Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 09:24   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Wanted a Bolero with a Sportier Diesel for Private Use!

@anjan:

I disagree with you on the power think. As cyrus would say, this vehicle moves like stink and cannot even be remotely compared with the 68 bhp XD3P engine. The bhp/torque numbers are almost double the XD3P. Gearbox is NGT530R which is also better than the old Bolero BA10.

When it was launched Mahindra thought they could milk the customer by putting a modern powerplant in a dated platform. However, that strategy didn't work and soon there was permanent discounts to be had and for the longest time the price wasn't even available on the website. My guess is that Marketing reached for the stars with the pricing and it backfired.

Right now this is the only option for Bolero in metros due to BSIV compliance. The DI Turbo engine is not BSIV. This is the same M-eagle engine as in the XYLO and Thar. If you look in the Thar engine bay, it even has the Bolero CRDe sticker in some places. Regarding the interiors, it is after a rural people mover/govt department vehicle, whey would Mahindra invest too much in interiors. It is a real step up from other modes of rural transport.
Old 14th January 2011, 11:33   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Now, it's time for me to buy another vehicle, and since I am not a sucker for Electronics or Gargets, I'd like to go for a Thar or a Bolero myself.
It is not about Electronics and gadgets. It is about comfort, convenience and ease of operation which the Bolero doesn't have.
You did the right thing in going for the Logan. The Bolero is simply too crude for a family vehicle when it comes to its interiors, ergonomics and comfort. Please take a very very hard look at it before signing the dotted line.
Old 14th January 2011, 12:13   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Bolero MDI vs Bolero CRDe

I got a chance to drive the Bolero CRDe Storm some time back. The CRDe engine is truly a gem when compared to the MDI engine. The NVH in CRDe is in the league of more expensive SUVs like Scorpio and Safari whereas the MDI feels closer a LCV/Agricultural equipment.

On the move the MDI pulls decently at start but runs out of breath as soon as it crosses 2000rpm line, performance overall is good for commercial usage but for this age and time it's annoyingly slow. The CRDe in comparison feels like a rocket, just like other Mahindra CR engine this engine too pulls strongly from low rpm. This CRDe is not as free revving as the m-hawk in the Scorpio but still feels very good.

The ride feels stiffly setup compared to the Scorpio, it even feels better composed on good roads where the Scorpio feels bouncy but downside is the Suspension does not soak bad road as well as the Scorpio. On roads with deeper potholes the Bolero crashes badly enough to shake up the skeletons of the passengers. Handling is decent at low speeds but starts to get scary much before you hit the ton, The Steering feels bad and is one of the worst PS i have ever seen till date.

Interior and Ergonomics are POOR. Overall i would pick a Scorpio LX over the Bolero CRDe, yes it costs more but is worth the extra price. The Bolero MDI comes at a VFM price but the Bolero CRDe feels expensive for the price it is sold at.
Old 14th January 2011, 12:36   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It is not about Electronics and gadgets. It is about comfort, convenience and ease of operation which the Bolero doesn't have.
I don't think you can make a generalised statement like that. My primary reason for buying the Bolero was that I more comfortable with the Bolero driving position than Scorpio / Safari driving position. The comfort and ergonomics factors are quite different to each individual.
Old 14th January 2011, 14:31   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You did the right thing in going for the Logan. The Bolero is simply too crude for a family vehicle when it comes to its interiors, ergonomics and comfort. Please take a very very hard look at it before signing the dotted line.
Logan was not a wrong decision at all, but that is .

I have no problems, with the Crude (read Utilitarian) nature of the Bolero, and I'd personally be happy to own the VLX version if it comes with a 4WD. In 2007, 4WD was not a requirement for me, now, in 2011, it is! The reason, that my family did not agree for the Bolero in 2007, was because of the way they perceived it as a "Doodhwaala" vehicle. Although, I always love the way it looks.

Point is, if I have an option in the market (Sigh!) to choose between a Bolero VLX 4WD and a Thar CRDe with AC/HT, I'd anyday pick the Bolero. Wishful thinking, I know!
Old 14th January 2011, 20:52   #141
BHPian

Re: Bolero - Beast got better with CRde Heart

After a couple of recent incidents I'm thinking "Bolero -- Beast got more dangerous with CRde Heart" would be a more apt title. Due to health reasons I'd stopped my frequent outstations trips to the in-laws' estate and hired drivers to drive my wife instead. But one bugger went off the road and came back with a crack in the windshield & another champ banged into a police barrier damaging the bumper and the sides. Luckily there were no injuries to anyone.

Both the charlies claimed the brakes were not holding while I found nothing wrong with the brakes. I'm thinking that since majority of these drivers are used to driving sedans and hatchbacks, the car-like power of the crde makes them drive this like a car which then leads them to their undoing. But that aside, I'm wondering whether M&M fully thought through the handling & safety aspects of inserting the crde into the bolero. And to think of a bolero with the Mhawk!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks