Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 11:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Extended Warranty : Worth it ?

Extended warranty is like insurance - contingent in nature, good to have but one hopes the need to invoke it never arises! I took the two year EW right at the time of buying the car. In fact it was adjusted against the Rs 10k freebies offered by the dealer and I bought the extra fittngs separately, of course from the MGA. That way they don't have any leeway to wriggle out of warranty claims at a later date.

It will be prudent to buy the optional fittings which may void the warranty from MGA, even though they may be more expensive.

IMO the view that a new car will hardly have issues for the first few years so EW need not be purchased is akin to saying a healthy young adult does not need health insurance!

Last edited by Gansan : 1st July 2011 at 11:26.
Old 1st July 2011, 12:05   #32
BHPian

There are a lot of exclusions in extended warranty and hassles in getting the dealership to avail it.

Only if u have a really good service guy you will be able to take advantage of it.

Else in most cases, the warranty term just expires without any usage

Cheers
Old 1st July 2011, 13:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Shouldnt the insurance premium get reduced if you have extended warranty? Doesnt it make sense?
The insurance (and NCB) should have a dependency on whether a car has extended warranty or not! Can someone throw light on this?
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 14:03   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Mods, can we have a poll added on whether t-bhpians prefer extended warranty or not? Should be interesting to see how people look at it.

I would suggest 3 options for poll.

1. I prefer extended warranty and I have replaced items under it, free of cost.

2. I prefer extended warranty though I have never used it

3. I dont prefer extended warranty.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Its more about the relation you share with the service station rather than the 'rule book'. If you share a brilliant relation with a service station you can replace 3/4th of your car in warranty, Trust me.
I find that statement a bit amusing - EW depending on 'relation' with MASS. The vehicle owner is a customer and MASS is a service provider - the EW is a written contract between the two and it should be honoured by the 'rule book'. EW depending on 'relation' means one is at the mercy of SA and this kind of smacks of bias and preferential treatment.

That said I do think EW is a good thing. One should read the fine print and be prepared to enforce it. And not do soemthing that voids the warranty.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Shouldnt the insurance premium get reduced if you have extended warranty? Doesnt it make sense?
The insurance (and NCB) should have a dependency on whether a car has extended warranty or not! Can someone throw light on this?
No. Insurance is payable in case of accidental damage, while warranty covers mfg defects.
Old 1st July 2011, 15:03   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
EW depending on 'relation' means one is at the mercy of SA
It definitely doesn't mean "at the mercy" of the SA, rather it eases up on the "push" factor needed to get the work done.

For eg, there are couple of people who mentioned they had to call up the regional sales officer to get the SA to work on the replacement under the EW.

In my case, the SA calls me up and tells me that the unit is conked off and will cost a 4K to replace. I told him that we will look into it later without thinking of EW. After 30 mins, he calls up again and tells me that he noticed the EW booklet in the car and so we can get it under EW.

Its a good difference between the friendly & "extra" friendly SAs isn't it?
Old 1st July 2011, 15:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
In my case, the SA calls me up and tells me that the unit is conked off and will cost a 4K to replace. I told him that we will look into it later without thinking of EW. After 30 mins, he calls up again and tells me that he noticed the EW booklet in the car and so we can get it under EW.

Its a good difference between the friendly & "extra" friendly SAs isn't it?
If the SA does that for everybody in a similar situation then kudos to him. But if he does that for you and someone in the same situation with him has to resort to contacting the higher-ups to get a EW claim processed then IMO it is an unacceptable situation. Something that should definitely not happen. his behaviour towards you may make you happy but do remember the same guy may be completely spoiling somebody else's day by unduly harassing him/her.

I reiterate my belief - relation with SA should have nothing to do with a legitimate warranty claim.

Last edited by Cesc : 1st July 2011 at 15:21.
Old 1st July 2011, 16:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find that statement a bit amusing - EW depending on 'relation' with MASS. The vehicle owner is a customer and MASS is a service provider - the EW is a written contract between the two and it should be honoured by the 'rule book'. EW depending on 'relation' means one is at the mercy of SA and this kind of smacks of bias and preferential treatment.

That said I do think EW is a good thing. One should read the fine print and be prepared to enforce it. And not do soemthing that voids the warranty.
Well a rule book says a lot of things which we might 'not be' doing for the company to honour the extended warranty. Upsize tyres and alloys, Higher Wattage bulbs, Tuning boxes, After market Air filters. A friendly SA will let some of this pass and still honour your warranty. If you don't have any of these you don't have anything to worry about anything anyway.

Its like knowing someone in your everyday walk of life. You can't get away with murder but small favours can always be taken.
Old 10th July 2011, 18:45   #40
BHPian

Definitely a worth it. I had it for my Swift VDi. The following are the changed under extended warranty. All these are done after 2 years. 1) Water(Coolant) Motor 2)Suspension items 3) Glow plug
Old 16th August 2013, 23:00   #41
BHPian

With a whopping 12+k for extended warranty for a Maruti (compared to a 3/4k earlier), is it still worthy?? With the conditions they put, it feels really frustrating to go for it. Its like loosing my freedom of keeping my vehicle as how I want for example alloy and horn to name a few.

In a way they keep us going to the dealership only.

They dont share proper documents of ext warranty or even Maruti doesnt mention things clearly.

And they push it like hell while purchasing a new car. I do understand that day by day parts price gets increased but arent quality supposed to too?

Pricey Maruti.

Last edited by ganesc : 16th August 2013 at 23:02.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 19:33   #42

Quote:
If the SA does that for everybody in a similar situation then kudos to him. But if he does that for you and someone in the same situation with him has to resort to contacting the higher-ups to get a EW claim processed then IMO it is an unacceptable situation. Something that should definitely not happen. his behaviour towards you may make you happy but do remember the same guy may be completely spoiling somebody else's day by unduly harassing him/her.

I reiterate my belief - relation with SA should have nothing to do with a legitimate warranty claim.
I totally agree with you mate.....Maruti should have clear rules on what parts are replaceable under EW, even normal warranty for that matter, considering mods like aftermarket ICE, alloy rims and stuff like that, and any of this depending on a customer's relation with the SA is a clear no-no
Old 15th November 2013, 21:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy741 View Post
I totally agree with you mate.....Maruti should have clear rules on what parts are replaceable under EW, even normal warranty for that matter, considering mods like aftermarket ICE, alloy rims and stuff like that, and any of this depending on a customer's relation with the SA is a clear no-no
Maruti already has clear rules - you buy the overpriced "Maruti Genuine Accessories" and you don't void your warranty. Same holds good for other manufacturers too.

Its not a question of warranty being at the discretion of SA even after you do everything as per the rule. You have a very responsive escalation matrix for Maruti in case that happens.

Coming to the behavior of SAs, I've always felt that they treat us in the same way we treat them. If we are friendly with them and are reasonable with them during regular services where there might be small delivery delays etc. due to understandable limitations and we don't make a fuss about it, they usually does the same thing when it comes to warranty claims.

If you are the 'paisa vasool' or the 'rule book' type who makes a scene quoting your rights every time you give your car for service, chances are that they'll treat you in the same way when the ball is in their court. If you've done everything as per the rule, they'll not create any problems for you. If you've violated some of the terms, it is up to them whether to allow that specific instance. Company directive would be to deny in case of a violation. So they'll be playing by the rule book.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:21   #44
BHPian

Today I got the shocker from Maruti with regards to EW.

My Sx4 (D) combination switch and wheel bearing needs replacement. The car was purchased in July 2012 and was covered in EW for 2 yrs (valid till July 2016). I called up my SA in Maruti and he said, in 4th of EW only Engine & Gearbox is covered, hence I to pay for these parts, which is absolute shocker to me.
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Today I got the shocker from Maruti with regards to EW.

My Sx4 (D) combination switch and wheel bearing needs replacement. The car was purchased in July 2012 and was covered in EW for 2 yrs (valid till July 2016). I called up my SA in Maruti and he said, in 4th of EW only Engine & Gearbox is covered, hence I to pay for these parts, which is absolute shocker to me.
I may be wrong but I guess nobody gives warranty for wheel bearings, even for a new car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks