to my name yet. The insurance is also obviously the same. Its been more than two years now. I have no clue of what went down with the transfer process, and I can only blame myself for being so naive. I wish to act on this immediately. I fall under the Rajajinagar RTO.

I hope I don't have to contact the previous owner. I have all the required signatures and would like to save myself from an embarrassing and shocking conversation.

I apologize for my ignorance. Please help me in how I can proceed now. Are there time limits for car transfers ? Do I approach an RTO agent ? Any other issues I need to be aware of ?

Thanks.
I don't think btis.in is updated correctly. I am the third owner of the car and still the owner shown is the first. The RC book correctly shows previous owner and my details including our photographs. The previous insurance was correctly in previous owners name and then I had to change it to my name when I bought it.
Old 29th December 2012, 00:01   #88
BHPian

Thanks a lot. I was just worried that such a delay in registration would be penalized in some way! Will get the needful done ASAP.
Old 12th November 2013, 17:18   #89
BHPian

Urgent Help Required:

Car sold: Feb 2008

Have delivery note original & Have a copy of transferred RC.

Apparently some days back a accident happened involving that vehicle.

Today got a visit from police hawaldar, that i am still the owner of the vehicle according to RTO & only on that he came down to my address.

I panicked. He asked to 2000 rupees but i gave 1500 as he was insisting me to come to thana at 930PM :(

Please advise what needs to be done now

1. How to ascertain vehicle was indeed transferred. ?
2. How to intimate RTO about it ?

I smell a fish here and i am really blanked out right now. What are the future implications going to be.

Please advice
Old 12th November 2013, 19:55   #90
BHPian

EDIT: After coming home searched all the documents and managed to find the NOC Form28 and the Insurance transfer note issued.

Was i conned, do i need to intimate RTO still & take confirmation from them that the vehicle is indeed transferred ?

Please advise. All help needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
Urgent Help Required:

Car sold: Feb 2008

Have delivery note original & Have a copy of transferred RC.

Apparently some days back a accident happened involving that vehicle.

Today got a visit from police hawaldar, that i am still the owner of the vehicle according to RTO & only on that he came down to my address.

I panicked. He asked to 2000 rupees but i gave 1500 as he was insisting me to come to thana at 930PM :(

Please advise what needs to be done now

1. How to ascertain vehicle was indeed transferred. ?
2. How to intimate RTO about it ?

I smell a fish here and i am really blanked out right now. What are the future implications going to be.

Please advice

Last edited by roadjourno : 12th November 2013 at 20:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks