Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2005, 17:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Now some news for Hyundai. My wagonr RC certificate shows a seating capacity of 5.

Hurray!...
Old 25th March 2005, 18:25   #17
BHPian

You have the right to remain silent.Whatever you say or do can be used against you in a court of law!
Old 25th March 2005, 18:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just as i can read the letters "abcd" , just i can read Team-BHP at the title bar of my web browser, i can read Seating capacity=5 in my wagonr RC.

Ha ha...
damn Hyundai
Wagonr sales have actually taken over that of Santro for the previous month. That's why they are doing this.

Last edited by DCEite : 25th March 2005 at 18:58.
Old 25th March 2005, 19:05   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From this Sify linky comes:

According to Maruti dealers, the WagonR has been certified to seat four persons, including the driver. This could be because the WagonR has split seats at the rear and hence has seat belt points for two persons. However, when contacted, officials in Maruti Udyog were not unduly worried about the advertisement. Automobile industry sources said that the seating capacity of a car was certified by the Pune-based Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) based on the Central Motor Vehicle Rules and after considering the various aspects such as dimension and safety aspects, when a vehicle was sent for homologation.

GTO
Old 25th March 2005, 19:06   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hadnt Shantanu stated once that his Wagon R registration book state a seating capacity of 4?
Old 25th March 2005, 19:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yes it would be very interesting to know what other ppls wagonR RC shows. I was quite shocked when i read seating capacity = 5. ( somebody in this very thread had talked about that it is 4)
Old 25th March 2005, 19:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hadnt Shantanu stated once that his Wagon R registration book state a seating capacity of 4?
Well, I don't remember making such a statement. However, my Vtec's RC book clearly mentions seating capacity as 4 + 1 = 5 (Five). But, the Vtec has only 4 seat belts so, it's technically a 4 seater.

I remember this, since my uncle who has a Chevy Impala in the US is not allowed to carry more than 4 people (according to the law) and the Impala is no small car!!

The seating capacity of a vehicle depends on the number of available seat belts. There's no way manufacturers are gonna let the 5th person ride without a belt.

The way i see it, even the D segment cars are 4 seaters (unless they have a 5th belt)

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 25th March 2005 at 19:25.
Old 25th March 2005, 19:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Does that mean Santro has a total 5 seat belts !!????...

Any Santro owners here?.. waiting to hear from you!
Old 25th March 2005, 19:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does that mean Santro has a total 5 seat belts !!????...
I doubt, unless they planted one more, just to get the car certified, which is a horrible move since there's no way 3 adults are gonna feel comfy strapped in the back seat of a Santro. Even a midsizer would feel cramped.

Shan2nu
Old 25th March 2005, 22:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Santro has only 4 belts. However, i remember my Hondas (City) having a lap belt too. Surprised that Shan2nu's VTEC doesn't have the 5th.

Why would anyone sit in the back of a City?!
Old 26th March 2005, 03:29   #26
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
I remember this, since my uncle who has a Chevy Impala in the US is not allowed to carry more than 4 people (according to the law) and the Impala is no small car!!
Seatbelt is a requirement only for the front seat. There is no law in india or US which requires adult rear-seat passengers to wear seat belts. No one has ever been ticketed in US for not wearing a seat belt in rear seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
The seating capacity of a vehicle depends on the number of available seat belts. There's no way manufacturers are gonna let the 5th person ride without a belt.
Wrong again, as seat belt is required for front seats only. Taxis - which are heavily regulated here in US allow 3 people in rear seats. A taxi driver can loose his driving priveleges for violating the law, hence they take special precautions.
Old 26th March 2005, 12:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seatbelt is a requirement only for the front seat. There is no law in india or US which requires adult rear-seat passengers to wear seat belts. No one has ever been ticketed in US for not wearing a seat belt in rear seat.
Well, that's what my uncle told me. Maybe it was bcoz his daughters are under 18.

Quote:
Wrong again, as seat belt is required for front seats only.
I disagree, seat belts are required on all seats. Doesn't your car have seat belts at the back? They're there for a reason.

And, as for the rules in India, I could squeeze in 6 people in my car and still not get caught. I've seen this happen in B'lore. When you talk traffic and safety rules, make sure you take India out of the equation. Hehe

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 26th March 2005 at 12:38.
Old 26th March 2005, 12:52   #28
BHPian

my ikon 1.3 flair has 5 seat belts
anywayz i would like to know where does the old zen (99) stand here? 4 seater or 5 seater? (i care a damn though)
& as of my knowledge, one does not get pulled over if the seatbelts are not being used by the rear passengers. maybe highways though(not sure) but not in day-to-day traffic
Old 26th March 2005, 19:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

You will not get pulled over anywhere in India for not wearing seatbelts at the back...be it in the city or on the highway.

Drifter
Old 26th March 2005, 21:12   #30
SLK
Senior - BHPian

My wagonR RC says... 5 people... LOL. .... but I don't let 5 sit myself!!! ... there's space for just 3 in the car!

I guess in US rear seatbelts are compulsory ... maybe LLL is talking about a specific state where its not required!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks