Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 09:31   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Better not, Karnataka is the most corrupt state after UP, Bihar, etc. If I wasn't a native, I would have moved the company out long back.

ye man, so much corruption As nano launch, waiting period may start for at least 1-3 month.
Old 8th October 2008, 09:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Gujarat is most investor-friendly state there is in India. Modi or no Modi, Guj was on forefront in industrialisation since ages. It is said Japanese are the most patriotic people on this planet. In India, their equivalent can only be seen in Gujarat. As soon as the news broke out of Nano coming to Sanand, people of that village pooled whatever little they had, bought and distrubuted sweets to one and all. They welcomed Tata with open arms, sang and danced and felt happy that Tata chose their village. And they said they have not done a favour by offering incentives to Tata. Rather, Tata have done them a favour by choosing their village over all other places in India. Wow, I really slaute their loyalty to their state. Contrast this with people in Singur who were either indifferent or critic of Tatas. Forget leaders, people and their attitudes make all the difference. I wish people of AP were this loyal. One visit of Tata officials, and people staged "rasta roko" near Hyderabad.

As for Mamta Banerjee, wonder what is her passtime now. I am sure she must be repenting why she drove Nano out. Hers is a classic case of winning the battle but losing the war?
Old 8th October 2008, 10:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

What Mr.Modi has done for Gujarat is an example of how agile, competent and a people person any CM should be and act as their duty towards their fellow citizens. With Nano's entry comes a lot of opportunities apart from the Surface transport that Gujarat will be availing in the distant future. I just hope the car does equally well with the masses...
Old 8th October 2008, 10:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Interesting. About 30 acres of the land being sold to Tata belonged to that one farmer, and he was even willing to give land for free!!!
In the end he settled for less than market price, so that Tata's could come in early. Amazing.

Last edited by srijit : 8th October 2008 at 10:44.
Old 8th October 2008, 10:51   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is said Japanese are the most patriotic people on this planet. In India, their equivalent can only be seen in Gujarat.
Plus, to see the common man respect his State's CM is an exception, rather than the norm, in India. Modi is an excellent administrator.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:05   #36
Team-BHP Support

Apparently, Karanataka lost out as they were scared that the humble farmer would pull MB style stunts!
Old 8th October 2008, 11:19   #37
BHPian

The qustion mark (?) in the thread title can be removed now.

Here's Tata Motor's official statement
Quote:
Tata Motors today announced that the mother plant for the Nano will be relocated to Sanand in Gujarat. The company had received overwhelming support from several states for relocating the plant. After examining various sites in these states and carefully evaluating offers from the respective governments, the company has concluded that the site at Sanand and the offer from the Gujarat Government is in the best interest of the project.
The integrated project, comprising the mother plant and the vendor park, will come up on an area of about 1100 acres. The plant, to begin with, will produce 250,000 cars per annum. The capacity is expandable up to 500,000 cars per annum. The project, including Tata Motors' plant, vendor facilities and service providers, will together generate over 10,000 direct and indirect jobs.
]Speaking at the announcement, Mr. Ratan N. Tata, Chairman of Tata Sons and Tata Motors, said, "
The site in Gujarat, already under the possession of the state government, will help Tata Motors establish a new dedicated mother plant with the shortest possible time lag and least possible incremental project cost. This is Tata Motors' maiden venture in Gujarat, and will broad-base the company's manufacturing footprint. We are happy to contribute to Gujarat's strong industrial progress by creating an auto cluster, which will have a cascading impact on the state's economy
While awaiting the Sanand plant's completion, Tata Motors will explore the possibility of manufacturing the Nano at its existing facilities at Pune and Pantnagar, and launch the car in the last quarter of this financial year.

Last edited by swale84 : 8th October 2008 at 11:21.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Mr. Ratan Tata has mentioned that corporate rivals also fuelled the Singur problem. So going to Gujarat may not really mean peace of mind for the Tatas.
Nobody in India can challenge Modi in GJ. He will make it happen come what may. We all know how tough he can be and have seen this. Hence I feel tatas can sleep peacefully rest assured that the project is in safe land.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:32   #39
BHPian

Great for Gujrath, Wish it had come to Dharwad though considering the proximity to Pune. But having our own Humble Farmer torment TATA during Telco days for some expansion and the Power crisis we are facing in the State of Karnataka, Gujrath was the best bet. Nano Gujrath ave che!
Old 8th October 2008, 11:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Nobody in India can challenge Modi in GJ. He will make it happen come what may.
I think this may also have been key to the selection of Gujarat - they wouldnt want to risk another Mamta clone elsewhere and so chose a state where the CM is strong and is not likely to be swayed by extra-constitutional 'protests' like those that happend in Singur.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:57   #41
BHPian

I am not a Gujarati. I moved to Ahmedabad few months ago. Having lived in 5 different states earlier, I am extremely impressed by the infrastructure they have built in this state. The roads are a pleasure to drive. There is never a power cut except when there are thunderstorms. There are CNG stations all over the state. There is drinking water despite being drought hit. There are absolutely no mosquitoes. I have become a fan of this government. I am happy for this state for bagging the Nano Project.
Old 8th October 2008, 12:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

I think it went to the best possible place.
Old 8th October 2008, 12:08   #43
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Apparently, Karanataka lost out as they were scared that the humble farmer would pull MB style stunts!
TATA wanted to build Bangalore International Airport in late ninties. But finally Ratan withdraw from it.

Few years later Mr Ramakrishna Hegde stated in public the reasons for TATA's withdrawal.

This must be in TATA's mind because the issue is not even 10 years old and their tormentor at that time is still there even today
Old 8th October 2008, 12:30   #44
Team-BHP Support

I am glad that the state with best business environment won. In Karnataka, even if they had gotten past the humble farmer, they have to deal with harassment from ultra-corrupt government officials at every level.
Old 8th October 2008, 12:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Better not, Karnataka is the most corrupt state after UP, Bihar, etc. If I wasn't a native, I would have moved the company out long back.
To which state would you have moved the company?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks