Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2005, 23:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My wagonR RC says... 5 people... LOL. .... but I don't let 5 sit myself!!!
Do you know what the best safety device on your car is? You!! I respect that.

Quote:
I guess in US rear seatbelts are compulsory ... maybe LLL is talking about a specific state where its not required!
Nope, i can't argue with what LLL has said about the sfaety laws in the US. I did some reading regarding this and found that rear seat belts are mandatory only for children below 18 years of age (16 in some states).

If there are 5 adults sitting in a car. Only the front passengers are supposed to wear seat belts (according to the law) but, from a personal point of view, i feel every passenger should wear one.

I've personally seen a Cielo carrying 5 passengers hit a tempo at around 70-80kmph. The lady in the rear seat was thrown between the front seats and her head hit the dashboard, she ended up with a cut on her forehead which just wouldn't stop bleeding.

The driver hit his chest against the steering (which broke) and he wasn't able to breath properly for some time. His dad who was sitting in the front passenger seat hit his head against the wind shield and got his head cracked as well.

The Cielo was reduced to the size of a M800 after that collision. I can't imagine what they would have gone through if the car was doing 120+.

You never realise it until you actually see it happen in front of you.

But, the scariest bit was the fact that 15 secs before this happened, i was thinking of racing him. Luckily i backed out as the conditions were wet and this was on the NH 48 (hope i got that right), the road between Bangalore and Mangalore some 20 kms from Hassan (mangalore side).

For those who think a collision at 70 won't do much harm, wait till you see it happen. So, buckle up no matter where you sit.

Shan2nu
Old 27th March 2005, 00:22   #32
BHPian

Well well, if I'm not wrong, Hyundai did same thing with Accent CRDi ad last year isn't it ?

They were technnicaly right that time on Euro III compliance but had to take the ad off in the end after court ruled against them.

So what I'm amused is why they want to get into such things time and agin ? Just failure to get market attention ?

Regards

Umesh
Old 27th March 2005, 00:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

no matter how many you fit in your car, no ones gonna stop you! Noticed that and have been in that position. Although now because of the seatbelt rule, it'll be difficult to seat three people in the front [including driver]. But you could still dump them in the back and don't get caught.
Old 27th March 2005, 00:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what I'm amused is why they want to get into such things time and agin ? Just failure to get market attention ?
It has everything to do with marketing their products. Nothing wrong in boasting about something they've been certified for. But, when Wagon R and Zen owners have seating capacity entered as 5 in their RC books, it doesn't really make a diff.

Shan2nu
Old 27th March 2005, 00:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

One small request, although racing on streets that have traffic on them, and on highways [single road] are very very dangerous, I'd like to add that please do not race with people especially if they have members of family/friends in their car/bike. For no reason, the other's life also gets involved in the case of any event and may be fatal. Just because of someone's pride/stupidity, someone else loses his/her life. I've seen this mostly on bikes, where some guys want to impress their girl behind and do silly stuff of tilting the bike, trying to race, etc. I just feel soo bad for them.
Old 28th March 2005, 11:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:
BTW how many seat belts does the Santro have
Santro Xing does have 5 seat belts... Four regular ones and one lap belt for the rear middle passanger.
Old 28th March 2005, 19:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
Santro Xing does have 5 seat belts... Four regular ones and one lap belt for the rear middle passanger.
oh... thats why they are making this hue and cry.
anyways no worries for wagonr owners as RC shows seating capacity of 5.

Happy ending to the story.
Old 29th March 2005, 13:30   #38
BHPian

Mods, forgive me if this was supposed to be posted in a new thread.

I don't know whether any of you noticed the latest Ford Fusion Ad. They were comparing it to other cars 'conveniently'. For power and GC they were comparing it to NHC, while for FE they omitted it. Isn't it cheating ?

Last edited by skidrock : 29th March 2005 at 13:31.
Old 29th March 2005, 13:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidrock
Mods, forgive me if this was supposed to be posted in a new thread.

I don't know whether any of you noticed the latest Ford Fusion Ad. They were comparing it to other cars 'conveniently'. For power and GC they were comparing it to NHC, while for FE they omitted it. Isn't it cheating ?
No it is not. Marketing works that way. If people go ahead and buy a fusion based on this ad then they are dumb.
Old 29th March 2005, 15:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
And how many seat belts does wagonr and zen have? If WagonR's RC says it has a seating cap of 5 and provides only 4 seatbelts, then thats not good, is it?

On a sidenote... boy do we love bashing Hyundai here!
Old 29th March 2005, 15:34   #41
Team-BHP Support

The ARAI have sent a letter expressing its discontent with Hyundai's advertisement.

http://www.business-standard.com/com...dx=1&lselect=0
Old 29th March 2005, 15:35   #42
BHPian

And now this...

http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/mar/29santro.htm
Old 29th March 2005, 15:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm.... seems the only objection ARAI has is that the advt doesnt specify what other models the Hyundai ad was comparing santro with. ARAI has not denied issuing the 5 seater status to Xing... has it?
LOL funny how Rediff's article is titled "A 5-Door santro?"
Old 29th March 2005, 18:34   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Just read about ARAIs letter to hyundai in the mid day today.
Looks like Hyundai USA has sent some marketing people to India so they can lie and cheat us as they did with the power figures in US.
As for wrong ads, anyone remember the Corsa one where they state that we should not be fooled by other ads as they only tell half the story.
Now that was the worst ad i have seen and to top it off, they themselves have not told us the full story.
Now coming to safety,
I feel that most of hyundais cars are unsafe. My brother was banged by a truck in his santro, his car went out of control, banged 5 other cars, he broke his hand and hurt some other stuff too.
Now this does not sound bad but he was wearing a seatbelt and travelling at 60 kmph.
Its really sad on the part of hyundai.
Old 29th March 2005, 20:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

This is the real reason for this hue and cry:
"Sources also said that fact that sales of WagonR in February overtook that of Santro has put Hyundai on the defence, which in effect prompted this fresh campaign citing space differences in the models. "
source - http://www.business-standard.com/com...dx=1&lselect=0

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks