Team-BHP - Buy car in state or out of state (Major price difference)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Buy car in state or out of state (Major price difference) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/46483-buy-car-state-out-state-major-price-difference.html)

Folks,

I noticed that most cars and even the new Honda City costs much less if I buy it in Goa compared to the price in Pune. I'm planning on picking up a new vehicle, most probably the New Honda City in the coming month.

The ANHC S-AT costs 9,43,249/- on road in Goa and the same model costs 10,19,604/- OTR in Pune. A difference of Rs. 76,000/-.

I have a Goa address too, but primarily work in Pune and spend a month in Goa for vacations. I'm wondering on the cons of driving a Goa registered vehicle in Pune. Is it worth doing this considering the 76,000 saving ?

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoenthusiast (Post 993740)
Folks,

I noticed that most cars and even the new Honda City costs much less if I buy it in Goa compared to the price in Pune. I'm planning on picking up a new vehicle, most probably the New Honda City in the coming month.

The ANHC S-AT costs 9,43,249/- on road in Goa and the same model costs 10,19,604/- OTR in Pune. A difference of Rs. 76,000/-.

I have a Goa address too, but primarily work in Pune and spend a month in Goa for vacations. I'm wondering on the cons of driving a Goa registered vehicle in Pune. Is it worth doing this considering the 76,000 saving ?

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks

Keep yourself updated time to time with the latest electricity bills/monthly maintenance/Goa Petrol Pump bills/phone bills of the goa address whenever you go there. secondly, get a duplicate goa driving licence with the same name & addess of the car owner in case you get caught. Mostly it wont create problems as Pune police is not as strict as Mumbai Police.

Thanks for the quick reply Anilkalvani, yes I do have a Goa Driving Licence.
I'm wondering if there are other cons in terms of problems with the law incase you get into a mishap with an outstation vehicle. Also late night driving, would they bother an outstation vehicle more ? and any other issues that I don't foresee at the moment ? Is it worth the cost saving of 75k.

You would have paid the road tax in Goa and will be driving in Pune. Usually, the police does not question the white board vehicles (pvt vehicles), but even if they question white board vehicles, then you have to be ready with the answer saying that you have come to pune only for sight seeing and not for staying there. But if they dig deep into this, you may get caught.

You can buy the vehicle in Goa but you have to pay the road tax of MH as well as Octroi (?) as you will be using in MH.

Quote:

You can buy the vehicle in Goa but you have to pay the road tax of MH as well as Octroi (?) as you will be using in MH.
paying the road tax and octroi in maharastra means it like he has to spend the difference he has saved, right? correct me if i am wrong.
similarly in south the difference between chennai/TN and pondicherry(union territory) is around 40k for indigo cs tdi (OTR). wayback in the 1990s chennai people prefer to get vehicles registered at pondy. but TN govt intiated drive against it and now this is under control

Hi Friends,

Bumping an old thread !!
Would like to know from Pune BHPians on using a car which is registered in another state ?
Here is the deal:
I am planning on purchasing a Storme, and the deal is that we have a house in Baroda where my parents are living currently.
The Tata dealer in Baroda is known to us and also the RTO and other costs come out to be substantially lower if I buy the car from Baroda.
Ideally I would have skipped this option, however the period of our stay in Pune is not decided. There are heavy chances that we might have to move out of Pune in another 6 - 12 months.
Plus we keep driving down to Baroda quite often. So it wont be very difficult to procure toll receipts and Fuel bills.
My DL also has the Baroda Address.
Though I have been in Pune for quite some time now, I have only driven Pune Registered cars. So I do not know what is the attitude of the traffic cops for out of state registered cars.
Need Advice from the team now ! :)
Thanks !

Driving a GJ registered car in Pune should not be a problem IMO. Rarely have I come across a special drive / check for out-of-state cars. It is a different story when it comes to vehicles from J&K, Bihar or the NE states as a lot of youngsters from these place study in Pune & prefer to get their existing vehicles here rather than buying a new / used one. The cops keep a look out for such vehicles just to make a quick buck. I feel GJ registration is comparatively safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolrain (Post 3183236)
Driving a GJ registered car in Pune should not be a problem IMO. Rarely have I come across a special drive / check for out-of-state cars. It is a different story when it comes to vehicles from J&K, Bihar or the NE states as a lot of youngsters from these place study in Pune & prefer to get their existing vehicles here rather than buying a new / used one. The cops keep a look out for such vehicles just to make a quick buck. I feel GJ registration is comparatively safe.

Actually I have been driving GJ and MH cars interstate since a long time bearing original address of registration. I feel its just a matter of your luck and depends on the mood of the traffic cop. The easiest escape is often the unofficial way, stating the vehicle is being driven in Maharashtra for a few months only and worst can be forcing you to pay one year road tax (non-refundable).

I own a Cruze AT registered in Haryana in September 2012 with an ongoing car loan. My job change require me to relocate to Pune very soon and I want to take the Cruze with me. My duration of stay in Pune will be for a minimum period of 1 year. Can you please let me know the overall procedure required for obtaining all permits (in Gurgaon and Pune) to drive my car hassle free in Pune and costs and timelines involved.

I have already read several posts in this regard but am a little confused and many of these post are outdated. Broadly I am aware of the NOC requirement and paying an X amount of road tax ? I am in a rush and am trying to convince my new employer to bear this cos.t Will appreciate all the help here.please:

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kch82 (Post 3265236)
My duration of stay in Pune will be for a minimum period of 1 year.

If you are moving to Poona only for an year, then why to get into lengthy process of obtaining NOC, paying tax and then obtaining new number (optional). many people from other states (including me) are using there vehicles here, and police generally do not harass four wheelers and their drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shubhendra (Post 3265247)
If you are moving to Poona only for an year, then why to get into lengthy process of obtaining NOC, paying tax and then obtaining new number (optional). many people from other states (including me) are using there vehicles here, and police generally do not harass four wheelers and their drivers.

Thanks Shubhendra. But 1 year is the minimum what I am looking at. It might stretch to more. I had read that the NOC granted is valid for 3-6 months ? You did not procure any documents whatsoever ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kch82 (Post 3265265)
Thanks Shubhendra. But 1 year is the minimum what I am looking at. It might stretch to more. I had read that the NOC granted is valid for 3-6 months ? You did not procure any documents whatsoever ?

Why i asked you not to get into this Process is if you would go back to Gurgaon after an year then you will have to repeat this entire process. you take NOC on self name for Poona, Submit NOC in Poona RTO, pay tax and convert to MH number. Also check with your agent in Gurgaon, as you are paying roadtax for MH you might be entitled to get part of your road tax refunded by HR RTO (one of my friend from Poona sold his Thar after few months to out of state buyer and he got part of road tax he paid).
I buy all my vehicles from hometown, use them across India, and send them back to hometown to get them sold. in last 4 years i have changed 4 states (UP, Delhi, West bengal, Maharashtra) excluding my home state (MP)

Hi Folks, Requesting recent experience on this topic from fellow members. I am planning to buy Fiat Linea T-jet from Vellore (TN) as the dealer there is known and giving me higher discounts than what's possible in Bangalore (KA). Is it possible that I can drive in a temp registration from Vellore to Bangalore and do a registration in Bangalore after paying the road taxes ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssateesh (Post 3773580)
Hi Folks, Requesting recent experience on this topic from fellow members. I am planning to buy Fiat Linea T-jet from Vellore (TN) as the dealer there is known and giving me higher discounts than what's possible in Bangalore (KA). Is it possible that I can drive in a temp registration from Vellore to Bangalore and do a registration in Bangalore after paying the road taxes ?

Yes, this is totally possible, as long as the Vellore dealer is willing to give a Form 21 (??) to the RTO in Bangalore. The Karnataka RTO website http://www.kar.nic.in is reasonably informative regarding procedures
However, I am not sure about Karnataka wanting to recover VAT/Sales Tax from you, because you purchased the car in TN.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiloAlpha (Post 3773705)
Yes, this is totally possible, as long as the Vellore dealer is willing to give a Form 21 (??) to the RTO in Bangalore. The Karnataka RTO website http://www.kar.nic.in is reasonably informative regarding procedures
However, I am not sure about Karnataka wanting to recover VAT/Sales Tax from you, because you purchased the car in TN.

Thanks. Yes I am also concerned about the VAT/sales tax recovery procedure if any. I couldn't find relevant info on the website. I see the exshowroom prices have ~1K difference with Vellore being higher.

Bangalore - 9,93,328
Vellore - 9,94,492