Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 13:13   #61
BANNED

My opinion - front reminds me of the estillo; rear of the Indica, and the console of the Vista. A true "hybrid" car!!! Unlike the estillo, the whole is certainly more attractive than sum of the parts.

And about those comments on air scoop and steering wheel; IIRC, the three spoke steering and body colour bumpers and air scoop are all options/ available in higher models only. The real low end one comes with two spoke steering and black fenders.

And their willingness to let the cars being photographed and actually allowing access does reveal a good, "transparent" strategy.

Quote:
I'd seen couple of black Nanos without any camouflage..guess what one Nano (which had 3 guys in it) was toeing a SAFARI This was in Chinchwad, near Pune
Guess that tells something about NANO power
They were shooting an ad??

Sumos initially had a campaign showing one sumo towing a 6 axle gas "bullet". Probably, they are trying something like that here?

Edit @METISWHG is that stuff for a seperate thread?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 30th September 2008 at 13:17. Reason: Avoiding multiple posts,
Old 30th September 2008, 13:16   #62
Senior - BHPian

Great pics byzanram!
Were the cars diesel or petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzanram View Post
Car seems cute, although the behind looks more like an auto with the rear tyres pointing outwards.
The tyres seem straight to me.
Old 30th September 2008, 13:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

It was announced at the time of Nano's unveiling that Tata will try to further reduce the cost of producing Nano. You can already notice the result of at least one such attempt - the headrest design. The new hollow design should reduce the manufacturing cost. I'll also improve the vision of rear seat occupants. Smart thinking!

Last edited by directinjection : 30th September 2008 at 13:51.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
What do you say for the 5 lac i10 for that looks matter.
OT: They have to be students of Tata's. And tata's engineers giving Hyundai's engineers gyan on design, sourcing and logistics.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

1)
After searching for a specific issue through more than 550 magazines of automobiles, I have reconfirmed that the Nano's hatch wont open. And the car is rear engined. I hope the access to engine and other parts is not affected by this design. IMO, for such a car that is based on utility and low cost of ownership ( includes maintainence ), they should have provided a properly opening hatch.

2)
I have in another thread criticized the poor design of instrument cluster in Indica Vista. But for the Nano, IMO, TATA has done a better job. The readability is good and the placement is higher, so nearer to driver's line of vision.

3)O.T.
Quote:
Those who complain about this car being a traffic nuisance are very selfish in my opinion. If we can buy/have a car, why not let my neighbour have one too? If not for this dream car, many will spend their whole life lugging around their family of 5 in a 100cc 2wheeler
I admire your attitude, but I am myself against Nano. I dont have any problems even if my neighbours buy 4.5 mtr. long car, let alone Nano. But the public that Nano is going to target, well, that public dont even have sense to park their Rs. 40K motorcycles and dont have sense to drive the same. Think what will happen when they are out with Nano. Yes sometimes drivers of luxury cars also dont have sense, but they are a lot less in number so a bit more tolerable and we dont meet them in the same frequency.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:33   #66
BHPian

nice scoop buddy
yellow looks great on Nano
hope to have one nano for my wife
Old 30th September 2008, 14:34   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
I do not think tata has any plan for this, if we get AC and power window etc that will be enough. Don't expect too much from people's Car.
Well initially TATA planned the NANO with a CVT gearbox but then launched it with a manual one. The CVT I believe is still under development and may come at a later stage,
Old 30th September 2008, 14:44   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1)
But the public that Nano is going to target, well, that public dont even have sense to park their Rs. 40K motorcycles and dont have sense to drive the same.
I am part of that public. Hopefully I can prove you wrong...
Old 30th September 2008, 14:45   #69

What would be perfect is an electric Nano with a CVT. Cheap urban transport!
I read somewhere that they've made an electric Nano to try and achieve 100km/lt.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:47   #70
Senior - BHPian

Good pics..cars look good....had seen a newsclip on some channel about nanos being tested around pune.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:48   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I know what you mean. However, if you observe, most chaps with their family of 4 on a two wheeler, are a bit more careful than other bikers while riding. It's these guys who Tata is targetting as customers. Ofcourse, a bike carrying 4 is a hazard. It's likely to go out of control with all that weight. But, if my car had to hit something, I'd rather hit the Nano with 4 people and give the occupants a better chance of escaping with few or no injuries than a bike with 4 on board and almost surely injuring someone seriously. So, even if the driver of a Nano is stupid, atleast his innocent children are relatively safe.
The maniacs who race through traffic and cut lanes without warning and reason at mad speeds and make life miserable for other road users will not change. They'll still buy bikes. A Pulsar or CBZ is much quicker, more agile, more fuel efficient than a Nano and still costs half as much.
Spot on. And another thing is that its not just bikers that have bad manners, lots of car drivers are equally bad as well. Leave alone the worst of the lot like trucks, corporation vehicles, call taxis, auto drivers etc, even a lot of private car owners have a really bad attitude. At least bikes being small are in most cases a nuisance more than a danger, however people in cars driving rashly, or while drunk, i would say pose a much bigger threat and are much more scary.

Bad road manners is all-pervasive in our country, it has little to do with what vehicle one drives. For example, try crossing the road at any intersection, even one that is clearly designated as a zebra crossing: most car drivers, on seeing a pedestrian wanting to cross, instead of slowing down will try to accelerate with the objective of scaring the pedestrian off or going through before them.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:50   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Nice observation Ruff Ryder!

The car looks better from the front. I think would look much better in Black or Red color.
thanx Ali..the Nano would def look better in all the bright colors, with the same color bumpers..
Old 30th September 2008, 15:06   #73
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Spot on. And another thing is that its not just bikers that have bad manners, lots of car drivers are equally bad as well. Leave alone the worst of the lot like trucks, corporation vehicles, call taxis, auto drivers etc, even a lot of private car owners have a really bad attitude. At least bikes being small are in most cases a nuisance more than a danger, however people in cars driving rashly, or while drunk, i would say pose a much bigger threat and are much more scary.

Bad road manners is all-pervasive in our country, it has little to do with what vehicle one drives. For example, try crossing the road at any intersection, even one that is clearly designated as a zebra crossing: most car drivers, on seeing a pedestrian wanting to cross, instead of slowing down will try to accelerate with the objective of scaring the pedestrian off or going through before them.
Cant agree with you more. Given the fact that I've graduated (or call it becoming sedate) from 2 wheelers to 4, I think it will be unfair to assume all bikers on the road are a nuisance. Albeit, while driving I do get irritated with a few but then we need to keep in mind a lot of things about roads and road behaviours. They are not isolated attributes - they are rather natural extensions of our social space and social behaviour. Unfortunately, I have seen the same attitude at our airports!

Anyway, coming back to the thread, it is a wonderful watershed. The cheapest car in the world being produced by none other than our own company in India. And it is not an auto rickshaw. I will say it is probably a full fledged car. What will be more important after a year or couple of years our govt. spending more money in expanding existing roads and improving the existing infrastructure. Changes, at times, need to be brought in at the peril of our own comforts. But it will mark definite long term improvement and shift focus into infrastructure development permanently. Nanoed will be our ways of lives in years to come
Old 30th September 2008, 15:10   #74
BANNED

Quote:
After searching for a specific issue through more than 550 magazines of automobiles, I have reconfirmed that the Nano's hatch wont open.
Ask them (thhe Maruti A.S.S.es) how they access the Omni's engine, and you have your answer.
Old 30th September 2008, 15:23   #75
BHPian

Ram Sir & Madame Ram,
Thanks for sharing such good quality pictures of Beautiful Nano.

It is unbelievable, Many of us thought Nano won't be proper car.
But the Nano that Tata Motors has developed is not just a proper car but also very beautiful and innovative at that.

To Goswami Ji,
Sir from what I have read, one can access the engine from inside of the car, one will have to fold the rear seats. The logic behind bonding the hatch is to make the rear rigid and at the same time cut down the cost. It is bonded with industrial strength adhesive. This would be uncomfortable arrangement, but what more can one ask for that price point. Hopefully due to its size, engine won't get heated up too much otherwise it would really be bad for car mechanics to fix this engine in Indian temperature.

To all the Seniors in the forum,

Sir i have observed almost all the Pictures and Videos of Nano every made available on the interwebs. In none of the pictures or videos, the Nano had its rear seat windows rolled down.
My fear is that like the hatch the windows are bonded to the rear doors (Cannot be rolled down).

Mr Ram, did you notice crank handle to lower the rear seat windows ?

Thanking You,
Anmol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks